(partially) new Tundra coming?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No... that's not what AWD means.

GM and others offer 2hi,4hi, AWD, 4lo from the factory. Just like Toyota did in some 3rd gen 4runners and some 1st gen Sequoias. They also offered AWD, 4HI, 4LO in v8-equip'd 4th gen 4runners.
Having had the AWD Sequoia I can 100% tell you that you had no AWD unless you were in 4high. My Landcruiser was AWD given it was full time 4high all the time.

GM offered a AWD button that basically turned on 4hi when traction issues were detected yep had a suburban with that. Basically GM let you choose to have 4x4 high turn on if you start spinning tires aka soccer mom switch that dad turned on every winter and turned off every spring. Again its just 4hi getting turned on.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don't care about it being called AWD vs 4X4. I was under the impression based on the literature provided by Ford that the Tremor came standard with the 4 auto feature. See below:

View attachment 684895

However Auto 4X4 is only on the leather / loaded Tremor.

Anyway, back to the new Tundra, haha

mehh all it is is a switch that says “if wheels spin, turn on 4hi” vs you saying oh snowy slick road conditions I’ll turn the mode knob to snow mode and go, which case all the Fords with snow mode and ability to power all 4 corners basically turns on 4hi.

Your getting caught up in marketing terminology vs actual vehicle mechanics and systems.
The Tremor had snow mode regardless of trim. You choose snow mode and go. Its like the 2020 version of the 1990’s AWD marketing term.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I will bet you Toyota has snow mode on the dash selections. Its the new marketing term for what 90’s people called AWD. ?
They probably have wet road mode too. And muddy, rocky, sand, maybe they’ll have driving on golf course mode too?? or driving while Canadian? The mode trend is a bit silly given modern systems can pretty much detect the traction challenges and apply the techniques contained in the vehicle code without the driver telling it. Selecting modes just makes it sound exciting and lets Auto makers charge more.

oh you wanted not sober mode? Yeah you need to buy the TRex model?

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Having had the AWD Sequoia I can 100% tell you that you had no AWD unless you were in 4high. My Landcruiser was AWD given it was full time 4high all the time.

GM offered a AWD button that basically turned on 4hi when traction issues were detected yep had a suburban with that. Basically GM let you choose to have 4x4 high turn on if you start spinning tires aka soccer mom switch that dad turned on every winter and turned off every spring. Again its just 4hi getting turned on.
I think AWD can be used a loosely but in the case of Landcruisers "AWD" is simply an open center differential, like the F&R diffs, when you put it in 4hi or 4low, that center diff locks and you have true "4wd".

It's the way most systems works, their are some nuances, some of those center diffs are electronic, some only send power when wheels slip, some are biased more to the front or rear....

I'd imagine the Sequoia is like the cruisers with a lockable center diff and had AWD as std, 4hi and 4low as selectable options...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I will bet you Toyota has snow mode on the dash selections. Its the new marketing term for what 90’s people called AWD. ?
They probably have wet road mode too. And muddy, rocky, sand, maybe they’ll have driving on golf course mode too??
The Tundra will not automatically activate 4Hi in 'snow mode' though. You have to manually put it in 4HI.

Yes, I've had autotrac in 2 Suburbans, 2 Tahoes, and 2 Sierra's. That is the feature I wish Toyota offered on the Tundra. Ram, GM and Ford offer this.

Having to keep fluctuating between 2HI & 4HI every couple minutes on my 70 mile commute in winter everyday gets annoying.

Call it a soccer mom switch if you like. I'm sure my wife and daughters will enjoy it as well if they need to drive the truck in crappy conditions.

I want to be able to leave in 4 Auto. The computer can for sure engage 4WD faster than I can when the tires detect slippage.

I don't have it now and can get by. However it will factor into deciding which truck to buy. Not saying the Tundra is off my list because of it. Just wish it was offered.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think AWD can be used a loosely but in the case of Landcruisers "AWD" is simply an open center differential, like the F&R diffs, when you put it in 4hi or 4low, that center diff locks and you have true "4wd".

It's the way most systems works, their are some nuances, some of those center diffs are electronic, some only send power when wheels slip, some are biased more to the front or rear....

I'd imagine the Sequoia is like the cruisers with a lockable center diff and had AWD as std, 4hi and 4low as selectable options...
Sequoia ran the tundra transfer case yes just 2wh, 4hi, 4lo
AWD in the owners manual simply explained you could drive up to 65mph in 4hi lol.
Yes like all Toyota s they both had a selectable center locker. Even the Highlanders get a selectable center locker.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Again you guys all think these modern 4x4’s with “terrain modes” are 1990’s trucks??

I can promise you snow mode in modern 4x4’s knows that traction conditions change in fact due to the modern 4x4 systems and braking systems not only looking for slick spots but it’s keeping you pointed in the desired direction.

This argument is like trying to tell my 100yr old grandmother the TV remote still changes the channels on the TV even though it can also control the lights in the room?‍♂️

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Again you guys all think these modern 4x4’s with “terrain modes” are 1990’s trucks??

I can promise you snow mode in modern 4x4’s knows that traction conditions change in fact due to the modern 4x4 systems and braking systems not only looking for slick spots but it’s keeping you pointed in the desired direction.

This argument is like trying to tell my 100yr old grandmother the TV remote still changes the channels on the TV even though it can also control the lights in the room?‍♂️
Can the 2022 Tundra switch in and out of 4WD on it's own with no driver input based on what drive mode is selected?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Can the 2022 Tundra switch in and out of 4WD on it's own with no driver input based on what drive mode is selected?
You guys are stuck in 1990. 4x4 systems today are way more complex than ON/OFF. They contain 100’s of lines of computer code that tie, throttle, brakes, wheel speed, Y/X axis motion, speed, temperature etc into a if this do that operation.

hell all of you make it automatic types can probably have the dealer setup weather controlled mode selection, meaning if its snowing and you get into your truck it already knows what mode to be in, what temperature you like, and possibly where your favorite coffee shop is. All you do is turn it on and point the conveyance in the general direction and it takes care of everything while subliminal messages say “This is Snow mode, please sit back and enjoy your ride. Oh and Alexa informed me you missed you doctors checkup??”

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

You guys are stuck in 1990. 4x4 systems today are way more complex than ON/OFF. They contain 100’s of lines of computer code that tie, throttle, brakes, wheel speed, Y/X axis motion, speed, temperature etc into a if this do that operation.

hell all of you make it automatic types can probably have the dealer setup weather controlled mode selection, meaning if its snowing and you get into your truck it already knows what mode to be in, what temperature you like, and possibly where your favorite coffee shop is. All you do is turn it on and point the conveyance in the general direction and it takes care of everything while subliminal messages say “This is Snow mode, please sit back and enjoy your ride. Oh and Alexa informed me you missed you doctors checkup??”

Still didn't answer my question.... Can all the 100's of complex codes you speak of turn 4WD on and off as it sees fit in crappy road conditions?

What Temp I like? Sure that's a great feature. Plenty of vehicles with remote start set your temp, turn on heated seats and defrosters. What's wrong with that? Doesn't your Expedition do that? I would hope the new Tundra would have that feature on higher trims.

I take it you don't spend a lot of time driving snow / ice covered roads? Plenty of people in these regions see the benefit of an auto 4WD feature or an AWD vehicle.

Reactions: bkg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Still didn't answer my question.... Can all the 100's of complex codes you speak of turn 4WD on and off as it sees fit in crappy road conditions?

What Temp I like? Sure that's a great feature. Plenty of vehicles with remote start set your temp, turn on heated seats and defrosters. What's wrong with that? Doesn't your Expedition do that? I would hope the new Tundra would have that feature on higher trims.

I take it you don't spend a lot of time driving snow / ice covered roads? Plenty of people in these regions see the benefit of an auto 4WD feature or an AWD vehicle.
Yes! Especially if you put it in “snow” mode

jmodz

Sequoia ran the tundra transfer case yes just 2wh, 4hi, 4lo
AWD in the owners manual simply explained you could drive up to 65mph in 4hi lol.
This isn’t totally accurate, at least for the 1st gen Sequoia. The 4hi without the center diff lock activated could be driven above 65mph and in the manual it states that you can use this mode for normal driving on all types of roads, from dry hard-surfaced roads to wet, icy or snow-covered roads.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This isn’t totally accurate, at least for the 1st gen Sequoia. The 4hi without the center diff lock activated could be driven above 65mph and in the manual it states that you can use this mode for normal driving on all types of roads, from dry hard-surfaced roads to wet, icy or snow-covered roads.
Aka AWD. Mine was a 07 had the HP bump needed 91 to avoid pinging on highway trips. Yes there was a speed restriction when in 4hi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles