Partner Steel 18" or 22"?

Which size Partner Steel do you use?

• Total voters

just eric

Adventurer
Nothing like beating the camp stove threads to death...

Just can't decide between the 18 or 22 inch partner steel 2 burner camp stoves with windscreen. I drive an 08 FJ cruiser and usually only cook for myself and my lil wife who doesn't eat very much. I can't help but think that while I probably don't need either the extra space (cooking) might outweigh the extra space (transporting).

Does anyone have exterior dimensions for the 22"?

hoser

Explorer
I believe the 22" is 22x12. I sometimes cook for larger groups and initially I wanted the 22"... but now, I'm leaning towards the two 9x12 burner model with breakaway hinge. It takes up the same space as the 18" but can breakaway for use with larger pans/pots. However, it doesn't have the built in windscreen.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
My 22" dual burner PS stove measures (taken at the lid): 22-3/8"L x 12-1/2"W x 3-11/16"H.

I've owned both the 18" and now the 22" dual burner PS stove. The 22" has proven to be valuable for serious cooking...and cooking for more than just a couple hungry mouths ;). The windscreen, by its design, eats into the cooking space...so the 22" is more accommodating for dual 10-12" pans. It really comes down to: What type of meals you cook/prep and how many you do it for. All things being equal smaller/more compact is better from a storage perspective.

But, other than the windscreen issue, I like hoser's idea! And you could easily fab windscreens for them (assuming PS won't...they've been very accommodating to special requests in the past) from aluminum plate and hinges...

On our last big off-road foray this summer one of the guys even had a 4-burner PS that was very, very nice to have when cooking for larger groups and/or more elaborate meals!

You can never have too many stoves!

Last edited:

just eric

Adventurer
For those with the 18," do you have issues with crowding? Can you use a pot/sauce pan and dry pan at the same time without too much trouble?

At this point, I'm sure either unit will work but I only like buying things once.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I have an 18 inch and don't have any problems managing to cook a meal. But then it's just me or a couple other hungry mouths. Since you own an FJC I'd be thinking about size and weight since that seems to be a common complaint of FJC owners... where to fit everything. Plus, as long as your not committed to feeding a reinforced rifle company why get the larger unit?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
18" here

closed
18.5" long
13" wide and 3.5" deep

cooking area- with both wind shields on last point you have 22" wide on the stove center line

with both wings fully open- you'd need to support the lid you get 28" but burners are only 9" apart

so two ten -11 inch pots would be about the max with good heat

but if you were just boiling you could go wider as the heat will circulate with no issues

For my family of 3 its perfect

really only use the stove for the acutriments and cook on the open fire the meat - fish etc

If we were to do a curry or stirfry a big wok fits with no problems just lean the lid back-

You don't always need the wind shields and the stove can be used without them up

STREGA

Explorer
I have a 18" PS and a FJ Cruiser. I have not desired a larger stove, but I don't cook for large groups either. For me the 18" was the best size for the FJ (as stated previously space/weight is always a concern with the FJ), the 22" would not have fit in the space I had for the stove. Also get the windscreen, you won't regret having it.

just eric

Adventurer
Just purchased an 18" stove w/windscreen and additional grates. Bill @ PS was great to deal with and I cant wait to try out the stove in a few weeks time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke