Photo organization on the iPad

robgendreau

Explorer
I use my iPad to store photos when I'm traveling; I import them from an SD card using the card reader dongle.

I'm looking for an app that would allow me to do some organization and culling that provides more functionality than the build-in Photos app. When I get home I import the photos into Aperture or Lightroom, and have various editing programs, so I'm covered on that end. I'd like a way to organize them that could migrate straight to either Aperture or Lightroom so I don't have to do it when I import. And I'd like to do some cropping, and editing of meta data (GPS, keywords, titles, etc) while I'm out there and stuff is fresh in my mind.

I don't find the "Event" structure that Apple seems to favor very handy. I also index photos, meaning they are put into a folder/directory structure and not stored in Aperture Libraries. A continuing frustration (that I guess will persist with iOS 7) is an inability on the iPad (or iPhone) to structure a file library that I could simply copy to my computer on my return.

I'd started using Photo Shack Pro, which allows you to organize photos on the iPad and do some editing, etc. But I haven't been able to figure out a way to carry that structure over automatically when I import. It's nice in that it doesn't replicate photos like some other portfolio and organizing apps, and hence saves space. They also have a Photo Shack HD app, but I don't know what the difference is vs. the Pro version.

I don't use iPhoto much, but is that useful for this? I've also seen rumors of a Lightroom iPad app. I almost got Photosmith, but I've read the syncing is problematic.

Any ideas for apps and/or workflows? besides get a laptop? :sombrero:

DesertBoater

Adventurer
If you use Lightroom on your computer at home, check out photosmith for your iPad. I recently used it for a trip to china and was able to upload, sort, tag, label and rate all of my photos from the trip. It has a couple of quirks for sure, but the developer is good about fixing things and streamlining the workflow. It's currently the only app that I've been able to find that is designed for organization and such and not for photo manipulation. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
West

robgendreau

Explorer
I'll probably give it another look. I'm still surprised that there aren't better organizers out there. I note Flickr just bought Ghostbird, who made KitCam and Photoforge. Both nice, but more on the editing end. Photosmith and Photo Shack are about it; I'm till trying to figure out the differences between their HD and Pro versions. And still no sign of the LR app. Thanks for offering a positive view of Photosmith.

Appsicum

I use my iPad to store photos when I'm traveling; I import them from an SD card using the card reader dongle.

I'm looking for an app that would allow me to do some organization and culling that provides more functionality than the build-in Photos app. When I get home I import the photos into Aperture or Lightroom, and have various editing programs, so I'm covered on that end. I'd like a way to organize them that could migrate straight to either Aperture or Lightroom so I don't have to do it when I import. And I'd like to do some cropping, and editing of meta data (GPS, keywords, titles, etc) while I'm out there and stuff is fresh in my mind.

I don't find the "Event" structure that Apple seems to favor very handy. I also index photos, meaning they are put into a folder/directory structure and not stored in Aperture Libraries. A continuing frustration (that I guess will persist with iOS 7) is an inability on the iPad (or iPhone) to structure a file library that I could simply copy to my computer on my return.

I'd started using Photo Shack Pro, which allows you to organize photos on the iPad and do some editing, etc. But I haven't been able to figure out a way to carry that structure over automatically when I import. It's nice in that it doesn't replicate photos like some other portfolio and organizing apps, and hence saves space. They also have a Photo Shack HD app, but I don't know what the difference is vs. the Pro version.

I don't use iPhoto much, but is that useful for this? I've also seen rumors of a Lightroom iPad app. I almost got Photosmith, but I've read the syncing is problematic.

Any ideas for apps and/or workflows? besides get a laptop? :sombrero:

HI robgendreau,

Nice app which you are using.. But friend for photo organization, you can't go wrong with Photo Album- Photobook for iPad. It is full-fledged photo organization tool. It automatically creates albums, based on GPS Location data, Ratings, Tags, EXIF Data, and Date etc. I highly recommend this app to anyone trying to get their photos organized.

jemmahazie

Can it had a header and footer this look cool and usefull but the templates looks like ****!!!! it looks like a word document, is there a way to make it more atractive to the eye???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier