(partially) new Tundra coming?

dstock

Explorer
You guys should check out this video with the chief engineer from Toyota, super interesting stuff. Not only is is not a fully boxed frame, but they claim to have solved the "crap from the bed blowing in the cab issue" with some aerodynamic tweaks. I'm not a Toyota fan boy of any kind but I do appreciate good engineering. It's a long video but worth the time.

In regards to the half ton towing wars, almost nobody has a truck in real life configured for the max tow rating.
Like who is running out buying a regular cab Long box XL 2wd just to brag their truck can tow 12xxx lb?
Once you start getting above 10k, If you are towing that with any frequency, you should probably be considering something other than a half ton.
12k max towing is plenty for the Tundra.

As far as giant grilles for heat transfer, there are other ways, but increasing surface area is easy, and probably cheaper if that is the route taken.
Same reason high SEER AC and Heat Pumps are ridiculously large compared to lower SEER units, cheapest and easiest way to get better heat transfer. And if all the rage is giant grilles, Toyota kind of has an excuse to follow suit. Perhaps the focus committee poll giant grilles as a positive feature
I think the lowest in class payload is a bigger issue for this forum segment than the towing. That said, I'd be interested to drive both towing 8klbs (flatbed trailer + 4 seat SxS being a pretty common setup) and see how they feel doing so. A family of four towing that and going camping for a few days is going to be pushing near max payload and max towing in the new Tundra, while the F-150 has a 15+% buffer still. I've had a bunch of Toyotas and currently drive a '19 F-150 was hoping to see a better Tundra as I wanted to switch back in '23.

phsycle

Adventurer
I think the lowest in class payload is a bigger issue for this forum segment than the towing. That said, I'd be interested to drive both towing 8klbs (flatbed trailer + 4 seat SxS being a pretty common setup) and see how they feel doing so. A family of four towing that and going camping for a few days is going to be pushing near max payload and max towing in the new Tundra, while the F-150 has a 15+% buffer still. I've had a bunch of Toyotas and currently drive a '19 F-150 was hoping to see a better Tundra as I wanted to switch back in '23.

Yes, that set up is pretty common around here. Although a flatbed trailer (2k lb max??) and a 4 seat SxS shouldn’t be more than 5k lbs combined. Then what ever cargo you put in on top of that.

dole

Did they seriously release a "specs" page that only includes 3 basic things? What is the payload capacity, the largest lacking factor on the Tundra?

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Did they seriously release a "specs" page that only includes 3 basic things? What is the payload capacity, the largest lacking factor on the Tundra?
max payload is 1950 but your only gonna get that on a 2WD double cab long bed without the hybrid.

phsycle

Adventurer
The article on here shows the door jamb sticker for a TRD Pro at 1,455lbs. Improved from before but was hoping for better.

1632232377437.jpeg

rruff

Explorer
I want to say about mid way through, they called it a tri-design, combination of boxed, c-channel and sub frame I believe?

In that case it sounds about the same as the current design which is called "triple tech", boxed, closed C and open C.

I don't have a problem with the current frame design except for one thing... it makes mounting a camper to the frame more difficult.

rruff

Explorer
The article on here shows the door jamb sticker for a TRD Pro at 1,455lbs. Improved from before but was hoping for better.\
I think that is pretty decent for a fairly loaded 4x4 with upgraded suspension and the hybrid engine. It's on par or better than the competition.

" The Silverado ZR2 earns a maximum payload rating of 1,440 pounds, just beating the TRX by 36 pounds and the Raptor by 240 pounds."

tacollie

Glamper
The payload really isn't that bad for half ton. Sure there are some f-150s that have higher payload. But the majority of them aren't that much higher especially if you don't want a super long wheelbase. They'll probably be trucks that aren't TRD pro around 1600.

You can get a Tundra with a factory 3-in lift. Throw a Gofast camper on it and be set. The biggest downside is a TRD pro starts at $65k. At that price I would just get a power wagon.

phsycle

Adventurer
I think that is pretty decent for a fairly loaded 4x4 with upgraded suspension and the hybrid engine. It's on par or better than the competition.

" The Silverado ZR2 earns a maximum payload rating of 1,440 pounds, just beating the TRX by 36 pounds and the Raptor by 240 pounds."

Like I said, it’s better than before. But I was hoping it’d be closer to 2k lbs. Although if you did that, I wonder how much crap the overloaders will bolt to their rigs? ?

4D89B13C00000578-0-image-a-4_1529706346433.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Agreed. For a loaded off road oriented truck, I think it's on par. I'm guessing a mid load truck (non TRD Pro) might have a few hundred lbs more payload?

So it would be pretty equivalent to other 1/2 tons I think.

dstock

Explorer
Honestly, the whole go fast suspension just doesn't suit my style of off-roading. The Pro, Raptor, TRX/Power Wagon or even the Gladiator Mojave seem counter intuitive to overlanding with the reduction of payload. It's just not worth the extra cost of the packages to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
So it would be pretty equivalent to other 1/2 tons I think.

Just remembered that although Ram and GM list max payloads ~300 lbs higher, they also have single cab and smaller/weaker engine options, while Tundras do not. So with an equivalent spec they are probably quite close. You *can* get an F150 with a significantly higher payload though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles