Picked Up A XR650L Yesterday!!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
And now it begins........

Picked up a new toy yesterday. Found a leftover 06 XR650L Dualsport at a local dealer that a friend of mines marina does all of the watercraft purchases and service through. Got a SMOKING deal on it and it only has 00000.7 miles! :D

Anyway, it will be used for long trips through Baja as well as blasting around/exploring local trails.

It is 100% street legal and the first mods will be a 4.7gallon tank and a nicer seat! :D

Here are a few sneak pics in stock trim (wont last that way for long):

xr650l1.jpg

xr650l2.jpg

xr650l4.jpg

xr650l3.jpg

nomiles.jpg

Last edited:

jrsteffes

Adventurer
Very nice! I've been considering a dual purpose bike but havent looked at them seriously yet. I like the looks of yous!

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Must be nice! I don't know much about bikes but a 650 off road is pretty balsy right?

Ya know I can use your 80 as a chase truck for you :sombrero:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
jrsteffes said:
Very nice! I've been considering a dual purpose bike but havent looked at them seriously yet. I like the looks of yous!

Thanks, yeah, i have been looking/researching for months. There are tons of options out there for your wants/needs. Check out www.thumpertalk.com when you get serious, guys over their are awesome!

The most popular (with the people and magazines) bike right now is the Suzuki DRZ400, 100% street legal, decent power, very affordable and everyone is raving about how bulletproof the engine is.

The DRZ was next on my list but for my 6'3" frame i felt too cramped on it.

The XR650L is also air cooled (one of the few dual sports that is) and that appealed to me because of the simpliciy and ease of maintenence. I live by the "less stuff to go wrong the better" motto! :D

Another reason i went with the XR over the DRZ was the aftermarket support and plentifulness of parts (both in the US and down south). The XR has been around for decades and have a huge following! There are several aftermarket companies all around that are dedicate specifically to the XR's and XL's! Check out this site/candystore: http://www.xrsonly.com/

Also, the 650 is one of the more popular bikes that people ride/race in Mexico so parts would also be plentiful south of the border as well!

Anyway, for what its worth, those are my reasons! :D

Both bikes have electric start as well!

The new 07 KTM's are supposed to be the holy grails of dual sporting. But they arent due out until Dec and will be abour 1-2K more then the XR or DRZ. Might be worth checking them out though!

Shop around and sit on EVERYTHING before you buy!

Good Luck!

Mlachica said:
Must be nice! I don't know much about bikes but a 650 off road is pretty balsy right?

Yes, especially when its allowed to breath with proper jetting, pipe and airbox restrictors removed! :D Also, the larger displacement makes for more tolerable longer range street riding as well! However, it is also pretty heavy too! Going to work on putting it on a diet as well!

Mlachica said:
Ya know I can use your 80 as a chase truck for you :sombrero:

Great minds think alike!

Last edited:
Congrats

I have been riding for 29 years, race enduros and hare scrambles. Motorcycles are my real hooby. I have owned about 10 Honda XR's and they are super bikes. To those that do not know about the Honda Xr's and XL's they are the Toyota Landcruisers of motorcycles. Super bikes and absolutely bulletprof, lots of parts if you need them and just great bikes good for years and years of riding.

Hope you have a great time!!!

I currently ride a 2004 KTM 450 EXC It is street legal as well but I only use it on the streets to tie trails together.

flywgn

Explorer
Great, BM-

I trust that you'll put it to test on 'our' road before they pave the whole thing.

I think that we even have some spare XR parts/tires at Bufeo left over from Andy's Honda days.

Have fun!

Allen R

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
coloradocarlisle said:
Congrats

I have been riding for 29 years, race enduros and hare scrambles. Motorcycles are my real hooby. I have owned about 10 Honda XR's and they are super bikes. To those that do not know about the Honda Xr's and XL's they are the Toyota Landcruisers of motorcycles. Super bikes and absolutely bulletprof, lots of parts if you need them and just great bikes good for years and years of riding.

Hope you have a great time!!!

I currently ride a 2004 KTM 450 EXC It is street legal as well but I only use it on the streets to tie trails together.

That for the vote of confidence in me making the right decision. I also have owned several hondas in the past and am quite fond of them.

Here is my list of previously owned:

• 1983 CR125
    1984 XR250 (favorite dirtbike)
    1987 XR250
    1987 CR250
    1988 CR500
    1992 CBR600F2 (favorite streetbike)
    1993 CBR900RR
    1994 CBR900RR

Here is my list of currently owned :D

• 2005 Accord LX
    1996 Civic DX
    2006 XR650L
    And of course my only non Honda rig is my 93 FZJ80 Cruiser :D

Which Hare Scramble series do you race in? I used to race in the Jolly Roger series back east and would love to get back into it. Please PM with info if ya got it!

Thanks

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
Sweet ride.

This winter i will be converting my 03 WR450 to dual purpose. I opted for the smaller engine due to the fact that it won't see too much pavement, esp no highway use.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Damn I like that bike - I have researched it out and came to the same conclusion... I need one :iagree:

enjoy that ride :smiley_drive:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Those are absolutely excellent! Road worthy and eat up dirt tracks like nothin' else!

Congrats!

-H-

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
expeditionswest said:
Congrats amigo! I think we will need to put together an overland trip with bikes soon :)

Yes Sir! Did my first trip today! A nice 125 miler with 2 other guys :)

Scott, will you be showing up to the ride on this: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2629 :D

The Bike worked great and it felt awesome getting back into the dirt after the long hiatis! I am really looking forward to this build up and i will be documenting every step i do.

Now, who is going to work on the Dual Sport bike icon/smiley!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles