Pelican case?

FettsWay

Adventurer
I bought this at a garage sale for $5 about 5 years ago before I even knew about Pelican cases. I have never really used and now I am wondering if is a Pelican case.

There are no markings on it and it looks to have and brand name badges removed from it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had one like it to help identify.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 276

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Sure looks like a Peli to me. If so, wow, great find! How big is it, because it looks alot like our large camera case.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I agree, looks like a Pelican case to me.

I guess if you really wanted to know the exact model number, measure the dimensions and match it up to the specs of the product line up.

telwyn

Adventurer
Also looks very similar to an HRPC except the stripping is missing the ribbing and the handle is slightly different.

FettsWay

Adventurer
Also looks very similar to an HRPC except the stripping is missing the ribbing and the handle is slightly different.

Looking at that link, it could be an older gen version of HRPC, mine also came with foam inserts, but didn't post that pic in the original post. The garage sale was in a nice neighborhood. An old retired couple was selling alot of accumulated stuff, and it was at the end of the day and guy said "have it for $5". He said it was waterproof and he use to carry equipment in it for his job. Can't remember much more than that, but being waterproof made it sound like a good buy.

Attachments

• IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 130

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I agree that it's a Pelican as well. You can see the indent for the owners engrave-able name plate next to the handle, as well as the indent on the lower right portion of the lid where Pelican usually places their nameplate and model number.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
That is an (older) Pelican 1550 case. No doubt in my mind.

I have a couple of 1550 cases. I have traveled many thousands of miles with them and they have served me well.

Good find.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Jealous! Definitely a Pelican. I would say it looks like a 1500 cause that's what i have. It can't be much more than a 1500 because the 1600 have clasps on the sides as well. just my $.02

Peter

opie

Explorer
Question...

What would a good size be for a D80 body with a 17-70 size lens attached, a 70-300 lens, SB600 and room for another lens in the future?

Right now everything is stowed in a Lowe Pro Rezo 190 with room to spare and that measures 12x8x8.

It looks like the 1500 would be around a good size, just want to be sure prior to making a purchase.

Also...Im assuming the foam needs to be custom cut. What do you all use to do that?

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
The foam should be Pick n' Pluck meaning pick the section you want to remove and then pluck it out.

Place the item on the foam and mark it off and get to pluckin'.

Great cases, make the purchase and don't look back!

opie

Explorer
The foam should be Pick n' Pluck meaning pick the section you want to remove and then pluck it out.

Place the item on the foam and mark it off and get to pluckin'.

Great cases, make the purchase and don't look back!

Thanks. It took awhile for that to sink in.

go4aryd

Adventurer
If you get in/out of the case often, you will learn to hate the foam. Although it costs a bit more, the padded inserts are much nicer to use for photo gear. I have two pelican 1610 wheeled cases, both with inserts. I had a case for a long time (bought used for $40) before deciding to try the inserts (which cost much more than I paid for the case). Now I don't want to use anything else in my cases. Unfortunately, the inserts are virtually never for sale at much less than retail. Good news is they are not that expensive for the smaller cases.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles