(partially) new Tundra coming?

86scotty

Cynic
I have a legitimate question. Disclaimer, I'm neither a LC nut or hater. I owned a 100 series. I've had a bunch of bulletproof old Toyota cars and trucks, so I I'm bonafide and I feel this is a legitimate question among those here who love LC's.

How come the seats in my 130k Tundra (gray leather) still look brand new but the seats in EVERY late model LC I've ever seen (equipped with leather seats, which is most 100's) look like they've been through 5 or 6 nuclear wars. Every time I see this I think about that claimed 25 year service life for LC's.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a legitimate question. Disclaimer, I'm neither a LC nut or hater. I owned a 100 series. I've had a bunch of bulletproof old Toyota cars and trucks, so I I'm bonafide and I feel this is a legitimate question among those here who love LC's.

How come the seats in my 130k Tundra (gray leather) still look brand new but the seats in EVERY late model LC I've ever seen (equipped with leather seats, which is most 100's) look like they've been through 5 or 6 nuclear wars. Every time I see this I think about that claimed 25 year service life for LC's.
Because the LC had leather which isn’t as durable as plether?.

tacollie

Glamper

Tundra is a fluke. Toyota seats all wear like you LCs?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Out of all models and trims, among the crew cab models, which one is gonna have the best load carrying capacity?
I am sure it won't be Off-road Pro trim.

Grassland

As I'm not a Toyota guy, what's the reasoning behind north america in general not getting the same running gear etc as the rest of the world?
As well, why are certain vehicles not offered here, but are basically everywhere else?

phsycle

Adventurer
As I'm not a Toyota guy, what's the reasoning behind north america in general not getting the same running gear etc as the rest of the world?
As well, why are certain vehicles not offered here, but are basically everywhere else?

I believe it basically comes down to demand.

ie We had the Hilux here. As it’s designed to be a work truck, it rode too harsh for the general public and majority didn’t need its hefty payload. So we got the more comfortable lifestyle truck called the Tacoma.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As a former Yota guy watching to see what Toyota finally does about its ancient US vehicle line up..

Speeds!!!! And our market being its biggest market. Los Angels alone is bigger than 90% of all Toyota’s other markets they sell into.

It surprises most Americans when they are told that the US vehicles, travel farther, faster and often with heavier loads than most other vehicle markets. As such most of Toyota’s non American models would fail miserably under the “American” use. Failure being, performance at speed, crash worthy ness, etc.

Mileage has been a low priority for large vehicles in the US till just the last 10 yrs or so where competition have really improved capabilities, mileage and power on their larger vehicles. Something Toyota fell behind on in a big way in their “American” market truck vehicles.

The new Tundra won’t be ground breaking its following the “earlier adopters” more gears, turboed smaller displacement engines etc. Supply chain issues regarding parts and materials is going to impact all products. 10 yrs from now savy buyers of used stuff will likely avoid COVID model yrs due to the quality and parts issues. Thats going to be across many things boats, RVs, bikes, trucks, lawn mowers lol. You name it quality and inconsistent parts will have nearly everything in the 2020-2023-24 yrs on the avoid list for many savy shoppers.

Similar to the oil embargo yrs lots of junky stuff built during those yrs with supply chain issues.

Toyota won’t be any different. So unfortunately Toyota is making a big shift to new engines when it’s probably the worst possible time regarding quality control and parts availability to build vehicles.

Will be interesting to watch how this plays out. If Toyota had done this in 2018? I might be driving a Toyota still instead of a Ford. But honestly both our Fords have been awesome and Toyota needs to really get back in the game to get me back. Especially with all our Toyota dealer store fronts being owned by massive Auto Groups with ABSOLUTELY Horrific sales practices, monopolized low tech wages resulting in the worst service staff you can find. To top it off the massive Auto Group isn’t based in my region or state so my money doesn’t go to competitive pay to locals. All literally absolutely total garbage business to buy from them in my region today.

Instead I bought from a locally family owned Ford dealer with staff thats treated well and who like where they work. So lots of things Toyota has to overcome to get me back.

Grassland

There are less and less non Massive Auto Sales Chain dealerships in NA from what I can tell. Two or three family run dealerships I can think of disappeared in the last ten or twelve years here, bought up by corporate chains. I think that's a thing regardless of brand.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Interesting article:

3 things I noted.

Driving.ca estimates the truck will get 12 L/ 100 kms. (19 MPG) I hope it's better then that! My '15 F150 with a V8, 3:33's, 6 spd auto and knobby Duratracs is getting that...

They reasoned that it wasn't worth it to offer the on board generator as people wouldn't want to pay for the option. Why not at least give buyers the 'option' for that option?

Also, I can't imagine adding an AWD function to the transfer case would add that much weight and I'm guessing people in inclement climates (such as myself) would appreciate it.

Every other half ton truck offers it in at least the higher trim trucks.....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Even the Titan? The Tundra will always have modest sales volumes due to the truck buying demographic favoring the Big 3... they can't afford the same investment in options.
Well, every other half ton truck for sale.....in Canada.....

phsycle

Adventurer
Even the Titan? The Tundra will always have modest sales volumes due to the truck buying demographic favoring the Big 3... they can't afford the same investment in options.

I don’t think it’s an “affordability” issue. Toyota dominates the midsize market. Yet Tacoma/4Runner do not have any additional options than the Tundra.

It’s always been Toyota’s MO. Here are a few packages, take it or leave it. It’s the same throughout all models.

bkg

Explorer
I don’t think it’s an “affordability” issue. Toyota dominates the midsize market. Yet Tacoma/4Runner do not have any additional options than the Tundra.

It’s always been Toyota’s MO. Here are a few packages, take it or leave it. It’s the same throughout all models.

perhaps ironically, they did offer AWD options in 3rd gen 4runner's and some 1st gen Sequoias...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94