(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
Buddy just texted me with pics of Tundra's w/ cabs off. Story is turbo issues, which are only accessible with cab off.

WTH? They have that crazy long hood with a bunch of empty space in front of the engine (reminds me of the '72 Monte Carlo I had ?), and you have to take the cab off to get to the turbos?

A bad batch of waste gate actuators is the rumor, requiring replacing a whole assembly. If it's true kind of a major stumble but it happens.

Beta testers...

rruff

Explorer
the fact that the “bumper” comes off with the body is what I find strange
That does seem odd... but I guess there is something slightly more substantial that it butts up against?

Just looking at that mess of an engine makes me wish I had something built in the 60s...

Reactions: bkg

bkg

Explorer
That does seem odd... but I guess there is something slightly more substantial that it butts up against?

Just looking at that mess of an engine makes me wish I had something built in the 60s...

told my neighbor that the engine looks like someone did a horrible job of rolling up an extension cord... and threw it in the engine bay

Last edited:

ITTOG

Ah, yes. The number two reason I bought an F150 in 2018 instead of another Tundra. Number one was that my Tundra was an 07 and in 2018 it was still the same generation truck with a few facelifts. I didn't want the exact same truck. However my F150 has been a pain with all the recalls and time spent in the shop.

utherjorge

Observer
So, I'm torn, because I reallllly like my GX, but as the miles rack up, how long can I keep it rolling? It's an early one without the air pump, and there's plenty of accessories for it.

I do plan on keeping it around as long as possible. I would like a new vehicle, maybe, like a Tundra or the new 4runner...but this is exactly the issue I fear.

1: never buy the first model year of a vehicle. Check.

2: never buy something built during the pandemic. Check.

3: be wary even of Toyotas because they themselves say they're allowing lower quality parts to be used "These days." Check.

All that said, pics of cabs in the air are fascinating and NOT reason to freak out, because there's no doubt that something showed up that was unexpected, and it's all hands on deck to solve it. Was the wastegate one of the parts where somebody held up their thumb and said "meh, good enough." I hope not.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Beta testers...
LOL, yup. Can't say Toyota is unique in having first (sometimes first couple of) model year issues. They do rolling improvements. Like beefing up Tacoma frames around motor mounts that liked to collapse. Or frames rotting. Or headgasket issues. Or air injection pumps that liked to disintegrate.

Red13

So, I'm torn, because I reallllly like my GX, but as the miles rack up, how long can I keep it rolling? It's an early one without the air pump, and there's plenty of accessories for it.

I do plan on keeping it around as long as possible. I would like a new vehicle, maybe, like a Tundra or the new 4runner...but this is exactly the issue I fear.

1: never buy the first model year of a vehicle. Check.

2: never buy something built during the pandemic. Check.

3: be wary even of Toyotas because they themselves say they're allowing lower quality parts to be used "These days." Check.

All that said, pics of cabs in the air are fascinating and NOT reason to freak out, because there's no doubt that something showed up that was unexpected, and it's all hands on deck to solve it. Was the wastegate one of the parts where somebody held up their thumb and said "meh, good enough." I hope not.

The wastegate issue seems to be anecdotal and not systemic. I follow all the 2022 tundra FB groups and forums and yes its happened but i've only seen one verified case with a lot to people posting and echoing the same case. I hope it's 1 or 2. So far so good for my truck.

tacollie

Glamper
He shared the same 4 pics that are on the FB groups and the Tundra forums. They are wastegate failures. FB makes it seem like it's all if them. It seems most trucks are fine though. There is always a risk to buying early production units. I know because I had a 05' Tacoma?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
A feature I forgot about that the Tundra had the the F150 didn't was leveling headlights for when a trailer is hooked up. Either manual or auto depending on trim.

Kind of a neat idea. As someone who tows, I would appreciate that.

And or course the roll down rear window in the Tundra. Still don't know why that hasn't been copied.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Even my 2016 SR has that. Didn't come with intermittent wipers though! Cost about $80 and 5 minutes to fix that...
Funny the things one vehicle has that the other omits. Loved the Tundra SR5 had a heated steering wheel that the Ford lacks.

But, the Ford has power pedals that the Tundra didn't etc, etc...

Both were nice trucks. Just the Ford seemed to offer more of what we would use in a truck.

rruff

Explorer
Manufacturers will often leave things off the low trim models to encourage you to upgrade. But it is odd that even the highest trims are lacking... must be patents?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles