(partially) new Tundra coming?

XJLI

Adventurer
Configurator went live in the US. Man.... that's A LOT of different packages. Would be so much easier if they went a la carte.

Toyota doesn't build a la carte. They predetermine the number of vehicles to be built with certain configs (colors, options, packages, etc) based on the previous years' take. When you "build" one, you're just getting an allotment.

Red13

I got a 12/9/21 build date for mine. Dealer had an Subsonic Red SR5 allocated so i put a deposit on it. I'm getting a stupid amount of money on my 2016 SR5 trade.

Switched over to an Army Green TRD off road instead.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I see the Canadian build and price went live too. Looks like different option groups for US / CDN trucks? The US build and price seems to offer a lot more options.

I can't even see where to add tow mirrors onto an SR5 in the Canadian site?

Am I missing something or does the Tundra only come with a 3:31 axle ratio and no option for any other?

bkg

Explorer
No options on the previous generation, so it would make sense. That was a 4.3 though... wonder what the spread of ratios is now?

what is the gearing of the new trans? Rear axle ratios can be a non issue if paired with the trans correctly.

rruff

Explorer
This is the old one with the 4.3 rear:

1st: 3.333
2nd: 1.960
3rd: 1.353
4th: 1.000
5th: .728
6th: .588

This is the new with 3.31: https://www.tundras.com/threads/gear-ratios-and-transmission-specs.23705/

ratio-worksheet-jpg.656473

So the new 1st gear relative to the old is 4.92/3.333 x 3.31/4.3 = 1.136. So 13.6% lower. Would be nice if it was more... don't need all those tall gears.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This is the old one with the 4.3 rear:

1st: 3.333
2nd: 1.960
3rd: 1.353
4th: 1.000
5th: .728
6th: .588

This is the new with 3.31: https://www.tundras.com/threads/gear-ratios-and-transmission-specs.23705/

ratio-worksheet-jpg.656473

So the new 1st gear relative to the old is 4.92/3.333 x 3.31/4.3 = 1.136. So 13.6% lower. Would be nice if it was more... don't need all those tall gears.
RPM's look good, should be good for MPG. Buuuut.... I tow with my trucks. I'm wondering if 3.31 will be sufficient enough to pull a trailer up up grades.

I have 3:73 gears now with my 6 spd and 5.0L V8. But was thinking if I stuck with Ford of going with a 3.5 Eco and 3.55....solely because of towing.

rruff

Explorer
Should be fine. It's a lower 1st gear than the old gen by 13.6%, plus the engine surely has more low rpm torque than the 5.7l. Once you are out of 1st gear, the gearing doesn't really matter... you've got 10 of them. For pulling a trailer up steep grades at speed, HP is what you are looking at. The turbos are nice at altitude.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Toyota makes a bold move by forcing people to pay for a subscription to use the keyfob remote start...

Huh. Well that makes me not want to look at a Tundra as an option....

I wonder if that would affect the functionality of a 3rd party remote starter is someone wants remote start without having to pay Toyota's fee every month for the duration of ownership.

Watt maker

Huh. Well that makes me not want to look at a Tundra as an option....

I wonder if that would affect the functionality of a 3rd party remote starter is someone wants remote start without having to pay Toyota's fee every month for the duration of ownership.

I also really dislike this subscription based function. I can see having to pay a monthly or yearly fee for an app based service, just like I do now with DroneMobile. It’s a convenience that I’m willing to pay for not only for remote start but I can double check if I locked the truck or not, and of course the security function of it- it can warn me that the doors or tailgate have been opened. The DroneMobile is connected to a top level Compustar alarm/remote start system that communicates with the tundra and vise versa. If I choose not to pay for DroneMobile service, I still have complete functionality of the Compustar alarm and remote start via the fobs. This is exactly how it should be on the new tundra and every other vehicle.

As for a third party remote starter, I definitely think it could be done but will depend if there’s enough demand for it. With 3 years included service on the new tundra, it may take a while before there’s enough demand for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles