Pequod - A 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

nater

Adventurer
Looking at places to mount my HAM radio, I decided under the rear seats would be the most out of the way place possible. I did not want to drill into my new truck, so the bracket I made bolts to one of the rear seat brackets. Going to run the power cables next weekend and mount the headunit, but figured I would get the radio itself in place this weekend.

20191027_173905.jpg20191027_175103.jpg20191027_175108.jpg

Last edited:

Chewbacca

A few updates... As you may know, the 2019 HD rams moved the security module. This module has to be defeated in order to use devices like the AEV Procal, or Tazer RAM modules. In previous trucks (2018's) it was behind the radio, and in the 2019's, it moved to behind the gauge cluster. Not wanting to pull apart my dash (they seem to always rattle after that), and wanting a better solution, I used the KaodTech Security bypass harness. This the only harness (that I know of right now) specifically made for the 2019 HD Rams. If you follow in my footsteps, there is an easy way to install this thing without having midget hands, and 6 jointed arms.

You are going to want to remove the small panel to the left of the steering wheel that contains the headlight switch, and dash dimmers. Once that is removed, the STAR connectors are directly behind the now open space. Dont do what I did, and pay attention to which STAR block is green/white and which one is green/black. Make sure you plug the correct plug into each one (they are labeled). The Green/Black one is viable in the picture, the White/Green one is directly behind that. You will know you did it wrong when your truck freaks out, and you are pretty sure you just broke your brand new truck.

Once your harness is installed, pick your programmer of choice (I used a Tazer), and get to work fixing your speedo and TMPS. I did notice the transmission feels better after getting the speedo calibrated! I am within 0.5 mph of my GPS at 70mph, so I will take it!

Side note about the Tazer, it has the option to enable factory auxiliary switch menus on the cluster, meaning you can add the switches, and then control them (latching, momentary, etc). The gentleman from 4th Gen Ram Electronics has a retrofit kit coming out shortly that will allow me to cleanly add 6 auxiliary circuits (30 amps each).
If you are like me and your hands barely fit, the star connectors will slide up and pull out so that you can hook up the wires.

Attachments

• 20191114_121754.jpg
    20191114_121754.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112

nater

Adventurer
So - After a few months off (and just enjoying the truck as is) - some new parts are going to be rolling in soon.

Maple Offroad Sliders - they have had no reports of the "vibration modules" going nuts, and they are running a sale until the end of December - so those are now on order. Ordered them extra wide with full top plates, so hopefully that helps my wife get up into the truck easier.

HAM Radio - I ordered the extension cables I need for my Yaesu FTM-400 radio. When I first got the radio, there were no extension cables available for the microphone and head unit, but now there appears to be some options on the market. Once I confirm they work, I will post who made them - dont want to recommend a bad product! They were cheap ($30 total for both).

Lights - Ordered a set of Baja LP9's for the front. I will either mount on the bumper, or Maple Offroad has a light mount coming for the 2019s in the next few weeks that hopefully will be just want I want.

SPod and HAM Head mounting - Proclips released their tray mount for the space above the stereo on the 2019's - that is on order, and 2 ram balls will be mounted to it for my accessories.

Explorerinil

Observer
Update us on the maple sliders, if they work out great for you ill order up a set. Did you get his clearance or are you gonna leave that plastic piece by the fender on?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thank you! They are indeed factory led. The low, high, and fogs are all led from the factory. In fact, the only "bulbs" on the entire truck are the front turn signals, which I have replaced with some leds.

Nice! I am eagerly awaiting for mine to arrive! Looks Great!

nater

Adventurer
So, made some progress today with my brackets. Got the bracket made up to use the cubby above the stereo to mount my ham radio head and my spod switch. This uses the factory screws to mount to get the cables into this spot, I removed the 12v outlet and used the hole to route the cable

20191230_164407.jpg20191230_160544.jpg

Also got a very nice ham antenna mount that uses the bed stake hole. This will get some black paint before being mounted. I know this is not ideal, but I'm not mentally ready to drill a hole in my trucks roof.

IMG_20191230_185226_01_01.jpg

nater

Adventurer
Small update - I was interested in regearing - so I had a casual conversation with some folks in the know. Apparently the 2019s have changed axle castings, the tube diameter is larger, and the pinion seal changed. No one knows (but suspects) if the carrier changed. More research to come, but dont assume 2018 parts will fit. Good news is everyone thinks they are stronger.

gillbrak

Late to the party, but I just bought a twin to your truck so following closely. Do you know the height of your truck on 37s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94