People think pulleys increase pulling power.

camp4x4

Adventurer
Yes But the 27000Lb Load on the Cable being pulled is being pulled from one single point so that load is all on the first length of Cable from the winch to the first pulley and between those two points the Cable is still a 9000Lb Cable and the load / Strain on the cable does not get halved/reduced until it has passed through the first Pulley.

After that point the cable/s divide the weight/power between them and if the cable is going to break it will be either at the winch or possibly on the length of cable from the last pulley to the Anchor point.

I agree that 3 X the cable can take 27000Lbs but it is that first single length that is the weakest point.

You HAVE to be messing with us at this point... Seriously, what will it take to get this straight in your head? What source of information will you listen to if it contradicts what you're saying because I will go find that source and have them speak the truth to you. Because right now...

View attachment GiddySickFinch.webm

camp4x4

Adventurer
Thanks for the drawing. That and what Verkstad noted made me realize it was a traveling block configuration...

Holy hell!! It worked!! We did it boys!! Promotions all around!!

Seriously, glad you got it Randy, sorry I didn't know the word for it... now I do: traveling block configuration.

Essayons

Seriously, glad you got it Randy, sorry I didn't know the word for it... now I do: traveling block configuration.

You HAVE to be messing with us at this point... Seriously, what will it take to get this straight in your head? What source of information will you listen to if it contradicts what you're saying because I will go find that source and have them speak the truth to you. Because right now...

View attachment 525318

View attachment 525318
(to 67cj5)--The load is on the pulleys/blocks, not on the lines/cables. Something to consider when buying snatch blocks...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
All my snatch blocks are 4 and 3/4 and 8 ton
I have a feeling we are going to go back into the rabbit hole.

The snatch block “feels” 2x the load on the cable, so if your theoretical 9000 lb winch is really loaded to 9000 (4.5 tons) and you use a snatch block to get to 18000 (9 tons), you just overloaded your block. In a real world situation, you have no idea how much load is on a block or winch line at any given time, and you have no idea how the manufacturer rated their gear, and you are unlikely to run your winch to a full stall load, so it is all just theoretical, until something breaks.

This is why you should stand back and put some sort of damper on the winch line.

shade

Not so fast there, bub. I'm still waiting to hear how this makes sense.

I know what they are and what they can do, The Pulleys and the 3 or 4 lots of cable might be able to take the weight, BUT the cable From the Winch to the first Pulley and the Cable From the Last Pulley to the Anchor Point are taking the full weight of the Load Which is WHY all Heavy Lifting equipment run Duel, Triple or Quad Winch/Cables,

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I was questioning the "all Heavy Lifting equipment run Duel, Triple or Quad Winch/Cables" bit.
It has been quite a few years since my crane certification class, but the 40 ton rough terrains and even the 180 or 200 ton cranes I’ve worked with only use a single cable / wire rope.

Similarly to a rigged winch, that might go back and forth many times, but it is still just 1 cable.

shade

It has been quite a few years since my crane certification class, but the 40 ton rough terrains and even the 180 or 200 ton cranes I’ve worked with only use a single cable / wire rope.

Similarly to a rigged winch, that might go back and forth many times, but it is still just 1 cable.
That has been my experience as well. It's the whole point of all those "quad cables".

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's just one cable, ran through pulleys multiple times, just like the girls water jug.

1.gif

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Anyone have a link to the Army pulling Humvee's out with just a rope and pulleys? Manpower only.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Now that everyone seems to have the general idea.

Here is a really good rigging system to have in your back pocket for when double lining isn't enough
This is the most pull force you can generate with only two snatch blocks.

Attachments

• Winch1.png
    Winch1.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 39

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94