PHASE I of Hard Cover for RTT

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Tonight I started the prototype of a hard cover for a RTT

In this case, A Smittybilt

Removed the velcro skirt that the soft cover attaches to

Fabricated the extension "shelf" that the hard cover will sit on

These pictures are of the RTT upside down. You are looking at the bottom of the RTT

IMG_20191230_201525535.jpgIMG_20191230_201534532.jpgIMG_20191230_201543829.jpgIMG_20191230_201557443.jpgIMG_20191230_201607317.jpgIMG_20191230_201617879.jpg

As you can see, I didn't want to disturb any of the existing fasteners. Therefore I drilled holes in the 2.5" flat aluminum stock to go around them.
Tomorrow I'll start fabricating the sides out of PVC lumber. The top will be RFP (Reinforced Fiberglass Panel)

Stay Tuned!

Rbertalotto

Explorer
But now that the prototype is done, and I set on my "Ponder Stool" in the garage and ponder the next step, I realize that the upper part of the cover could simply be attached to the bottom of the folding part of the RTT. More 2.5" flat aluminum around the perimeter and just like the bottom section, the sides attached to this aluminum.

The ladder would need to be removable or exposed to the weather as it would now sit outside of the cover.

But this new idea would solve the issue of how to store the cover. And more importantly lower the whole front section of the tent by nearly 4".....making it even more aerodynamic.

And it would allow the fron section facing the wind to be curved.....

Stay tuned for "RTT Prototype....The Sequel"

ITTOG

Interesting concept. You probably need to rethink what you do with the top. It will be pretty light and if you get any wind whether it's on the top of your truck or the top of the tent (when deployed obviously) you are going to have issues.

Also you won't want a piano hinge as they will leak water. The hinge you want is called a hurricane hinge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Rbertalotto

Explorer
This phase one has been shelved. Too complicated and I don't like the tent sitting is some type of tub. Water and snow will accumulate and cause water to seep into the living area.

I developed Version II but I just tore it all apart for lots of reasons. I posted another thread on this second concept.

I just finished Version III and it is a go. Very simple as it is just a one piece cover supported by hydraulic or pneumatic struts. Extremely light weight and easy to seal out the elements. I'll be installing hinges and do a video tomorrow.

ITTOG

I can't find the other thread. Can you past a link.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Phase II here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles