Perfect off-highway tire = LTX? What?

ricoisme26

Interested in the different model LTXs and similar Michelin tires. I bought my truck with over sized LTXs but i'm not sure what submodel, i'll check tonight, put OEM sized tires on due to those tires being close to bald. New tires are the Michelin Primacy XC varitey, had them this past winter and was pleased with them, bought them as new take offs from a 2018+ f-150 with the wheels, compared to the Goodyear SRAs i had on a similar truck, these tires were much better in the snow, no issues this winter here in PA. Interested to see if the Primacy's are any good off the pavement

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Sorry to keep piling on but even these sidewalls are holding against fairly significant rock strikes. Hold up fine even on Radical Hill.

3F4886AD-1916-4F65-836B-CFC5154AA9B7.jpeg

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Michelins are the worst tire I've run so far but to be fair that was prior to doing a lot of work on the front end. I might be willing to give them a shot if I weren't so happy with my Coopers.

Blommy

Great post...confirms what I experienced at dicey construction sites littered with surface mud and snow/ice In MN with a loaded down 2X truck. The tires simply amazed me. And this was after experiencing them on a 4X Burb which got my attention trekking across drifted lakes for ice fishing, but I had thought the 4X was the secret sauce... I now know different.
True, ya can’t run em like a fool... air down... feel them bite. Sorta like the ole wood shop teacher catching you leaning into that power sander, him grabbing it and letting it float with two fingers, explaining how ya gotta feel the paper cut the wood. I digress... It’s just that I’ve seen so many people stuck in snow, just given’er more gas when she’s been spinning long ago with tires now nice’n hot and making ice... then jumping out shouting explicit names at said tires.
Now I recently bought a 3rd gen Taco TRD OR long bed and want to outfit it for overlanding in Northern MN. Don’t plan on diving into the gumbo and not attempting any trail tougher than a 7 outa 10, where 10 is the toughest. Payload strictly to be no more than 1,000 pounds, including passengers. Have winch will travel.
Even at the tender age of 59 the big fat MT Nittos belt out a siren call for any testosterone possibly left in me. However, my experiences and brain tell me to get the LTX MS in the tallest, slimmest and lightest C rated size that will fit my taco, without lifting it.
Am I thinking correctly?
Bill

Pskhaat

the big fat MT Nittos belt out a siren call for any testosterone possibly left

I'm a BFG or Firestone guy and I do have a set of MTs, but they sit 90% unused in the garage.

get the LTX MS in the tallest, slimmest and lightest C rated size that will fit my taco, without lifting it.
Am I thinking correctly?
Bill

I am a big fan of a lift. Primarily simply for the larger travel springs and load capacity. The LTX are not made in many tall sizes. But if I had a Taco I'd run 235/85 LTX without hesitation despite their E rating.

Blommy

I'm a BFG or Firestone guy and I do have a set of MTs, but they sit 90% unused in the garage.

I am a big fan of a lift. Primarily simply for the larger travel springs and load capacity. The LTX are not made in many tall sizes. But if I had a Taco I'd run 235/85 LTX without hesitation despite their E rating.
Thanks for the advice pskhaat!... I lean towards pizza cutters. I will investigate lifts with longer spring travels...and sigh..already I’m bumping my planned payload up to 1200 lbs... I’ll start another post after researching lifts with longer travel and real world payload.

billiebob

Great post...confirms what I experienced at dicey construction sites littered with surface mud and snow/ice In MN with a loaded down 2X truck. The tires simply amazed me. And this was after experiencing them on a 4X Burb which got my attention trekking across drifted lakes for ice fishing, but I had thought the 4X was the secret sauce... I now know different.
True, ya can’t run em like a fool... air down... feel them bite. Sorta like the ole wood shop teacher catching you leaning into that power sander, him grabbing it and letting it float with two fingers, explaining how ya gotta feel the paper cut the wood. I digress... It’s just that I’ve seen so many people stuck in snow, just given’er more gas when she’s been spinning long ago with tires now nice’n hot and making ice... then jumping out shouting explicit names at said tires.
Now I recently bought a 3rd gen Taco TRD OR long bed and want to outfit it for overlanding in Northern MN. Don’t plan on diving into the gumbo and not attempting any trail tougher than a 7 outa 10, where 10 is the toughest. Payload strictly to be no more than 1,000 pounds, including passengers. Have winch will travel.
Even at the tender age of 59 the big fat MT Nittos belt out a siren call for any testosterone possibly left in me. However, my experiences and brain tell me to get the LTX MS in the tallest, slimmest and lightest C rated size that will fit my taco, without lifting it.
Am I thinking correctly?
Bill
On the money, many advantages to pizza cutters. These are the tallest, skinniest I have found. Yokohama 7.50R16s. 31" tall.

DSC_0016.jpg

Pskhaat

Any updates on the LTX's? How are they handling the off roading? Any sidewall issues?

Touring has been limited in 2020. Because...well, you know :sick:

But they carried us on most mountain tracks with relative ease this summer. Only place where I really did wish I had my KM3s was several trips up/down Radical Hill ( https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/radical-hill-ohv-trail ), which aired down to 12psi they did actually just fine, could have used some side lugs, but these kinds of roads are exception cases. As to sidewalls, I have a bent lip on my steel wheel from sliding the sidewall down a sharp rock ledge; the steel bent, yet only a coloration scar on the tire.

Admittedly I did opt for running my KM3s on our Circumtour Canyonlands expedition in October. Else the LTXen are back on for the winter. ?

fnjeep314

Observer
Touring has been limited in 2020. Because...well, you know :sick:

But they carried us on most mountain tracks with relative ease this summer. Only place where I really did wish I had my KM3s was several trips up/down Radical Hill ( https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/radical-hill-ohv-trail ), which aired down to 12psi they did actually just fine, could have used some side lugs, but these kinds of roads are exception cases. As to sidewalls, I have a bent lip on my steel wheel from sliding the sidewall down a sharp rock ledge; the steel bent, yet only a coloration scar on the tire.

Admittedly I did opt for running my KM3s on our Circumtour Canyonlands expedition in October. Else the LTXen are back on for the winter. ?
Yeah I hear ya. Im trying to use it as an excuse to get outdoors and away from people as much as possible and not be stuck in the house because I get stir crazy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles