Perfect off-highway tire = LTX? What?

Grassland

Finally, the new BC signs.

View attachment 555929
a tire with the M+S and a tire with the 3PMS marking are not the same. Interesting they suggest they are. I mean, obviously an actual summer only tire won't have the M+S marking, but there are a lot of all seasons with M+S I wouldn't want to drive on in the winter.
Frankly, my Ko2 with 3PMS aren't that good on hard pack snow or ice, and on the second winter half worn, my Toyo H09 all weathers that also have the 3PMS rating aren't tons better.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
and on the second winter half worn, my Toyo H09 all weathers that also have the 3PMS rating aren't tons better.

Stupid anecdote but this made me remember something: I had this neighbor years ago who would buy the cheapest new winter tires (always studded) he could find every October, then sell them in the classifieds every May as "just one season" used. I used to think he was crazy for spending all that $, but I have no idea what is actual ROI was...

85_Ranger4x4

Gary, that is a good point and ammunition for buying M/T's that wear fast. :LOL: Seriously, though, I think the original issue was running at highway speeds in hot weather with old tires that raised the date code concerns. But, in reality, you have a valid point for off road travel, also.

Tires last a long time at slow speeds.

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
I ran a set of LTXs on my 01 Ram 2500 CTD, they did surprising well on many different surfaces. My commute was about 85 miles of gravel road which did shorten their life somewhat. So I thought I would try some Toyo AT II s they seem to do well on the Tacoma, a bit of excessive wear till I got the pressures right (I think). Might try geolanders if I can get them in a235/85 16, with the commute I really do need a Load range E tire, that road just eats tires, so far with E s, I get fewer flats.
The photo is of my Tacoma a few years ago going out to work on the first da6 with 2 flats on load range Cs, shortly before I upsized to the Toyo AT II.
2E50236A-1E71-4F48-94AE-D863DB21EED0.jpeg
Current look with the stock rims and a 235/85 R16 Toyos. I like pizza cutters.C2D1A577-ED22-46A3-AFF5-49A5A3C97064.jpeg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
MT tires are not "dedicated mud tires", they are a compromise between all-terrain and actual dedicated mud tires (like Super Swampers), which is why they still struggle in serious mud.

85_Ranger4x4

Different soils interact with different tread patterns differently too.

I have MT's on mine and have yet to find them particularly impressive for anything other than longevity. Mine (Firestone Destination MT's) seem to cake up about the same as any other pickup tire.

I am going with an aggressive AT for the next go around. Better in snow, better on the highway, won't fling friggin' boulders... might help mpg a tad too?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I prefer slightly compromised mud tires. For example would rather have Cooper stt's rather than Pitbull Rockers.

For the real sticky stuff, claws or chains are required,

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I am going with an aggressive AT for the next go around. Better in snow, better on the highway, won't fling friggin' boulders... might help mpg a tad too?
Yeah, I went to Duratracs about a year ago. They are pretty good in the snow I must say. And they were available in load range C, too. I think E is way overkill for a light truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Family in Michigan runs these on all their SUVs its by far the best winter/summer tire regarding traction and over all performance.

However!!! I’m on the west coast and do lots of hot long trips in the summers talking 100-119 degree outside temps the pavement is even hotter! I found Michelins just don’t last long at all in my use / conditions. But!!!!! BFG tires and Michelins come out of the same manufacturing plant. I found the BFGs get a tougher rubber compound and do much better in my high temp region. So I tend to go BFG route vs Michelins on the west coast. BFG makes other tires besides KO2’s. However I liked my KOs on my J80. My 2019 Expedition isn’t a KO2s rig. But high probability it will have BFGs on it after the stock tires are done.

malyea

In keeping with your sentence "The thing is, everyone who disagrees with the title of this post has every valid counterpoint and argument " i have to disagree with your conclusion for off highway uses. These tires came on my 2012 Ram when i bought it. Since they were brand new, i decided to just run them through their paces. Now dont get me wrong, michelin makes great on -road tires. First test...April Snow storm. 8 inches of wet april snow. My old truck (same crewcab shortbed diesel 6 speed, same size tires Big O At's at the same pressures) did not need 4wd to get out of the driveway. These tires.....one wheel wonder. 2nd test with these tires was to hook on to my camper and head up outlaw canyon which is a red dirt /rock/ gravel road. Having towed this camper up this road before with my old truck(exact truck just 5 years older)and Big O At's, i felt it a good comparison. These tires required use of 4wd to keep forward momentum. my old Big O's did not. 3rd test. Summer mountain traffic up 4th of July. rock and gravel roads. Constant spinning out, sidewall chunking now evident. 4th test. summer rain storms: tires would hydroplane like nobodies business, and would lose traction, causing the dreaded Ram Traction control/ABS malfunction. Needless to say, these handle great on dry pavement, and are super quiet. i will be buying a second set of rims and a true- all terrain for everything aside from road trips
What are Big O At's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles