Past the point of no return...

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Some said it would never happen. I said it would never happen. But I wanted to do more challenging territory and my limitation and weak point was my IFS. Although a very capable Tacoma and proving itself on difficult terrain already, CV issues - 3 rebuilds in about 1 year - convinced me that I needed a more durable, proven solution. First of all, I'm no rock-crawler, but I drive long interstate distances to go off-road and often with a lot of gear in addition to the standard offroad armor pushing the already upgraded suspension and drivetrain. Right now, sans gear, the truck weighs 4400 lbs. With the basic load of recovery gear, tools, some spares, and what not adds another 300lbs.

My goal for the truck is ability, reliability, drivability, and ease of maintenance. This is the start of my Solid Axle Swap. My friends at Iron Pig Offroad in Fredericksburg, VA have a few bright ideas up their fire retardent welding sleeves.

I'll post up progress periodically. My job now is to feed the pig...

CIMG0931.jpg

Anyone interested in an OME suspension, various front IFS parts, or a 5.29 regeared front diff (Nitro)?
CIMG0928.jpg

CIMG0930.jpg

CIMG0929.jpg

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
How do you like the 5.29 gears?

Very cool. Waggy 44 going in?

The 5.29s are awesome. After struglling with the OEM 4.56s, it brought me a return to stock performance, to include improved fuel economy after the addition of extra weight and the 285's. Just the ticket for the 2.7 with AT. Plus, it gives me the option for 35's later down the road, should I desire.

Cooler than a Waggy... Trail Gear ROCK ASSAULT left-hand drop axle housing, high pinion third member, 5.29s of course, and an ARB locker. It's one beefy axle housing, and it's Tacoma-ready.

Explorer
Wow! Tango finally started a thread :victory:

I could be interested in the 5.29 whats your price?

Oh, and You have to personally deliver it to Montana within a year :)

SilverBullet

Explorer
Very nice, I have an SAS myself and will follow to see tips on street ability and how to make that better since it is my DD.

Leafs to come or 4-link?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow! Tango finally started a thread :victory:

I could be interested in the 5.29 whats your price?

Oh, and You have to personally deliver it to Montana within a year :)

Oh come on now, search, grasshopper! :coffeedrink:

Do you find interesting... Sierra gears, about 14 months old in that clamshell diff, maybe 5,000 "gentle" miles and hardly any of them engaged in 4WD... just enough to knock the burrs off, built by IPOR, and I have no idea what to ask for it. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Custom, expedited delivery is extra - WAY-extra. ;)

Every indication is you WILL see me in MT this summer; you might even think about doing Canada and AK after we hook up in MT. :bike_rider:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Very nice, I have an SAS myself and will follow to see tips on street ability and how to make that better since it is my DD.

Leafs to come or 4-link?

Something in between. I'm sworn to secrecy by IPOR on the build; they're doing some things a little different than the usual front suspension methods. When they give me the green light I'll be sure to post up what we've accomplished.

I plan on being at OX11 again this year if you happen to be planning on attending.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles