Perfect platform round 3; '96 E350 Quigley

Rune

Hey all,

Still looking for the perfect platform for my camper van build here on Maui. I have learned so far that shipping anything over height from the mainland is almost impossible. So I started looking locally and found a '96 Ford E350 fiberglass high-top Quigley 4x4 that's been living as a executive shuttle over on Kauai.

Started life as a shuttle running passengers between Denver airport and Aspen. 170k miles on the original Windsor 351 gas engine. Some rust on rain gutters, AC needs recharge and possibly leak fix, new tires needed. Other than that in good condition according to owner.

So going to Kauai tomorrow to check it out. If it looks good I'll put it on a barge back to Maui.

Looking for advice on specific things I should look at/test when I'm inspecting the van? General thoughts on the vehicle as a starting platform for a camper build? I'd like to fit 33" tires; what kind of lift do I need and what additionally to make them fit? What shocks? Buyer asking $6,800; good price?

Mahalo,
Sean

cjken

Explorer
You don’t need to lift it to run 33’s. Maybe just a bit of bumper trimming.
I would suggest not lifting it.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Check body/frame for rust. Check body mounts all the way around, front frame rails in front of the tires. Check front link arms for cracking around the welds. Get the trans hot and make sure it shifts well in to and out of all gears. Check 4wd shifter and locking hubs. Check rear AC lines for rust, they rust out and are a bear to change.

brp

Observer
I just fit 33.4” tires (295/75/16 BFG KO2) on an 04 Quigley. I had to trim a little of the fender behind the front tires. Very simple if you’re good with a 4” grinder. Stock wheels.

I did install the Agile RIP kit, but I checked my clearances with the bump stops bottomed out, so the RIP is not gaining clearance for me in that sense.

I don’t know if the 96 and 04 are the same in terms of axles, suspension, etc., do a little research.

Rune

I just fit 33.4” tires (295/75/16 BFG KO2) on an 04 Quigley. I had to trim a little of the fender behind the front tires. Very simple if you’re good with a 4” grinder. Stock wheels.

I did install the Agile RIP kit, but I checked my clearances with the bump stops bottomed out, so the RIP is not gaining clearance for me in that sense.

I don’t know if the 96 and 04 are the same in terms of axles, suspension, etc., do a little research.

It looks like I can get a Agile RIP kit for the 96, interesting.

How do you like yours on road and off road? Was it a big improvement from the stock Quigley? What did it cost?

Going to contact them for a quote once I can get photos they need.

brp

Observer
I have not taken it off road yet. On road is improved for sure, not totally night and day. The consensus seems to be off road is where the bigger improvement is.

My van rode pretty well on the stock suspension, I didn’t have the jarring bottoming out that many complain of...could be the 5.4 is lighter, not sure.

My RIP was about $1,100, but I didn’t get the rear helper springs that are normally included and put the price around $1,500.
My springs are larger than normal and so Agile’s product was not compatible. The van sits level.

Rune

IMG_20180503_135716~2.jpgDoes this suspension setup look funky to anyone? I thought the Quigley conversion on a '96 E350 would have coil springs not leafs. ?

cjken

Explorer
Yes. Odd. Quigley definitely did coils on 96 e350’s

Not sure what you got there

Quigley will be able to look up any conversions that they have done by VIN number.

Rune

Fundamental question occurred to me today; if I'm settled on the Ford E series van as a platform is it better to look for a Quigley or other 4x4 conversion and pay the premium, or is it better to find the 2wd van with the features I want and do the UJOR conversion? Because if I open my search to 2wd vans locally here in HI I'll have more options......
Thoughts?

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Since you're working on a budget, I would suggest getting the best 2wd van you can find/afford and start building it in phases. Example:

1 - Buy van
2 - Build functionnal interior
3 - Lift van
4 - Improve interior (after learning from mistakes and/or usage)
5 - Convert to 4x4

Personnaly, I like the simplicity of the UJOR leaf spring conversion... but who am I to say as I purchased a chevy.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Check body/frame for rust. Check body mounts all the way around, front frame rails in front of the tires. Check front link arms for cracking around the welds. Get the trans hot and make sure it shifts well in to and out of all gears. Check 4wd shifter and locking hubs. Check rear AC lines for rust, they rust out and are a bear to change.

Regarding the rear A/C lines... ‘96 used steel lines and mine were rusted through below the floor. Also the ends of the rubber lines that connected to them had also rusted through. In my case, I replaced the steel lines with aluminum ones from a 2001 E350. I then took it to a shop that serviced A/C and they replaced the missing ends on the rubber lines that connected to them. As jobs on an Econoline van go, it wasn’t terrible... but some choice words may have been said. It was a time consuming undertaking and would’ve cost a small fortune to have a shop replace the lines. It was bad enough to have the rubber lines repaired, the system pressure checked, and recharged.

A/C alone with the new compressor was about $1500 including a new pump. Also found out that the cultuch fan wasn’t up to the task. So it ended up being about $2100 once the hoses, water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch were replaced.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d buy a 2wd and not worry about a 4wd conversion. It’s not like you see a lot of snow driving. If you find you want more and you have a reliable rig, Chris can set you up with everything you need.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior