Picked up a Laptop. Which GPS reciever to add?

pismo62

Adventurer
Hi Guys, I finally purchased Laptop, ( Toshiba,Satellite) and was wondering what is working well for the Gps Reciever. 1) Garmin 2) Delorme 3) Microsoft ? After that I plan to jump into Oziexplorer. Thanks for the advice in advance. Guy:safari-rig:

pismo62

Adventurer
Well I have now set up my Oziexplorer mapping program with the help of WhiteThaiger and his CD's. I bought a Garmin etrex Legend CX. as my reciever. I thought about a GPS puck, but the etrex won out due to the hiking we do. So now I get to experiment with it and learn the program. So far I'm impressed with the moving map ablility on the Topo's. I also like how the program uploads your way points to the gps reciever. I'm sure there are several others , but it's new to me.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
pismo62 said:
Well I have now set up my Oziexplorer mapping program with the help of WhiteThaiger and his CD's. I bought a Garmin etrex Legend CX. as my reciever. I thought about a GPS puck, but the etrex won out due to the hiking we do. So now I get to experiment with it and learn the program. So far I'm impressed with the moving map ablility on the Topo's. I also like how the program uploads your way points to the gps reciever. I'm sure there are several others , but it's new to me.

Awesome combo! Congrats, you are going to get many years of highly useful enjoyment out of that setup. That was a good decision to get a GPS that you can take hiking with you.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey pismo,
I am at the same spot in the learning curve as you are with a newly installed ozi & white's maps on my laptop. So please post any cool tricks you figure out or questions so that the rest of us can learn also.
On thing I am having fun with is using my free time at work to play on google earth and mark waypt's. Then I save the .kml file and it loads right into ozi ...make that a route and you are ready to go.
I find that method a bit faster than starting with ozi and I get to use downtime at work.
enjoy
1leglance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne