Pete's Tacoma Build

soonenough

Explorer
Any luck finding those T-nuts at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace? Or is that a custom order? I know other people mentioned in that thread that they used variations of hardware. This was that other thread here I guess I can just take morning and visit all the stores!
If you're not able to find the strut channel nuts, a 3/8" SAE washer will fit perfectly inside the tracks on the Tacoma. To mount a toolbox I used to have, I used 3/8" grade 8 bolts and washers with the heads of the bolts inside the track and the threads sticking out, then you can use nuts on the outside of the track to tighten down pretty much anything. You just remove the little end cap on the track, insert the bolt head w/ washer into the track, slide it down to where you want it, and replace the little end cap. Not as clean as the strut channel nuts, but it'll work as a backup plan. I'm pretty sure you should be able to find them though, my local Lowe's has them in stock. They'll probably be on the electrical aisle with all of the strut channel stuff.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
As much as I want another Silver Tacoma if I trade, you make me want to try white!

Love the look and the functionality a lot.

Your truck is a MT correct?
V6 or I4?

pnorvell

Adventurer
As much as I want another Silver Tacoma if I trade, you make me want to try white!

Love the look and the functionality a lot.

Your truck is a MT correct?
V6 or I4?

MT V6 and just rolled over 120k and I can't recommend these trucks enough. Hopefully the release of the 2016 will drive the prices down a little but I doubt it!

Lowinhz

Check with fastnel as they have them and can be ordered. They are t slot nuts and about 12 bucks each but so worth it.

nswanny

Observer
Wow really great build!

Maybe I missed it buy any reason why you now have a tan Soft Topper? Did the first one not hold up?

onemanarmy

Explorer
Great build. As has been said before, love the wheels.

It seems that a new release of Tacomas has no effect on the pricing of older ones. They hold steady at $crazy

pnorvell

Adventurer
Wow really great build!

Maybe I missed it buy any reason why you now have a tan Soft Topper? Did the first one not hold up?

Delayed response but it was simply due to hail damage. Got the Softopper for an even swap so didn't want to pass it up.

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
pnorvell,
-
I just shot you a PM regarding your truck and a few questions I have. Specifically, your tire choice and experience over time. I have a very similar Taco, minus a few details here and there. Thanks,

goodcat8

Observer
Apologies if I missed it. Did you cover what the lift consisted of? I see on page one "soon to be released" mentioned.
Super cool truck!

pnorvell

Adventurer
Apologies if I missed it. Did you cover what the lift consisted of? I see on page one "soon to be released" mentioned.
Super cool truck!

It's an Ironman 2" lift. It's handled everything I've thrown at it, I'll be I don't rock crawl, with flying colors. However, the paint/powdercoat on all the components has held up horrendously... You put a leaf pack off an FJ40 next to mine and you'd be hard pressed to know which one was which. Cosmetic, yes, but will cause me to replace it sometime in the future.

Forgot how much I loved this build until I went back through it...

Thank you sir!

Methinks I passed by you Friday morning going southbound on Wadsworth. I turned right on Colfax. Did I spot you?

I'm sure you did, though it was my probably my wife driving, hah! This was our only car up until Late July of this year. Now it just chills at home!

Any idea on the back spacing for the steelies??

No clue, sorry man!

pnorvell

Adventurer
Hi All,

Figured I'd do a much-belated update to this thread for those interested. No real major changes to the truck have been made but I have added a few things since my last posting.

But really, who cares, right? Let's just get some updated pictures in here! hah!

IMG_6867 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6875 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_5808 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

This is what "let's just go a little further" looks like when you're positive you have all your recovery gear with you even though you actually took it all out of the truck to make room for other things, because it's your wife's birthday weekend and you definitely won't go wheeling... And get stuck... and spend hours digging yourself out because you realize your winch hook is rusted shut... Good times. If you're saying to yourself, "He'll never do that again", you're right, dad, I won't. And as always, photo doesn't do it justice. I was resting on the frame.

IMG_6095 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

Beginning of Black Bear from last Summer

IMG_6044 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6086 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6090 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

Descending down into Telluride.

IMG_6089 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6091 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6028 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6030 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

If I recall this was Jenny Creek trail I ran with a few buds for a bachelor party weekend. If you do a bro-bach and it doesn't include wheeling, you're doing it wrong.

IMG_6104 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6106 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_6105 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

Getting some exploring in over at Bordenville Gulches, one of my favorite areas to explore.

IMG_0252 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_0254 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_0256 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

IMG_0250 by Peter Norvell, on Flickr

These last few are of my favorite secret campin'/wheelin' spot outside Buena Vista, CO. If you know the hiking trail for Lake Anne, or the approach trail for Huron (14er), then you've been there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz