Pause overland trailer

Porkchopexpress

...So take everything said in that video with a grain of salt until you can do some due diligence.
Of course, especially coming from a YouTube "influencer".

... I don't think an aluminum frame bolted together is a very good idea for an off road trailer with a fully independent air bag suspension.
I don't know about the air suspension but bolted aluminum frames are used by Schutt industries who make military trailers.

There are definitely a few things I would change on the Pause based on the video and for all I know it could be a piece of crap but overall im optimistic that it will be cool.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Of course, especially coming from a YouTube "influencer".

I don't know about the air suspension but bolted aluminum frames are used by Schutt industries who make military trailers.

There are definitely a few things I would change on the Pause based on the video and for all I know it could be a piece of crap but overall im optimistic that it will be cool.

I believe he said pop riveted which I agree is suspect. My guess is they are bolted but I wonder if they use the same bolts as Schutt?

DFNDER

Great idea having the refrigerator and outdoor kitchen not under the awning. Guess it never rains on these people, or they just scoot inside when the weather’s bad since they brought an entire house with them. Riveted aluminum frame overlanding? Really? One good hit and the trailer is toast. Who would trust Elkhart rivets anyway? And who the heck is hauling 8-9,000 pounds over anything but a Walmart speed bump? But, if you want a slightly better looking RV that might survive some washboard, and require all the comforts of home while “camping”, I guess this is one way to do it.

CORVDealers

It will be higher than 100k.

It's got a lot of hits and a lot of misses. Aluminum frame and a 1.25" sidewall thickness and they stated a 1" roof that means it will be comparable to black series in the 4-season capability (not good in cold)

it's also got all metal cabinets inside as well, and a folding murphy bed which makes changing the mattress to a more comfortable one a pain. Lot of rhino lining outside to cover up the various imperfections.

Good step from Indiana, but most people like overlanding trailers to get away from the typical lippert/furrion stuff

Last edited:

It will be higher than 100k. Dealers were told at open house that it will be 88k plus freight for dealer cost and since they will only build about 200-300 per year it will be a high margin trailer

It's got a lot of hits and a lot of misses. Aluminum frame and a 1.25" sidewall thickness and they stated a 1" roof that means it will be comparable to black series in the 4-season capability (not good in cold)

it's also got all metal cabinets inside as well, and a folding murphy bed which makes changing the mattress to a more comfortable one a pain. Lot of rhino lining outside to cover up the various imperfections.

Good step from Indiana, but most people like overlanding trailers to get away from the typical lippert/furrion stuff

Absolutely. Really a Murphy bed...******

Treefarmer

It will be higher than 100k. Dealers were told at open house that it will be 88k plus freight for dealer cost and since they will only build about 200-300 per year it will be a high margin trailer

I didn't catch those wall/roof thicknesses. That's pretty bad, I don't care how high tech your materials are.

Is something inferior about riveted aluminum ? I heard the guy say Huck Rivet. I never heard of an Elkhart rivet.
Of course “Huck” has become generic name for many who describe a structural blind or two piece drawn mandrel rivet regardless of its manufacturer.

Pros and cons compared to skilled aluminum welds?

Treefarmer

Pros and cons compared to skilled aluminum welds?
Nothing beats a "skilled aluminum weld". Properly welded joints are stronger than the virgin material being welded together. It's difficult to join aluminum and steel, but I don't think they're doing that in the Pause (from what I saw in the video). If you do attach a steel hitch to an aluminum frame, you definitely need to coat all the contact areas properly so you avoid any steel to aluminum contact.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
If you do attach a steel hitch to an aluminum frame, you definitely need to coat all the contact areas properly so you avoid any steel to aluminum contact.

Can confirm. Just yesterday I had to replace my vehicle's license plates because they are aluminium, and it had corroded away in the points where my stainless bolts (which secure the plate) contacted it. Have owned the vehicle for 3.5 years, but have been using these bolts for less time.

Now using a plastic license plate cover to separate the plate and the bolts from contact.

What remained of the license plate:

yM3AZyD.png

Grassland

Is something inferior about riveted aluminum ? I heard the guy say Huck Rivet. I never heard of an Elkhart rivet.
Of course “Huck” has become generic name for many who describe a structural blind or two piece drawn mandrel rivet regardless of its manufacturer.
Elkhart Indiana is a place where a large majority of the typical consumer RVs and trailers in north america are manufactured. His comment is basically pointing out the very poor quality reputation of everything that comes out of there.
Riveted aluminum can be great, if it's the right grade, right fasteners, done properly. But with the track record of the company manufacturing this trailer, it's sure to be none of those things, seeing that they can't staple together lumber properly.

jmmaxus

I believe he said pop riveted which I agree is suspect. My guess is they are bolted but I wonder if they use the same bolts as Schutt?

Yeah, after rewatching that part he said Huck riveted and you can see rivet heads, not bolts.

He said it’s a Morryde frame that is Huck Riveted and then shortly after said bolts. Technically there are “Huck Bolts” which are through bolts that require access to both sides of a material to set the pin and collar and there are also Huck “Structural blind rivets.” From the videos I’ve seen of Schutt building the Xventure it appears they use Huck Structural Blind and not Huck Bolts. I tried zooming in on this video and freezing the video on the underside of the chassis to determine but couldn’t get a good look, but I was expecting to see more plates and Huck fasteners joining the beams. The outside view you see quite a bit of flush rivets but I’m not sure if those are structural/chassis. For the chassis/frame you’d probably want to use 5/16” or larger Huck fasteners (bolts or structural blinds)

I think with Aluminum, Huck fasteners is far superior to welding as it eliminates the worry of weld fatigue which seems to be more of a worry with Aluminum than steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rehammer81

ROA just posted a new video of the Pause offerings. Let's get the ********** fest started. Lol! I will admit there are things that sound cool and I would like to believe a big U.S. manufacturer is capable and willing to build a quality unit. I'm skeptical though. Again coming out of the gates over $100k again.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Treefarmer

And that's $100k before you pay for the useful upgrades/mods needed. I may be the only luddite out there, but I'm not enthralled with all the newer trailers that hype the "high tech" interconnected aspects of their systems. Needing to use a proprietary tablet, phone or operating system to control your trailer operations just doesn't appeal to me. Does that mean you're locked into their system forever with regard to hardware/software upgrades, replacements, etc.? If I have a failure in any one component, I like the option of choosing the best possible replacement and not needing it to plug and play with any existing proprietary system. That Garmin all in one system just makes my skin crawl, but I can see why some people might be impressed with that. The MorRyde suspension and articulating hitch are interesting. I'm glad a US company is making those types of components, but I can't find any specs from MorRyde on those products. They may not be available to retail buyers. Back before the supply chains fell apart, we've had failures in MorRyde suspension parts that have taken a month or more for MorRyde to replace, so just because something is made in the US doesn't mean you'll find replacement parts easily. One thing's for sure, with all the new trailers they're bringing on and selling, ROA is going to have to build out some more service bays and hire a lot more service techs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier