Party Rated: Our Ram 5500 budget build

dentedvw

Wire twister
empty_flex_test_25.jpg
Since I was wondering how much it flexes, I took it to a spot I saw. I didn't drive up as far as I could have, but you can see the right rear wheel is getting light. Front wheels still solidly planted. So, I would say it is a fair bit of flex in the frame, overall. No worry, as I was planning on a three point mount anyway.

Fatboyz

Observer
I believe it is about $450/wheel. If I remember correctly.
Yup that's correct, which is 600 Canadian, DBL wheels are 750 each, which is 1000 Canadian. What kills us in Canada is shipping from the US, then duty and exchange. To buy 5, 1st Attack wheels will cost me just about 4000 to get here, and DBL would be almost 6000. For now I opted out to just replace my stock rubber with the duals for some Ironhead 245 70 19.5's. May have to Drive down to the States for the Super Singles in the future.

dentedvw

Wire twister
bdtkatieedit.png
My kid made this, with the help of someone from Fiverr, who also took the photo from somewhere else. Neat!
Things are going slowly. Dark all the time when I am home, cold as heck, and work and party schedules all combine to make for short hours working on the truck.
Still, I banged together some mounts for the winch bumper. Trying to get paint to stick to them. In the basement. In small doses.IMG_20191213_124428 (1).jpg

dentedvw

Wire twister
drilledmountssmall.jpg
Also mocked up front mounts. They have since been attached.

I had some trouble locating bushings that work for these mounts, which are from the front spring mounts on an F450. But I got there in the end, with the help of some local diesel shops. It's good to be near a large city.
shaftmastersmall.jpg

dentedvw

Wire twister
At some point, I am going to need to rewrap this box. Action Plumbing may not be too keen that I am rolling around with their info on there. But maybe they would be?
Since the box isn't mounted yet, and it's still fully winter, it will either have to wait or I might rent a space at some point this winter to do some indoor work. Would be nice, but I don't know what that would cost exactly. A lot, I imagine.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
At some point, I am going to need to rewrap this box. Action Plumbing may not be too keen that I am rolling around with their info on there. But maybe they would be?
Since the box isn't mounted yet, and it's still fully winter, it will either have to wait or I might rent a space at some point this winter to do some indoor work. Would be nice, but I don't know what that would cost exactly. A lot, I imagine.

Id say, contact them and see if they'll pay you to be a rolling advertisement. Some companies would! Especially here in San Diego! :)

Daviticus

What a nice start, and sourced from my favorite local junkyard no less! I never thought to ask if they'd sell the boxes on those trucks, I was always too busy yanking engines from their GMC vans. Hope to see this around sometime! I work at a diesel shop in SLC, if you need a source on any parts for the truck I can see what I can do for you.

dentedvw

Wire twister
I had a half day at work, and though it was threatening rain, I decided to roll the dice and cut a larger hole in the flimsy roof.
Out with the fan.
fanoutsmall.jpg
In with the hatch.
newhatchsmall.jpg
I scored this hatch at a shop in SLC that sells damaged freight. There was this, and most of a medium sized window. I grabbed them, and a handful of heavy duty drawer slides and a few other things and it all came to $75. AWESOME. I was thinking these hatches were a bit out of my price range. It has a minor crack in the lid, but not enough that it would leak.
The fan will go back in, about four feet back of where it was. I also ordered some conformal coating spray, because I saw what happened to Everlander's fan controls. If you are not familiar, it was damaged by moisture. Not even anything out of the ordinary. The type of moisture you get when you breathe indoors, or wash up. I was surprised to find that they are not coated at all. If you have one of these, you may want to consider doing the same and saving yourself some headache. A spray can is inexpensive, and widely available.

blu88

I like your idea of cutting down the box to install the cab sleep over. How did frame it in?
And how much floor space are you down to?

dentedvw

Wire twister
I am framing it in with probably too much steel. I will take pictures as I go. My wife is an engineer, and I am a lowly tech, so sometimes we disagree on how to build things. We are in discussion regarding the best way to do it without using too much materials. :) So far, we've glued and bolted 3x3 1/8" aluminum angle on the outside, and inside haven't done anything other than set the (junkyard) FRP panel on top of the aluminum. Planning to box it in, and add some framing also. But, again, it's cold, sometimes wet, working outside, and there's other life stuff happening. Sometimes we work on things that are easier, or can be done in shorter amounts of time because it's convenient, or we're tired, or etc. Some days, it's all I can do to make sure the tarp on the back is secured and not flapping in the breeze. Life.
Expecting some snow tomorrow, I hear. This tends to happen on days I am not working. Ha!
Regarding the floor space, I forgot what it measures to. I welded together most of the remainder of the kitchen cabinet frame, and will test fit tomorrow. A good opportunity to document what's left.
And, happy new years, it's been a challenging year. I hope anyone who reads this is ok, and not alone. I lost a family member this week, the day after Christmas, quite unexpectedly. Sadly, he was alone when it happened. I guess it's not really pertinent to this build thread, but one big reason we are building this is so that we can be together as a small family and travel comfortably. I hope it works. If not, we'll try something else.
I'll raise a virtual toast to my pop.
And a goodbye to calendar year 2019.
Salut

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior