Pequod - A 2019 Ram Power Wagon Build

jadmt

ignore button user
my buddy's smart cap is leaking thru the positive pressure vent. They are very cool tops and I think look way better in person than in photos. Were you able to order yours painted?

nater

Adventurer
my buddy's smart cap is leaking thru the positive pressure vent. They are very cool tops and I think look way better in person than in photos. Were you able to order yours painted?

The commercial caps come painted white - just so happens it's the same white as my truck. Sorry to hear it's leaking - something I will watch out for. There are a few items I need to follow up with them on...

nater

Adventurer
So - after a few days with the rsi installed, it absolutely looks 100x better in person than in photos - it matches the truck well while not making it look like an SUV, or a utility truck. That last part was a concern because white truck with a white metal cap could look like a service vehicle very easily.

I went with the commercial for 2 reasons - security and it comes paint matched for my white truck. It's cheaper, but you loose the front slider and the rear window is rubber molding mounted. I honestly see those as pluses - easy to replace the glass (god forbid), and less to leak later. IMG_20210117_102059.jpgIMG_20210117_102054.jpg

The third brake light window is brilliant btw!

IMG_20210117_102041.jpg

jadmt

ignore button user
actually the front slider window is slightly off center so from the cabin it looks a little strange like the topper is not on properly. also the Ram window does not open far enough to really make it worthwhile so I too would want a standard front window. Have you thought of having the Power Wagon bed decal continue up onto the topper that would look good.

nater

Adventurer
...Have you thought of having the Power Wagon bed decal continue up onto the topper that would look good.

Yes I have - I'm torn - I've seen a few guys do it, and most I did not love... I might play around with some photos to see what it would look like.

That's comforting to hear about the slider - I honestly would only use it to clean between the windows, but I *think* I can get in there from the truck side

eldedo

@nater, how did you fish the radio/spod cable thru the dash? I am going with the same setup except going to use the touchscreen and my old ftm400 from my last truck(tacoma)

nater

Adventurer
@nater, how did you fish the radio/spod cable thru the dash? I am going with the same setup except going to use the touchscreen and my old ftm400 from my last truck(tacoma)

I pulled the top of the cubby, and just pushed the wires down- crazy easy if you stay to the sides. I pulled the 12v outlet to give me a clean cable passthrough

UglyViking

Finally finished the wiring - I used some crazy nice bulkhead connectors to make the mic's easily detached - the issue was finding a matching set both for the ftm400 and Midland connectors. Turned out pretty nice. Protip for those following me, put them lower than I did, and use the hex grid on the back to get them even with each other.

View attachment 620571

Can you link where you got those connectors? I've got the same HAM radio and I would love to snag one of those!

UglyViking

I got them from digikey - warning, the one for the FTM-400 was crazy expensive...
YIKES! You weren't joking. I will keep that as a backup but fingers crossed I'll find something cheaper. I am thinking I can mount it on top of the radio so that it's facing up then just plus my mic in when needed. I currently have an extension down by my feet and it's a bit of a stretch when using it, but it's not terrible. I don't know if it's worth the price of admission at the moment.

nater

Adventurer
YIKES! You weren't joking. I will keep that as a backup but fingers crossed I'll find something cheaper. I am thinking I can mount it on top of the radio so that it's facing up then just plus my mic in when needed. I currently have an extension down by my feet and it's a bit of a stretch when using it, but it's not terrible. I don't know if it's worth the price of admission at the moment.

They make cheaper versions - but I wanted my two bulkhead fittings to match... so I had to choose a brand that had both styles I needed... search that type at digikey - you might get lucky...

poisondoc

Great looking truck. Love the bulkhead connector mic extensions - super clean. You are providing a lot of PW inspiration here and look forward to more updates...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94