People think pulleys increase pulling power.

MOguy

Explorer
I can't wait for someone to show him that the rope between pulleys is no different that different size gears meshing and how transmissions work.............
I hope somebody gives it a shot. Show me my results are incorrect.
I am sure somebody here has a winch, pulley and 10 minutes.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
1 foot mark for tire
tire befre.jpg

2 foot mark for cable
2 foot cable.jpg

cable from winch back to Jeep
set up.jpg

cable moved on foot
cable after.jpg
Tire moved one foot
tire after.jpg

cable moved 1 foot, tire moved one foot 1:1 mechanical advantage.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Too bad I cant see those Facebook videos. Those links just show up from Facebook as something to effeft of ”Content Unavailable”.
After all this, Would really like to see whats going on.

I suspect root cause a form of mechanical dyslexia.

Got them posted for you nonbeleivers.

If you have a winch, a pulley and 10 minutes please prove me wrong.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Got them posted for you nonbeleivers.

If you have a winch, a pulley and 10 minutes please prove me wrong.

I'm unable to do this right now so if you want to whine that I didn't do it myself, well I can't.

Your cable distance marker should be on the line going into the winch (2ft from winch), OR, your marker should be at the pulley on the side being pulled into the winch, measuring the distance your mark moves, 2ft away from the pulley.

Going through the pulley on the Jeep side, if the winch pulls in 2 feet in to move the Jeep 1 foot, it's going to shorten the runs of cable through the pulley by 1ft per side. (Winch to pulley / Pulley to Jeep)

Your marker is at the pulley end, it's only measuring the reduced distance of one side of the cable, not the total cable reeled in.

Your results are accurate, but you are measuring the wrong thing to get the result you expect. But I highly suspect at this point you know this and are trolling.

MOguy

Explorer
I'm unable to do this right now so if you want to whine that I didn't do it myself, well I can't.

Your cable distance marker should be on the line going into the winch (2ft from winch), OR, your marker should be at the pulley on the side being pulled into the winch, measuring the distance your mark moves, 2ft away from the pulley.

Going through the pulley on the Jeep side, if the winch pulls in 2 feet in to move the Jeep 1 foot, it's going to shorten the runs of cable through the pulley by 1ft per side. (Winch to pulley / Pulley to Jeep)

Your marker is at the pulley end, it's only measuring the reduced distance of one side of the cable, not the total cable reeled in.

Your results are accurate, but you are measuring the wrong thing to get the result you expect. But I highly suspect at this point you know this and are trolling.

Trolling??
The pulley has to move, therefore it has to be on the load or within the system. If the pulley stays in one place the cable will move the same distance on each side. The anchor point and that pulley are stationary in my set up. The pulley moving is the key.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You should do a series of measurements of how much rope is moved per foot of vehicle travel with the following conditions:
  • Using base/first layer on the drum without block
  • Using outer/fourth layer of rope without block
  • Fall line side using base/first layer on the drum with block
  • Fall line side using outer/fourth layer of rope with block
  • Dead line side using base/first layer on the drum with block
  • Dead line side using outer/fourth layer of rope with block
Please post results.

MOguy

Explorer
You should do a series of measurements of how much rope is moved per foot of vehicle travel with the following conditions:
  • Using base/first layer on the drum without block
  • Using outer/fourth layer of rope without block
  • Fall line side using base/first layer on the drum with block
  • Fall line side using outer/fourth layer of rope with block
  • Dead line side using base/first layer on the drum with block
  • Dead line side using outer/fourth layer of rope with block
Please post results.
when you have more or less winch wrapping around the drum it is like a gear. different size gears spin at different rate. The same is true if the pulley MOVES with in the system.

I initially though I was going to be wrong until I tested it.

Why can't somebody else to the same to either verify or refute what I have shown?

robert

Expedition Leader
I think I'm going to request a refund on my high angle rescue class. :ROFLMAO:

The CMCPro link you provided as evidence clearly shows a 3:1 simple M/A system. The hand would represent your winch, the pulley to the right of the hand would be the one attached to your vehicle and the first pulley from the hand would be the anchor point.
1522354870026.png
Light reading for you: FM20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations Please start on page 11, see specifically page 19

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I think I'm going to request a refund on my high angle rescue class. :ROFLMAO:

The CMCPro link you provided as evidence clearly shows a 3:1 simple M/A system. The hand would represent your winch, the pulley to the right of the hand would be the one attached to your vehicle and the first pulley from the hand would be the anchor point.
View attachment 440371

Doesn't each system have a pulley that moves within the system?

Joe917

Explorer
OH FFS!
Of course the cable moved a foot from the pulley! The Jeep moved a foot towards the pulley. Thats's 2' of cable out of the system for a Jeep move of one foot.
Try the Jeep 20' from the tree, so that's 40' of cable. Now see how much cable you have to pull to reach the tree.
Hint: you should lie in front of the Jeep for this to work correctly.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Why can't somebody else to the same to either verify or refute what I have shown?

Anyone that has been on this forum very long knows you too well to be bothered, you'll come up with some excuse why it's wrong and your right just like you do with any logical explanation presented to you. I got nothing better to do at the moment than exchange BS with you for entertainment, but if I'm home and have access to my winch and tackle, hell I got much better ways to spend my time than proving something I don't need convincing of.

You apparently got time on your hands and access to your gear, go measure it the right way yourself. Measure it a bunch of different ways, heck cover your bases. It might even improve our opinions of you for future discussions on physics. If this is really something you are interested in, you would be out there now checking it out to satisfy your own questions and not have to wonder if we are pulling your leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94