Party Rated: Our Ram 5500 budget build

Fatboyz

Observer
I rented a Camper a few years back and took the Family (4 of us) for a month around the South Island (NZ) my wife and I slept in the OVER CAB bed. Not great for sitting up but fine for sleeping. If you could do a north/south bed way better as you are not climbing over each other but you need 5 foot over the cab and do what Fatboyz has done with storage back into the box for another 20" odd.

Good point If I was building the overcab part you're exactly right that a side by side North south orientation would be much better! If building it from scratch then 5' wouldn't be much more work than 3.

dentedvw

Wire twister
I haven't gotten very far lately, but I did start gluing up the foam board to the ceiling. It appears that the builder wasn't very concerned with making the spaces even. Ha! Doesn't concern me much, we roll with it.
I did receive the door from Tern Overland, but haven't opened it yet. My wife got on my case about the status of our workshop, and I just got back from a week long work trip, so today was garage blow out and facebook yard sale day. It's going well, and it helped me round up a few things for the truck that I knew were in there somewhere, but now are located in a logical place.

DzlToy

Explorer
From the European truck builders, i.e. BoxManufaktur, ActionMobil, Bliss, Unicat, et al., you will usually see either a 40mm wall or a 60mm wall. Some window manufacturers, such as KCT and Outbound, follow these standards. If you wish to have a four season camper, I would not suggest a one inch wall unless you are installing Vacuum Insulated Panels (R-50 per inch).

dentedvw

Wire twister
Slow and wobbly, that's the way I describe the progress we've been making. Working ten hour days and having little free time sure doesn't help.
FB_IMG_1574508064528.jpg
But, we have done a few things. Cut out the over cab section, for example.
cuttingovercab.jpg
Installed the Tern Overland door. Which made me feel a bit daft. Some basic install instructions would have been sweet. And a cutting template. We worked it out in the end, but it was frustrating.
installdoor.jpg
We put down some flooring that same weekend, so we could be sure of the door height and because it felt like a leap forward. It's just some Luxury Vinyl Plank from Home Depot. SO LUXURIOUS. I guess.
I started wizarding together the steel frame for under the kitchen cabinets. Just rolled out the Hobart and pointed the pixie wand at some steel and zzzzaaaapppp. Best boogers on the block. Still having trouble sqeezing in time to work on things, there's many demands on time these days and the sun goes down early and holy cats it's cold sometimes. Also, snow is supposedly coming.
begincabinetframe.jpg
Hopefully today I can release some more wild pixies into the steel frame and the cabinet base will be nearly ready. Wife wants to put more drawers under the cabinets, so there's a lot of fooling around to do with that.
The neighbors are becoming weary of looking at this ugly box. If it were warmer, I might consider getting some of the new vinyl wrap on there. But then I might miss the low rent Scooby Doo. The other side has "Action Man" on it. I'm told the neighbors on that side hate it. They are also our best friends, so I find it humorous. It's not exactly Sanford and Sons out there in the drive, but I know it's not great. I considered renting a space to work on this all in over the winter, but I also considered that it will be extremely expensive. Ah well. The city hasn't sent any nasty letters yet. Or the neighbors.

dentedvw

Wire twister
You may have noticed the jack stands the box rests on. I was struggling to find something appropriate when i saw these things that pipefitters were using at the Airport. So, I looked around online and got some advice that they are not great and I discarded that immediately, then bought four of the beasties. They do just fine, honestly. Very stout, and adjustable. I bought the folding version for extra sketchiness. It makes my wife nervous when I am underneath. Like it's a giant Acme roadrunner trap maybe.
We were able to use the army of Hazard Fraught engine hoists to lift the box off the truck, and set it on the pipe stands. Worked a treat, really. Surprised everyone how well it went.
I ordered some wheels and tires, they will take about six weeks to whip up, I think the company is quite busy making them for fire trucks and contract mercenaries. Nothing real fancy, grey wheels and Pirelli Pista tires. Very likely going to need to lift the truck some to fit it all in there. Since this is a budget build I am trying to find the right balance between Sema Build (questionable these days) and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch forever. If I can get away with adjustable control arms and spring spacers and lift blocks in the rear for a bit, I will go that route. See what rubs and where and adjust plans as needed. We may need to respring the whole truck anyway, we will see. It would also be nice to have more than a few inches of suspension travel as we bounce around the desert and mountains. These trucks don't seem to have a lot of flex out of the box.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You mean you're going to cover up those awesome graphics on your camper.?
Nice job. I have a 24' uhaul box I'm going to shorten up some and put on one of my big Internationals, probably next spring.

Fatboyz

Observer
Slow and wobbly, that's the way I describe the progress we've been making. Working ten hour days and having little free time sure doesn't help.
View attachment 552677
But, we have done a few things. Cut out the over cab section, for example.
View attachment 552678
Installed the Tern Overland door. Which made me feel a bit daft. Some basic install instructions would have been sweet. And a cutting template. We worked it out in the end, but it was frustrating.
View attachment 552679
We put down some flooring that same weekend, so we could be sure of the door height and because it felt like a leap forward. It's just some Luxury Vinyl Plank from Home Depot. SO LUXURIOUS. I guess.
I started wizarding together the steel frame for under the kitchen cabinets. Just rolled out the Hobart and pointed the pixie wand at some steel and zzzzaaaapppp. Best boogers on the block. Still having trouble sqeezing in time to work on things, there's many demands on time these days and the sun goes down early and holy cats it's cold sometimes. Also, snow is supposedly coming.
View attachment 552680
Hopefully today I can release some more wild pixies into the steel frame and the cabinet base will be nearly ready. Wife wants to put more drawers under the cabinets, so there's a lot of fooling around to do with that.
The neighbors are becoming weary of looking at this ugly box. If it were warmer, I might consider getting some of the new vinyl wrap on there. But then I might miss the low rent Scooby Doo. The other side has "Action Man" on it. I'm told the neighbors on that side hate it. They are also our best friends, so I find it humorous. It's not exactly Sanford and Sons out there in the drive, but I know it's not great. I considered renting a space to work on this all in over the winter, but I also considered that it will be extremely expensive. Ah well. The city hasn't sent any nasty letters yet. Or the neighbors.
Boy that sounds familiar. I painted mine in the driveway at 0500 on a sunny sunday morning before anyone was moving. Didn't even know I did it! My wife and I also host a pig roast block party for all the neighbors every summer. Invite everyone all around. Buys some good Karma and stops the complaints! looking good.

Fatboyz

Observer
I was checking into the Pirelli's but I was told that they don't make them anymore? Not sure if it's just not available in Canada. I'm looking at 1st Attack too. Reasonable price as far super singles go. For Canada add another 25-30 % to the price as well. Was looking at DBL but was quoted 750 each US, which equates to 1000 per rim here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94