Pett Potty Review

FlyingWen

Explorer

The Pett Potty System
The Basics:
The Pett Potty, which is the size of a standard toilet, is portable and can be used anywhere. There is no assembly required and it sets up in seconds by popping out the 3 locking legs. Made from molded plastic, this portable toilet was tested to withstand the front end of a truck on 2 toilets. Each toilet has a removable mesh liner that supports the weight of the collection bags (Wag Bags).

Along with being extremely convenient, it is also eco-friendly. The Pett Potty uses Wag Bags that will degrade just as the waste inside does and they are landfill approved. Contained inside these zip close Wag Bags is the patented Poo Powder. This powder is comprised of a patented mix of a non-toxic polymer based absorbent, along with an organic decay catalyst & odor neutralizer that break down in landfill conditions after 6-8 months. The powder transforms liquid waste into solid which allows for spill proof disposal. Each Wag Bag kit also includes toilet paper and a sanitary wipe. The bags are able to handle up to 32 ounces of liquid and solid waste which allows for numerous uses.
For a little privacy, there is the Pup Tent privacy shelter. Weighing only 6.8 pounds, the tent is made from flame retardant Taffeta and it sets up in seconds. Poles and connectors are attached to the tent which allows the user to pull the lanyard at the top of the tent and lock the legs into place. The floorless Pup tent stands 6’6” and has 3 screened windows for ventilation and a convenient storage pocket.
Pictured below is the travel system containing the Pett toilet, wag bags, and Pup Tent. Also a picture of the tent and toilet set up (Both sold separately)

Testing:
We tested the Pett Potty System in the Sonoran Desert National Park while camping with 2 extremely pregnant women in tow. As you can understand with one pregnant woman let alone 2, this toilet got a lot of use! It was very sturdy and could withstand 250+lbs. The set up was a synch as it only requires you to pop out the 3 legs and lock them in place. It was comfortable and a nice change from having to dig your own hole.
The Wag Bags were big and easy to install in the toilet. The powder did everything it is supposed to do and there was no odor...none! The only negative aspect that I can see is that for such a large bag, it could have contained more powder allowing for additional uses. Also the zip close carrier bag is rather small in comparison to the collection bag, so if you were to have too much "stuff" in the collection bag, then insertion into the carrier could be a problem.
The Pup tent was extremely light weight and easy to set up. One person could easily handle this on their own. The storage pocket came in handy for storing extra toilet paper as the sheet that is contained in the kit is hardly enough.
We tested this tent on a day when the winds were 25+ mph. Standing alone, this tent was so flimsy that it could have become a kite. We used the ropes and stakes that were contained with the tent to anchor it down. Using the tie downs were confusing and I am not entirely sure we used them correctly, but they did a good job holding the tent in place.

IMG_1783.jpg

** Special Thank to our model, "Articulate"***

All and all the toilet is GREAT! It is light and doesn’t take up much cargo room. The Wag Bags are clean and easy to use and give you another use for that ammo can on the back of your rig!

Weight: 7lbs
Open: 14" H x 14" W x18"L.
Closed: 5"H x 14"W x 18"L

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Great write up!

We have the PETT enclosure and love it. We use it for both showering and a bathroom area. On the toilet itself... we chose to spend our money elsewhere and bought a cheaper toilet.. a fancy bucket :)

luggable_loo.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
SOCALFJ said:
We have the PETT enclosure and love it. We use it for both showering and a bathroom area. On the toilet itself... we chose to spend our money elsewhere and bought a cheaper toilet.. a fancy bucket :)
We have the Luggable Loo, too. It's $14 with the toilet seat (something like $9 if you have a 5 gallon bucket already) and uses WAG bags just like the PETT unit. We haven't had the coin to drop on a privy. Anyway, we'd rather look at the beauty that surrounds us than the inside of a nylon wall. We run the solar shower out in all God's glory for all to see, too. :)

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
FlyingWen said:
Did everyone like our model? I wonder if that is the Overland Journal he is reading...?

I wish I could see the pictures at work (damn firewall)...wait, on second thought: good firewall :)

atavuss

Adventurer
what size ammo can do you use to store the used wag bags in until you can dispose of them in the trash?

FlyingWen

Explorer
atavuss said:
what size ammo can do you use to store the used wag bags in until you can dispose of them in the trash?

Well... it depends on how much you have eaten that weekend. :chowtime: kidding.

Seriously, we use a 20 or 30MM can, but any size would do. Depending on your trip, you won't need a HUGE can.

taugust

Adventurer
For those looking to save on an enclosure, Walmart had a toilet/shower enclosure for about $35. It had a floor with mesh sides to let shower water drain. Steel tube poles are not the lightest, but it's not bad. Free standing with anchors. Used it to shower on the Rubicon, and poo in Utah with the PETT. Works great.

FlyingWen

Explorer
Good find! I wasn't all that impressed with the "Pup Tent" I thought it was flimsy. We used a Paha Que privacy tent for showering and LOVED it!

HDM

Observer
We used to use a Luggable Loo. It definately worked well and is all you really "need." That said, I found the size and shape awkward when packing so we upgraded to the Pett. Must say, the Pett is much easier to pack (both in the truck and garage) and the accessory carry bag keeps everything you need in one place. The Pett toilet is one of two or three luxuries that has turned my city-girl wife into a happy primitive camper...well worth the price.

ExpoMike

We have been very happy with our PETT and Pup tent. You are correct about the Pup being "light" but the added bonus is that it is light and small to pack.

We have found using an old cat litter plastic tub with lid works great for storing the used Wag bags until disposal. It's great because it can double for so many other things like bringing water back to camp to put out a fire (would not want drinking water in it unless an emerency), as a makeshift "shovel" to move dirt, mud or rocks. With the lid on it can double as a seat or small table. It's mutli use and you can get them free from any friends that have cats. :luxhello:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior