Pause overland trailer

rehammer81

I suspect that most of these trailers will seeing duty on stretches of NFS & BLM roads as found in the western US. Most of them on the primary graded gravel as well as dirt. Then certainly on some of the secondary or 3rd level, but not likely very far on the latter. Will there be a few that push the limits? Of course. And, there will be a few who push there limits on some crazy stuff. My primary interest has always been for something that won’t self destruct on those 1st & 2nd tier roads. Get back in to somewhere interesting where I can drop it and go out exploring for the day. My F150 with the max tow pkg is rated to tow them, but frankly the tongue weights will push me to the 1,780# payload limit once the wife, dog, bikes and misc gear is loaded in. Also, I have no interest in stepping up to a Super Duty or something comparable. Had one for 21 years. Been there done that. Then, there’s the price.
You are absolutely right. I believe most people's goal is a trailer that can regularly leave pavement and not self destruct. Not something they can rock crawl the Rubicon with. If it can routinely handle levels 1 and 2 as you described and manage carefully picking it's way through some rougher offshoots for shorter distances to find that nicely hidden campsite, you've got a winner. For me the idea for these trailers is a basecamp further in than a lot of people are willing to go and then I'll explore with my truck or bike from there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
You are absolutely right. I believe most people's goal is a trailer that can regularly leave pavement and not self destruct. Not something they can rock crawl the Rubicon with. If it can routinely handle levels 1 and 2 as you described and manage carefully picking it's way through some rougher offshoots for shorter distances to find that nicely hidden campsite, you've got a winner. For me the idea for these trailers is a basecamp further in than a lot of people are willing to go and then I'll explore with my truck or bike from there.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

your 100% right. Most people dont do crazy stuff like we do, they just want to know that it can. They see that hey...if it can do that, then we should be able to do this trail without any problem.
P1299403.jpeg

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

So the word on the street is the Pause trailers are in production and taking orders without telling anyone what the specs are. TBD...I mean come on. These bad boys are beasts and likely will need a 12 foot garage and likely not towable with some half ton trucks. But who knows

DFNDER

The new video is up mentioning the move to Battleborn and Victron, nixing the Renogy stuff. Seems like a good move, if not a potentially expensive one. Personally, I have no problem with digital and electronic controls when most of the failures I’ve experienced with boats, cars and trailers have been with physical switches. I used to work on my old alfas, and do miss the pre digital days when I could do all my own work, but I did spend a lot of time fixing mechanical switches and things that just didn’t last. I’ll take my risks with less mechanical more digital at this point as I’m a card carrying techno nerd anyway. From what I’ve seen, the Garmin system is pretty awesome.

Treefarmer

The new video is up mentioning the move to Battleborn and Victron, nixing the Renogy stuff. Seems like a good move, if not a potentially expensive one. Personally, I have no problem with digital and electronic controls when most of the failures I’ve experienced with boats, cars and trailers have been with physical switches. I used to work on my old alfas, and do miss the pre digital days when I could do all my own work, but I did spend a lot of time fixing mechanical switches and things that just didn’t last. I’ll take my risks with less mechanical more digital at this point as I’m a card carrying techno nerd anyway. From what I’ve seen, the Garmin system is pretty awesome.
The latest price I saw for a Pause was $139k. That was before the switch from Renogy to Victron and Battleborn. I wonder if they'll hold that price with that upgrade. I still don't understand why you can't find any information on the GVWR and CCC. These are brand new frame and suspension designs/products, and they are asking for a premium price. Does anyone out there have any hard numbers? I also noticed that they use a wrap on the exterior to get those cool looking graphics. Does anyone know how a wrap holds up to the elements versus waxed gelcoat fiberglass or aluminum?

Alloy

The latest price I saw for a Pause was $139k. That was before the switch from Renogy to Victron and Battleborn. I wonder if they'll hold that price with that upgrade. I still don't understand why you can't find any information on the GVWR and CCC. These are brand new frame and suspension designs/products, and they are asking for a premium price. Does anyone out there have any hard numbers? I also noticed that they use a wrap on the exterior to get those cool looking graphics. Does anyone know how a wrap holds up to the elements versus waxed gelcoat fiberglass or aluminum?

I spoke to 2 dealers that said people willing to pay that much for a 20' trailer are few and far between. One dealer said they'll think about bringing one in and the other said they will only bring one in if someone orders it.

They need to build a production model to get the GVW/GVWR/CC.

The rear storage compartment is playing with (sway) fire.

I know how to weld aluminum. From that standpoint I prefer a welded frame over Huck Bolts. The powered coated steel plates on the aluminum are going to be a mess.......I've been there done that.

Switching to Victron is good but the construction is still Forrest River.

I suspect the walls are made for strength vs. insulating quality. There was mention of the walls being welded so I suspect it is some kind of plastic. I looked at a composite box made with Polypro Hex Cell. 1670283904371.png The mfg. said it is a good insulator but there was no guarantees against condensation. If I wanted great insulation they could build a box with foam filled Polypro Hex Cell.

The warranty will tell what Palimino thinks of thier quality/durability.

Treefarmer

Supposedly they already have built production models and are on the verge of shipments to dealers. That's why the lack of specs is so unusual. I couldn't even get MorRyde to give me any information on that new air bag leveling independent suspension.

You're right about the welds. I don't want to ever discourage innovation in construction, but a well executed weld will be stronger than the base material being welded, and that makes it preferable to huck bolts IMHO.

Even though we don't tend to make warranty claims (It's often easier and faster just to take care of issues on your own), I do like to ask all RV manufacturers one question: Does you're warranty cover the trailer if it is used on a full time basis? The answer to that will tell you a lot about the manufacturers confidence in the product.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Battle Born and Victron are definitely an upgrade but like I predicted Palomino, Imperial and ROA are in competition to break the 200k mark. All while RV sales in general are slowing down. Maybe that won't carry over to the off road 12 feet tall rigs. But not to worry all this innovation will trickel down to 70k and below rigs. Not

Alloy

Supposedly they already have built production models and are on the verge of shipments to dealers. That's why the lack of specs is so unusual. I couldn't even get MorRyde to give me any information on that new air bag leveling independent suspension.

You're right about the welds. I don't want to ever discourage innovation in construction, but a well executed weld will be stronger than the base material being welded, and that makes it preferable to huck bolts IMHO.

Even though we don't tend to make warranty claims (It's often easier and faster just to take care of issues on your own), I do like to ask all RV manufacturers one question: Does you're warranty cover the trailer if it is used on a full time basis? The answer to that will tell you a lot about the manufacturers confidence in the product.

Aluminum looses (min 30% depending the grade and filler metal) strength when welded. This means the welded aluminum will (depending on the safety margin) be heavier due to the extra strength needed and ease of welding.

It will interesting to find out what aluminum frame material was used. Where bolts chosen to use lighter aluminum, staff that requires less training or both.

Treefarmer

If you ever have a chance to take a look at one these, it would be interesting to hear your report back. If we can't get an answer on the weight rating of a new suspension system, I doubt we'll be able to get any specs on the aluminum used for the frame.

Alloy

If you ever have a chance to take a look at one these, it would be interesting to hear your report back. If we can't get an answer on the weight rating of a new suspension system, I doubt we'll be able to get any specs on the aluminum used for the frame.

I'm going to the Seattle RV show. I'd expect to find one there.

Sometimes there is stenciling on the material but not often when the material comes directly from the mill. I'll bet $0.25 the grade will be 6061 though. It's easy to determine the size of the material by measuring the H x W x flange thickness.

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Trailers finished production yesterday December 19th and are shipping out today to a few locations. Pause trailers are officially on the market.

Treefarmer

Trailers finished production yesterday December 19th and are shipping out today to a few locations. Pause trailers are officially on the market.
Are they going to market without any information on GVWR and CCC? There's nothing on the ROA website or the Palomino website with that information. If you can share any data...thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles