people with portable solar panels...

shade

Just to split ExPo hairs. Aside from some european cars of 30+ years past, all windshields are laminated glass.
Side & rear windows are tempered glass.
PV modules are sort of best and a half of both. Tempered glass with ’poly laminated on one side. :cool:
True about windshields. My point was that they can take a beating and still remain relatively transparent. PV panel glass should be even more resistant to damage, but as the macro hared one said, scuffing during transport could add up. Coroplast is a good solution. A year from now, there should be plenty of it around U.S. towns, free for the taking.

Are PV cells laminated to the glass?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I wouldn't bother trying to make anything out of HF moving blankets. I bought a couple last winter to hang front and rear of the camper van as curtains to contain the heat, and it didn't take but maybe 20 or 30 unpack, hang, repack cycles and they started magically self-disassembling into piles of loose fibers.

dreadlocks

YMMV, they definitely are not quality like real moving blankets.. Ive had one as a trunk liner for 4 years and its holding up fine, I figured it'd be a pile of dust by now.. even went through the wash once or twice.

they are cheap as crap, and I see em as disposable.. I just drape it over my panel as it rides vertically, keeps luggage or something from shifting and spending a day rubbing its plastic off onto it.. Its not my long term plan to transport it like that but it works, so its not like you need a +$200 Zamp molded case to keep your portables in once piece.. just pack em well.. buy real moving blankets if you want quality, im sure amazon has em heh.

A sheet of coroplast for my portable would cost a few HF moving blankets at least heh

01tundra

Explorer
I mounted ours on a piece of 3/16" perforated steel and used 1/2" tall plastic stand-off spacers. Mounted it in the front storage compartment of our travel trailer.

It's located about 1' from our battery bank, took approximately 5' of wire to get there.

XyZalW2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles