Permanently mount hard shell RTT in the Southwestern US, issues with UV?

BagiMT

Naturalist
I just got a hard sheel roof top tent (ABS shell) and was wondering how many of you mount them permanently on your vehicle with the vehicle parked outside (don't have a garage). The sun in the Southwestern US (SoCal and Arizona) is intense so I wonder if that would damage the shell over time. Or do people apply any UV protection to the shell? But maybe I am overthinking this as many parts of cars are also plastic and they hold up well for over 20 years.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
I have a CVT Mt. Hood RTT, which is aluminum, but I also permanently mounted it on my SnugTop shell. I did not want the sun beating down on my RTT when it is parked in the driveway in NorCal. I purchased a custom made cover from this company: https://www.coversandall.com/

I used the dimensions of the shell and chose the strongest material, the CoverTuff, used the standard drawstring corners, but had grommets every 12 inches to attach bungies during windy weather.20211002_143044.jpg20211002_155950.jpg20211002_161015.jpg20211002_161023.jpg20211002_143044.jpg20211002_155950.jpg20211002_161015.jpg20211002_161023.jpg

BagiMT

Naturalist
Thanks, might need to consider plastidip. The tarp would be fine if the vehicle was mostly parked, but it is still a daily driver so the tarp might not be too great for that.

plasti-dip wont work, a wrap may hold up but would be pricey and a pain to replace every 5 years.....imo, what TheDesertRat did is a GREAT idea as it completely covered and out of the sun, plus stays clean, GREAT IDEA

rruff

Explorer
I just got a hard shell roof top tent (ABS shell) and was wondering how many of you mount them permanently on your vehicle with the vehicle parked outside (don't have a garage).

Paint the top white... no worries.

If you are worried about the ABS overheating, I don't think the cover will help a lot... unless it's white.

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Thanks, might need to consider plastidip. The tarp would be fine if the vehicle was mostly parked, but it is still a daily driver so the tarp might not be too great for that.

I added bungie cords front to back and side to side and driving with it locally isn't a problem. But I typically take the cover off on long trips just to keep the wear down on the cover.

dstefan

I live in Phoenix. Not on a RTT, but for lots of other plastic or vinyl, I’ve had good luck with 303 applied several times a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles