Passenger airbag removal prior to heater core replacement?

Cosmos99

Tackling my heater core this week. Got about 75% of what I need to remove out of the way. I stopped prior to removing passenger airbag. My thoughts are disconnect battery entirely, then loosen the nuts holding in the airbag to get some slack then just disconnect it. Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks,

Ed

Cosmos99

Was hoping the culprit was just the hoses leaking but it was the top of the heater core. Getting a whole new core made so it will be better than new. Should be done next week.504872

Cosmos99

Mine was like that. Be prepared to spend some good time dobbing out the bottom of the enclosure with a fresh water soaked sponge to help avoid continued sweet antifreeze smell with your heater.
Good idea! definitely smells of coolant in the cabin right now.

airbox

Mine looked like that as well. I had a heck of a time getting it out with that bent copper pipe on the right, so I cut the pipe to about 4cm and used a flex heater hose from napa. It'd be a good idea to grease all those plastic slide joints/fittings, too. Good luck!

Cosmos99

Yeah it was a little bit of a pain to get that out. I need to buy some new hoses anyways cut those old dry ones off to make it easier. Did you re-use factory hose clamps?

Cosmos99

Anyone know if it’s ok to start it up and let it run without the passenger airbag? Would love to test the hoses for leaks before putting the dash back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles