Photos of mid-sized vehicles - Post Here

Lost Roadie

i-FT5T9hM-X3.jpg

i-fcGHrTt-X3.jpg

i-QxR64MT.jpg

Last edited:
A Dmax? We don't see much of the midsized isuzus here in the states
I believe you find them in South & Central America but you're right I've never seen one in the US. I'll be fitting this with an XPCamper V2 and a custom flatbed as our European display vehicle.

It's a UK 2018 Isuzu D-Max Utility fitted with the Arctic Trucks AT35 package. I bought it as you see it here straight from the dealer with 5 year warranty and finance. 2" lift, Fox Racing Shocks, 17" wheels with 315/70R17 tyres, rear under run bar with receiver hitch, running boards, body re-profiling and fender flares. The bull bar, aluminium underbody protection, removable tow bar and Lazer ST4 lights were all dealer options. It's also due to get a TJM snorkel when they are back in stock.

The extended cab with 'suicide' rear doors is super practical and we can get two mountain bikes and our ski kit in the rear of the cab. Truck is averaging 25-27 US mpg, and in this specification has a legal payload of around 2450lbs but can be uprated to ~3200lbs. In order to meet Euro 6 legislation without using SCV/Ad Blue Isuzu built a 1.9 turbo diesel that develops similar power and torque to the old 2.5 litre. The six speed manual/auto helps it tow just as well as the old one. I can't imagine a 1.9 selling well in the US though!

Initially the campers are being built in our California factory and shipped to the UK where we build the flatbed to suit your truck for world travel. In Europe that could mean Toyota Land Cruiser 79 series single cab, Toyota Hilux single or Xtra cab, Ford Ranger single or king cab, G-wagen single cab, Nissan Navara or Mitsubishi L200 single or king cabs, or a Land Rover Defender single cab. See my profile for more info.

Here are some images from our Swiss/French trip this summer.

IMG_0478-min.jpgIMG_1977-min.JPGView attachment 488080Champery - Switzerland-min 30%.JPG

02rangeredge

Adventurer
I believe you find them in South & Central America but you're right I've never seen one in the US. I'll be fitting this with an XPCamper V2 and a custom flatbed as our European display vehicle.

It's a UK 2018 Isuzu D-Max Utility fitted with the Arctic Trucks AT35 package. I bought it as you see it here straight from the dealer with 5 year warranty and finance. 2" lift, Fox Racing Shocks, 17" wheels with 315/70R17 tyres, rear under run bar with receiver hitch, running boards, body re-profiling and fender flares. The bull bar, aluminium underbody protection, removable tow bar and Lazer ST4 lights were all dealer options. It's also due to get a TJM snorkel when they are back in stock.

The extended cab with 'suicide' rear doors is super practical and we can get two mountain bikes and our ski kit in the rear of the cab. Truck is averaging 25-27 US mpg, and in this specification has a legal payload of around 2450lbs but can be uprated to ~3200lbs. In order to meet Euro 6 legislation without using SCV/Ad Blue Isuzu built a 1.9 turbo diesel that develops similar power and torque to the old 2.5 litre. The six speed manual/auto helps it tow just as well as the old one. I can't imagine a 1.9 selling well in the US though!

Initially the campers are being built in our California factory and shipped to the UK where we build the flatbed to suit your truck for world travel. In Europe that could mean Toyota Land Cruiser 79 series single cab, Toyota Hilux single or Xtra cab, Ford Ranger single or king cab, G-wagen single cab, Nissan Navara or Mitsubishi L200 single or king cabs, or a Land Rover Defender single cab. See my profile for more info.

View attachment 488078View attachment 488079View attachment 488080View attachment 488081

With numbers like those, and the size I'd certainly look into one if we had it

Motohead1

View attachment 488078View attachment 488079View attachment 488080View attachment 488081

Thats awesome. Funny I put a 1.9 Tdi ALH in my 2001 us spec Dodge Dakota. I get 28.5 us MPG all day unloaded. I think it would sell great here in the US. My hack job swap is now where near those payload specs though it handles 2k lbs in the bed regularly.

Can you tell me what the engine letter designator is for that 1.9 in the dmax? Im currious what motor it is. Thanks.

Thats awesome. Funny I put a 1.9 Tdi ALH in my 2001 us spec Dodge Dakota. I get 28.5 us MPG all day unloaded. I think it would sell great here in the US. My hack job swap is now where near those payload specs though it handles 2k lbs in the bed regularly.

Can you tell me what the engine letter designator is for that 1.9 in the dmax? Im currious what motor it is. Thanks.

The engine code for the 1.9 is RZ4E-TC. In my truck it delivers 164ps and 360nm. Isuzu claim 34mpg (US) on the combined cycle. Until recently Europe had the 2.5 litre 4JK1-TC, Australia still has the 3.0 litre 4JJ1-TCX. They are all inline fours

Other potentially useful links:
Isuzu UK website
Arctic Trucks website (Isuzu)

Your Dodge sounds like an interesting build.

Regarding payload: Pickups in the UK can qualify as a 'light commercial vehicle' if they have a payload >1000kg and a GVW <3500kg. There are tax advantages for LCV status so all the manufacturers are competing against each other to deliver 3500kg tow weight and the largest payload in class. Isuzu is the recognised leader for this. The 2.5 had the best in class payload, and the new 1.9 weighs 50kg less: Just about all of which went into the payload.

On top of this the majority of pick ups can be uprated to 3500kg GVW from what ever they are as stock (usually about 3000-3200kg). The uprate requires airbags at the rear and some paperwork. My truck in basic form is listed as weighing 1909kg with a payload of 1141kg, giving a GVW of 3050kg. Uprate it to 3500kg GVW and in theory you've found an extra 450kg (991lbs) of payload.

The company that does the uprate has tested the brakes thoroughly a margin above 3500kg and all was fine, although as we all know a heavier truck works harder and wears quicker. HTH

Motohead1

The engine code for the 1.9 is RZ4E-TC. In my truck it delivers 164ps and 360nm. Isuzu claim 34mpg (US) on the combined cycle. Until recently Europe had the 2.5 litre 4JK1-TC, Australia still has the 3.0 litre 4JJ1-TCX. They are all inline fours

Other potentially useful links:
Isuzu UK website
Arctic Trucks website (Isuzu)

Your Dodge sounds like an interesting build.

Regarding payload: Pickups in the UK can qualify as a 'light commercial vehicle' if they have a payload >1000kg and a GVW <3500kg. There are tax advantages for LCV status so all the manufacturers are competing against each other to deliver 3500kg tow weight and the largest payload in class. Isuzu is the recognised leader for this. The 2.5 had the best in class payload, and the new 1.9 weighs 50kg less: Just about all of which went into the payload.

On top of this the majority of pick ups can be uprated to 3500kg GVW from what ever they are as stock (usually about 3000-3200kg). The uprate requires airbags at the rear and some paperwork. My truck in basic form is listed as weighing 1909kg with a payload of 1141kg, giving a GVW of 3050kg. Uprate it to 3500kg GVW and in theory you've found an extra 450kg (991lbs) of payload.

The company that does the uprate has tested the brakes thoroughly a margin above 3500kg and all was fine, although as we all know a heavier truck works harder and wears quicker. HTH

Good read thanks for the links. The US market has no lack for full size options and its interesting to see what the world gets in the mid frame trucks.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Good read thanks for the links. The US market has no lack for full size options and its interesting to see what the world gets in the mid frame trucks.

I still think if we had a mid size truck with that capability it would own the US market. it would be all people need and with that MPG it would sell like crazy.

chet6.7

Explorer
The Dmax on the youtube channel 4WD action is a capable off roader,a diesel with the payload listed above would sell.OZ gets a 3 liter,that may be a better option here.

02rangeredge

Adventurer

Any pictures of the Dakota? It sounds like a heck of a truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles