Permanent Rechargeable Overhead Ceiling Lights in a Hardwall Camper. Has Their Time Arrived?

NOPEC

I am considering taking a run at one last build before they drag me off... Every time I do one, it seems that the systems, componentry and general attitudes (as well as our own personal needs and ideas) have changed so much, that I basically have to restart the entire process of evaluation of what the final product will look like. Very much a fun part of the entire project.

Part of the plan will be to do away with virtually all of the in-ceiling, overhead wiring (there will still have to be a certain amount of wires sneaking along the edges, under corner trim, etc.). For the last few years, I have been using a fairly high end USB rechargeable LED headlamp on paddling trips and I am totally sold on the product. So, my question is, does any one here have real world experience with USB (or other) rechargeable LED lights that are designed to be attached to a interior ceiling with magnets/VHB tape, etc,? I am not interested in strings of lights or "camp" lights, for example, such as those offered by Goal Zero. However, there appears to be a lot of offerings on Amazon for the type of product I am looking for, designed to be attached to ceilings, especially inside of cupboards/closets but I have my doubts about the quality of some of this stuff.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially the good and bad of products currently on the market!

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I do wonder about the infrastructure of attachment vs. frequency of charging.

We use some USB rechargeable puck lamps, but they hang with a hook or via a small magnet. Similarly, I have a little light for the underbed cargo area in my FWC that attaches with a magnet, but can be pulled off to charge via USB. None of these connections is secure enough that I would fee great about using them as ceiling lamps in the camper: I sometimes find the underbed light down in the cargo area after a trail, and the puck lamps get stored in a drawer when not used. I have also had to replace the plastic hook on one of the puck lamps after it was broken when I had it clipped to the awning in too much wind.

So I guess the trick is to find a setup where the ceiling connection is adequate to not fly off under tossing, but detachable (either via better/stronger magnets or some kind of physical twist/lock onto a baseplate or something) for charging, otherwise you'll end up running USB cables to your ceiling!

Pucks:

Not the exact unit in our cargo area, but similar:

EDIT:
The control interface for these also leaves something to be desired. The puck lamps are the standard single switch interface where you cycle through High/Medium/Low/Flash Fast/Flash Slow/Off. The under-cabinet style light is theoretically motion-activated, but in a camper that constantly gets triggered, so really your only choice is to use the tiny slide switch on the side, which is hard to actuate without knocking the light off the weak magnet mount.

EDIT 2:
Also, the control button for the pucks is on the "mounting" surface, so if you have it stuck on with a magnet, you'd have to pull it off to change the setting...

Last edited:

NOPEC

I have kicked the piggy bank pretty hard for this project so I have a decent budget. I would like to move beyond both the sterling quality of the usual RV stuff:cautious: and the typical plethora of Amazon offerings, all mostly identical but with different branding.

I am interested in a really good quality product. As these lights will be permanently mounted, the type of convertible attachment system they come with isn't that important. If I don't trust the product's staying power, it will be resolved with sikaflex. Charging will be by portable power bricks.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

driveby

FWIW I have a few security cameras that are rechargeable and mounted around the house. At first this was awesome. Charge every month or so. Then it became a chore to charge before they drop. I like the idea of the freedom of placement you'd get with no wires. And that alone might be worth the charge "hassle". Maybe a mix of wired for high use and chargeable for task or odd placement?

NOPEC

FWIW I have a few security cameras that are rechargeable and mounted around the house. At first this was awesome. Charge every month or so. Then it became a chore to charge before they drop. I like the idea of the freedom of placement you'd get with no wires. And that alone might be worth the charge "hassle". Maybe a mix of wired for high use and chargeable for task or odd placement?

Good points all, driveby.

As we are "Getting up there" age wise, we don't sit around for hours in the camper after the sun goes down..... As long as these elusive lights are good quality and have a decent duration of light per charge, I am prepared to go all in with just the stand alone units.

Our current kayak touring set up is an Anker and an IBM brick, paired with a Nomad Goal Zero panel. Both are excellent quality and work perfectly to recharge (and keep up with) our headlamps, InReach and phone. So there is good stuff out there, I just need to find something that will work as an overhead cabin light (either designed as such or adaptable) with a flat backside to it, either to attach temporarily or glue permanently.

Should be easy!

NOPEC

It is a 8 ft slide in camper, so pretty small. There seems to be lots of smaller lights around that will work for a reading light in the cab over sleeping area, such as the one below, 30 buck $CDN on Amazon. Searching, I am finding quite a few possibilities that will work for the cabin area and I will do a more in-depth post in a little while. Quality over cost still remains my priority.....

51ESDoAKjbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior