(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
Tough to say. But my gut says Toyota *may* fair better? Crap shoot though. That's where I'm torn. I wish I liked the Tundra more so it would be an easier decision...

If you want to buy something now, a 2021 Tundra would be better I think. Toyota can't invest a lot of resources for Tundra design, and considering how complicated it is now, there will be bugs... especially in the time of covid shortages.

Some things I've seen that are not good about the design: smaller cabin, smaller bed, bigger turning radius, longer length (all in the hood), no way to step in the bed with the tailgate down, no tow hooks, worse payload, higher price, smaller tank. On the plus side I like the boxed frame and better MPG... but in the real world that will probably only be 10-15% better or $2-300 per year.

Grassland

I never even looked, what is the size of the tank on the new ones?
You would think the tow hook issue would be an easy fix as an update for a 2023. Hopefully aftermarket comes up with something, but I haven't seen one in person yet, if there is a way to tie/bolt into frame of you mod the bumper

utherjorge

Observer
I'm hearing rumors of a lot of them being in dealer for turbo and alternator issues...

Did you mean a Ford or the Tundra? If Tundra...say more. I have not heard this yet and I know couple of (Dare I say) honest Toyota dealers.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you want to buy something now, a 2021 Tundra would be better I think. Toyota can't invest a lot of resources for Tundra design, and considering how complicated it is now, there will be bugs... especially in the time of covid shortages.

Some things I've seen that are not good about the design: smaller cabin, smaller bed, bigger turning radius, longer length (all in the hood), no way to step in the bed with the tailgate down, no tow hooks, worse payload, higher price, smaller tank. On the plus side I like the boxed frame and better MPG... but in the real world that will probably only be 10-15% better or $2-300 per year.

Right. Forgot to mention the tailgate step. It's been very handy in my F150.

Also forgot the tow hook thing. It's all those little miniscule things that just keep adding up that are making me lean to the Ford.

The model I looked at had a 32 Gallon tank. So close enough to the F150 that it was a wash for me.

Not interested in a '21 Tundra. Or another 5.0L F150. Looking at TT V6's for more low end torque while towing our camper.

rruff

Explorer
Looking at TT V6's for more low end torque while towing our camper.

I guess it's always nice to have more. Do you want more torque because it will downshift less? Otherwise HP is what gets you over the hill. A friend said he felt his Tundra + camper was underpowered on hwy climbs in the mountains. I thought it was unlikely that he wouldn't be able to exceed the speed limit, so I asked why he thought that, and he replied that it seemed to rev too high. Revving doesn't hurt a thing though. It actually puts less stress on the engine than running at the same power and lower rpm... plus compared to the TT v6 it's 63% larger, so even less stress. I guess it sounds like it's laboring.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I guess it's always nice to have more. Do you want more torque because it will downshift less? Otherwise HP is what gets you over the hill. A friend said he felt his Tundra + camper was underpowered on hwy climbs in the mountains. I thought it was unlikely that he wouldn't be able to exceed the speed limit, so I asked why he thought that, and he replied that it seemed to rev too high. Revving doesn't hurt a thing though. It actually puts less stress on the engine than running at the same power and lower rpm... plus compared to the TT v6 it's 63% larger, so even less stress. I guess it sounds like it's laboring.
Yes, my truck will rev to 4,000 constantly. I know it's okay for the engine to rev. But, lower rpm means burning less gas which extends my range while towing...

Going from a 6 speed to a 10 speed transmission will help too.

I think most towing test I've read comparing an N/A V8 to ad TTV6, the V6 wins. I really am a V8 guy, but I think it's just more of a visceral thing.

For towing a travel trailer with the fam, less drama the better.

nickw

Adventurer
Well said, that is rarely understood, HP is everything...."feeling" something (mechanical sympathy) is good but engines don't have feelings and to your point, were designed to rev. I was always taught that lugging is really poor form and hard on an engine. Engine with more torque can help driveability and ease the driving experience (lower RPM, NVH, etc) but overall, HP to HP, the same work gets done.

nickw

Adventurer
Drove decent, fit and finish seemed good. Maybe if I drove a limited? Just figured the TRD O/R would be comparable to a 302a F150.

No USB's in back of Tundra.
Preferred flat floor in the rear of cab in the F150
Shifter felt better in Tundra (more solid shifts)
Tundra had a steering wheel heater.
Still felt I sat too low in Tundra (might have gotten used to it though?)
Didn't notice puddle lamps of box light
No adjustable pedals
Toyota app (that they will charge for) only has 1.6 stars out of 5 on App Store. Lots say issues pairing.

Not that I'm huge into screens, but the f150 offered a larger screen,
Had puddle lamps and light in the box.
Fit and finish seemed good too.
Adjustable pedals
4.5 stars out of 5 for Ford Pass app -Free so far. Not just a trial period
More room in back seat
USB and USB-C plus 12v power outlet for rear passengers.
Subtle but nice touch is cupholders are high up on rear doors.

Never drove a 3.5 Tundra or an Ecoboost before. Due to weather couldn't really get on it. Tough to really tell a difference between the two.

I'm sure they'd both be adequate for what I'd need.

hard to say. Ford just felt like I was getting more for my money. Buuuut.... my dilemma is how will these things hold up after a couple hundred thousand miles?

Tough to say. But my gut says Toyota *may* fair better? Crap shoot though. That's where I'm torn. I wish I liked the Tundra more so it would be an easier decision...

Flat rear floor is really really good, one of the biggest gripes I have with my Ram 2500 vs the F250's....

Toyota's have always had the low seating/high leg position, well my FJ40 didn't, but all the modern Toyota's from the 90's forward have felt that way to me....being taller, I really don't like it.

rruff

Explorer
While a flat floor is nice, I hate the trend towards a higher cab, and even taller hood. Even in my Tundra there is a ridiculous amount of empty space between the cab and bottom of the frame rails, and also under the bed. With a little rearranging they could move the cab and bed lower a good amount without effecting ground clearance... lower CG, easier to get into, better handling, better mpg, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne