People think pulleys increase pulling power.

old .45

Observer
Ok....... I give up....... will not try to recover my truck at all...... I shall just blow it in place and call it a wrap!?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Now that everyone seems to have the general idea.

Here is a really good rigging system to have in your back pocket for when double lining isn't enough
This is the most pull force you can generate with only two snatch blocks.

Slooooowwwww....

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Now that everyone seems to have the general idea.

Here is a really good rigging system to have in your back pocket for when double lining isn't enough
This is the most pull force you can generate with only two snatch blocks.

That may be the most force. In the hypothetical 9000 lb winch and infinitely stuck truck scenario, I would be afraid of the snatch block loads there, and curious what to do when you get to the end of your extension cable... hope you’re unstuck?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That may be the most force. In the hypothetical 9000 lb winch and infinitely stuck truck scenario, I would be afraid of the snatch block loads there, and curious what to do when you get to the end of your extension cable... hope you’re unstuck?

Re-rig it to the next anchor or position?

It is easy to shorten a winch extension if you need to also. You can rig it so both pulleys basically almost hit the bumper.
This can be nice if you need to generate a lot of force close in to the vehicle when the anchor is rather close or you are trying to 'lift' close to the bumper.
When a winch is working close in you lose a lot of available winch force with a lot of the line still being on the drum.

This is just one more option for rigging when you need it. Cascade rigging can also be used to spread out the load over various anchors if you are trying to extract another vehicle.

frans

Adventurer
Does anyone have a diagram of 'reverse winching' (I think it is called).
Where a vehicle winch end is right up against a barrier/cliff etc and you pass the winch cable UNDER the vehicle, through a block anchored somewhere behind the vehicle, then back under the vehicle then attached to the barrier. Run the winch and the vehicle moves backward.
I hope I described it correctly...???

frans

Adventurer
Aside from ”back under the vehicle then attached to the barrier” which is completely daft...
Running rope from a winch to anchor in any direction desired will work.
Of course running a rope from a front winch then under its vehicle is likely to damage something, thats beside the point of ”will it work?”.

There is answering an honest question politely posed, then there is simply being argumentative.

I take it you don't have a clue, nor the requested diagram, and also chose to ignore my repeated ??? As to the accuracy of my description.
Yet somehow you have much to say.
Lol
Around here we call that 'shooting out of your netherparts'.
?

shade

(Winch’tards??)

Hey, that's my provisional name for a line of spandex synthetic winch rope covers!

Does anyone have a diagram of 'reverse winching' (I think it is called).
Where a vehicle winch end is right up against a barrier/cliff etc and you pass the winch cable UNDER the vehicle, through a block anchored somewhere behind the vehicle, then back under the vehicle then attached to the barrier. Run the winch and the vehicle moves backward.
I hope I described it correctly...???

Ideally, you'd want an anchor forward of the vehicle for a pulley, then route accordingly. The key is doubling back from the vehicle to the last anchor.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but greatly simplified, you're creating a second winch at that rearmost anchor. This is also a good illustration of how the winch can be thought of as a pulley in the many preceding 2:1 diagrams. Functionally, there is no difference other than the excess line moves past the pulley instead of being spooled on a drum.

Last edited:

frans

Adventurer
That's awesome! Thank you!
I see that he redirected the winch line to the side of the vehicle, not under it.

shade

That's awesome! Thank you!
I see that he redirected the winch line to the side of the vehicle, not under it.
Due to the angles involved, it'd be difficult to run the line under the vehicle. Two anchor points could be used, but the pulleys would have to be mounted very low to keep the line off the undercarriage, and the anchors would have to be in near perfect left-right alignment to keep the line off the tyres.

Taking line directly from the winch under a vehicle would likely be very hard on the winch, bumper, and undercarriage.

frans

Adventurer
I also like how he reiterated safety and making sure everyone fully understands what is happening. The forces generated can release in unexpected ways. For example one of the rovers in our convoy got stuck in front of me on a hair pin curve. As I was behind him it was up to me to winch over the rear of his rover. I set up an anchor point off to the edge of the dirt road and attached the end of my winch line to his rear bumper. Gently skid the rear of his rover over just enough so he could make the turn.
Dammed if the guy popped his clutch and continued driving down the road!
I frantically tried to spool out, but he ended really yanking my rover toward the anchor point before he finally stopped!
Communication is key.

electric winches either direct pull, double pullies, etc can unintentionally generate huge stored hidden forces that got to go somewhere.
I like those old land rovers with a capstan winch. It seems like you can 'work' the line to allow some slippage and perhaps avoid quickly building huge loads unintentionally.
In my tree business we use capstan winches slot to rig out tree parts, I would be scared to use an electric winch in that situation.

i made a fun video some years ago testing two different tree winches to distruction . It's on YouTube : grcs Volvo drop test
Sorry don't know how to embed videos. But it is a fun watch

shade

i made a fun video some years ago testing two different tree winches to distruction . It's on YouTube : grcs Volvo drop test
Sorry don't know how to embed videos. But it is a fun watch
This one? Great video. I love the guy dabbin' at 6:00.

If not, just click the Share link on YouTube, copy the link, and paste it into the body of your post here.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles