Passed My Technician License Exam

Stryder106

Explorer
I passed my Ham Tech license exam yesterday.............Once I get my call sign, I can actually turn on this radio I bought and installed. I'm excited to make the jump from CB.
IMG_1145.jpg

brentbba

Explorer
Congrats!

You can turn on your radio anytime!! Before you passed the exam, at least you could have listened, just not transmitted 'legally'. It's been almost 10 years, but isn't there something about being able to transmit once you know you've passed, even before you receive your call sign?

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanks. When I power up this radio - the first thing it does is ask for the call sign to be input before proceeding. So, I just turned it off. What you mention is how I thought it worked, but then the guys administering the exam yesterday, said "You should get your call sign in 7-10 days - then you can get started." I may have misinterpreted what they meant, but I took it as I needed to wait until I actually received it.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I passed my Ham Tech license exam yesterday

Congrats. Looks like you will be a KM6L** or possibly KM6M** callsign.

isn't there something about being able to transmit once you know you've passed, even before you receive your call sign?
What you mention is how I thought it worked,

Back when they issued hard licenses you didn't have to wait for the hard license to be mailed to you to operate, as soon as your call sign appeared on the FCC ULS database you could talk on the radio as you had your call sign. No call sign, no talking. Now they don't issue hard copy licenses, unless specifically requested I believe so once you are in the FCC ULS database you are still good to go but you should print a copy of your license from the database. http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...xQHrx1h8dLMycsJV1wh7Qpg!1570968815!1656719402

What did you use for study materials?
I have used http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ and www.hamstudy.org

Last edited:

Stryder106

Explorer
What did you use for study materials?

I did two things. 1) I went on line (forget which site) and printed out the entire question pool with the answer choices and again with only the correct answer (to use as an answer key). I went through these 5 or so times, before I found QRZ.com. 2) QRZ.com - create an account - free, then you can take practice exams - all you like. It also keeps track of your test scores (minimum 75% to pass, which is 26/35), it also keeps a running total how many you ultimately answer correctly of the 426 different questions. The other thing it does is suggest sections for you to further study / focus on based on your incorrect answers. You can click on those and it will give you sub-tests that focus only on the questions for that particular area.
//
I did 20 or so practice tests and varied up my time between tests: back to back, wait an hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, 10 hours, etc. First test time took me ~35 mins. The last one took me ~ 12-15 mins. The actual test took me less than 1o minutes.

Bill Idaho

Congrats! Welcome into the amateur radio world. One of the first things I realized was the more I learned, the less I knew.
Looking back at it- was it as tough as you thought? I am certain others are apprehensive about taking the test, as some people are somewhat intimidated by tests. I did the QRZ thing after work for about a week, and passed first try. Personally, looking back at it I don't think I would particularly recommend that method as while it taught me the correct answers in order to pass the test, I didn't learn some of the little things I had to pick up along the way AFTER I got my license.
Anyway, again, congrats. KE7KentuckyFriedChicken. (Nope, not a vanity number either, luck of the draw!!!)

Stryder106

Explorer
Congrats! Welcome into the amateur radio world. One of the first things I realized was the more I learned, the less I knew.
Looking back at it- was it as tough as you thought? I am certain others are apprehensive about taking the test, as some people are somewhat intimidated by tests. I did the QRZ thing after work for about a week, and passed first try. Personally, looking back at it I don't think I would particularly recommend that method as while it taught me the correct answers in order to pass the test, I didn't learn some of the little things I had to pick up along the way AFTER I got my license.
Anyway, again, congrats. KE7KentuckyFriedChicken. (Nope, not a vanity number either, luck of the draw!!!)

I prepped like heck using QRZ and the full question pool - that was a solid two weeks a few hours everyday. For all of the formulas and schematics - I actually studied those and learned the theory so I could do the math using paper and pencil (simple formulas). That actually helped me on the test as there were 4-5 questions that were worded slightly differently so I needed to move the variables around and use the right formula. The funny thing is there are 426 possible questions and I did 417 (correctly) before I went and took the test. On my test, 4 of the questions on my particular test were part of the 9 that I never saw. That's where the extra study on the math, theory, and concepts helped a lot as I knew I hadn't seen them before, but I knew how to solve for them.
//
Was it as hard as I thought? Honestly - no. But, like you, I understand that if I want to really delve into the amateur radio world, I need to get some real guidance materials. I needed to get the license done, so I could get the call sign, so I can turn my radio on and start learning how to use it. A guys up the street from me (I've never met him) - but he has 5 really big antennas at his house. I might just go knock on his door.

arz

Adventurer
Congrats. Looks like you will be a KM6L** or possibly KM6M** callsign.

Back when they issued hard licenses you didn't have to wait for the hard license to be mailed to you to operate, as soon as your call sign appeared on the FCC ULS database you could talk on the radio as you had your call sign. No call sign, no talking. Now they don't issue hard copy licenses, unless specifically requested I believe so once you are in the FCC ULS database you are still good to go but you should print a copy of your license from the database. http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...xQHrx1h8dLMycsJV1wh7Qpg!1570968815!1656719402

I have used http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ and www.hamstudy.org
As soon as you're in the ULS, you're GTG.

And congrats!

W2ARZ

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crazysccrmd

Observer
You should be good to go Monday mid day. I did my test last Saturday and had a callsign on the FCC site Monday afternoon.

KL4NB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles