Photography Challenge - 9/11 portraits, ten years later

Michael Slade

Untitled
I am throwing down the gauntlet and officially inviting all of you 'photographers' out there to join in with my Documentary and Editorial photography class on their first assignment of the semester.

Here it is:

September 11 Portraits - ten years later

3 portraits
3 separate people
no groups

You need to find people that will let you photograph them in the location that they were at when they learned the World Trade Center had been attacked. I also want you to either take notes and write a paragraph about their experience, or even better, have THEM write a paragraph or two about their experience.

This needs to be something that you can photograph locally, i.e., don't fly to Denver to shoot your cousin Sally in her office building. Shoot people locally that you have access to.

No restriction on format or anything else. Natural light, artificial light, environmental portrait, simple close-up, whatever...use your imagination. use the appropriate portraiture technique or style to convey an *honest* portrait of your subjects.

Remember...this isn't about you, it's about THEM...unless you just happen to be making a self-portrait, in that case it really IS about you.

I want the blog posts and essays done and ready for class on Tuesday, September 13th.

I have sent Travis an e-mail about getting this work exhibited. You would be in charge of printing, and possibly framing your work.

By the way...I am going to do this as well. I already have two portraits lined up, one for tomorrow morning and one for next Tuesday. I haven't decided what camera I'm going to use quite yet, but I'll take at least two so I have options when I get there. I might even take a strobe and a softbox. We'll see...

Good luck!

DSC_0070.jpg

Liberty Enlightening the World and Lower Manhattan, October, 2000
- Michael Slade

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I really like the one with Zachary Muse and the birthday cake. Great shot, and interesting story. Not only to share your birthday with that day, as many people do but to have spent your life knowing nothing but war and never being able to have celebrated that day without associating with the attacks...sad.

photoman

Explorer
I was really wanting to work on this project but just didn't have enough time to make it happen.

I can sympathize with Zachary Muse. My son was born on 9/10 and his cousin on 9/11. They were both celebrating their 2nd birthdays the year of the attack.

I was still enlisted in the Army Reserves at the time and my ex-father in-law was a pilot flying that day. I remember that day very vividly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior