(partially) new Tundra coming?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Oh and not only does my Expedition do all that it will massage my back side.
That sounds like some kind of soccer mom feature.

I liked my auto 4x4(NOT to be confused with AWD) feature in my old Chevy. I didn’t want to leave 4x4 on all the time and the auto 4x4 would activate at about the same time you realized 2wd was loosing traction. Faster than you could push the 4wd button.

skrypj

I assume they'll make a 2wd version which is typically where you get 'max' payloads out of trucks. I know the F150 has "up to" 3kish....single cab, 2wd, long bed....

Still though. I have seen XLT Crew cab 4x4 hd payload door stickers at or above 2500 lbs. ive even seen some crew cab 4x4 without hdpp above 2000. One was an XL with STX package that I looked at at a dealer.

The engine always comes on at 18 mph, the electric motor doesn't go off at 18 mph. In tow-haul the electric motor is always on.

"Although the electric motor does the bulk of the work at lower speeds, once above 18 mph, the gasoline engine is constantly in operation for excellent performance in the mid- and high-speed range. When in TOW/HAUL mode, the i-FORCE MAX system is constantly in operation to provide impressive acceleration and torque for towing needs. "

I dont believe it can stay constantly on unless its very low power. At peak torque the electric motor is producing something like 48 hp which is 35 kW. The battery is only 1.9 kWh so that thing would be drained in 3 minutes at max power assuming no efficiency loss and that they even let the battery fully drain.

My guess is that it can only realistically provide peak power for a minute or so. For them to have it constantly on during extended towing it would have to be at such a low power it would be meaningless. Ive seen my Ecoboost produce 200 hp just towing my travel trailer into a headwind on flat ground, so the motor could only run for maybe 12-13 min max even only contributing 10 hp.

Last edited:

skrypj

The fact that there is no generator option in the Hybrid makes it pretty unappealing to me. I don’t drive enough for the mpg’s to matter but I do tow a travel trailer and mostly boondock. Having the generator built into the truck would be awesome.

tacollie

Glamper
You guys are stuck in 1990. 4x4 systems today are way more complex than ON/OFF. They contain 100’s of lines of computer code that tie, throttle, brakes, wheel speed, Y/X axis motion, speed, temperature etc into a if this do that operation.
That's true because you have a Platinum. Those of us with XLTs are stuck in the 90s. It's a feature I care about as much as I do massage seats. Those are 2 things I'm guessing the new Tundra doesn't have as options. I'm pretty it's a different transfer case on Fords which means the dealer can't just program it to the truck.

Still though. I have seen XLT Crew cab 4x4 hd payload door stickers at or above 2500 lbs. ive even seen some crew cab 4x4 without hdpp above 2000. One was an XL with STX package that I looked at at a dealer.
I've heard about these high playload F150 on the internet. We were looking at super cab 6.5' bed trucks at a local dealer. The highest was 1800 on a XLT. 350lbs more than our Tundra but not enough to keep us from a 3/4 ton.

skrypj

That's true because you have a Platinum. Those of us with XLTs are stuck in the 90s. It's a feature I care about as much as I do massage seats. Those are 2 things I'm guessing the new Tundra doesn't have as options. I'm pretty it's a different transfer case on Fords which means the dealer can't just program it to the truck.

I've heard about these high playload F150 on the internet. We were looking at super cab 6.5' bed trucks at a local dealer. The highest was 1800 on a XLT. 350lbs more than our Tundra but not enough to keep us from a 3/4 ton.

Actually, you can just program the truck. Forscan can do it in about 5 minutes if you want to swap between 4Auto or regular 4x4 tcases. A few people have swapped the 4Auto tcases in.

Which engine were you looking at? An XLT will obviously be lower than an XL in terms of payload, but a 2021 XL is yesterday’s XLT. They are pretty nicely equipt.

tacollie

Glamper
Actually, you can just program the truck. Forscan can do it in about 5 minutes if you want to swap between 4Auto or regular 4x4 tcases. A few people have swapped the 4Auto tcases in.

Which engine were you looking at? An XLT will obviously be lower than an XL in terms of payload, but a 2021 XL is yesterday’s XLT. They are pretty nicely equipt.
I only looked at trucks with center consoles. Super cab trucks aren't common. Crew cab trucks are the new minivan?

My point 4auto was that it required a t-case swap. It's not important to me. I drove around all winter in 3wd because I had a blown hub?

phsycle

Adventurer
…Crew cab trucks are the new minivan?

Wo wo wo wo wo….. hold on there. I’ve got both. For minivan duties, no truck holds a candle to the almighty minivan. If it were more socially acceptable and if my wife would sign off on it, I’d have another Sienna as a daily driver. Neighbors, especially ones with kids, might look at me side-eyed, though ?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Correct. Different transfer case on Lariat and above.

Snow mode just reduces throttle input from a stop to help you get moving. (in 2HI or 4HI)

4WD still needs to manually be activated by turning the knob from 2HI to 4HI. Snow mode will not activate the front diff by moving this knob from 2H to 4H for you:

20180206_075513_7c5a439a65180cc282c20fdb09c4822db8f2e106.jpg

Something that I was hoping the Tundra could do for me by offering Auto 4x4.

That sounds like some kind of soccer mom feature.

I liked my auto 4x4(NOT to be confused with AWD) feature in my old Chevy. I didn’t want to leave 4x4 on all the time and the auto 4x4 would activate at about the same time you realized 2wd was loosing traction. Faster than you could push the 4wd button.
Bingo. Very handy for highway driving in the winter.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I always find one thing strange with Toyota pickups that is you can't get a rear locker in lower trims as an option.
You have to go to the higher trim to get it as a part of the trim such as TRD or TRD Pro.
I personally would like a lower trim truck, with a higher payload than TRD, and a rear locker as an option.
I know it easy to trash Ford, and maybe there is some truth to it, but you can get the FX4 package on XL models. while it is virtually imposable to get one on the SR or SR5.
A very basic F-150 can have a factory rear locker. I saw one in a hunting resort in south NJ.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

1600 lbs payload in an SR5 4x4 double cab “work truck”

Woof
Hmm. Yeah, that's not great. I was hoping for a little better. Guessing that means an SR5 crewmax would be worse?

Guess when the time comes, I'll just have to look at the door sticker on the actual truck I am interested in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles