(partially) new Tundra coming?

ChasingOurTrunks

It's no worse than the old Tundra. Looks like Ram and GM are ~300 lbs higher on max payload... F150 goes over 3,000 lbs with the HDPP. I'd guess over 90% of people with a decked out and loaded (people and stuff) 1/2 ton overlanding rig are over the sticker weight... and that is without a regular camper.

Totally agree with you. I just sold my full sized truck (Chevy) because it wasn't different enough from my mid-sized in terms of capacity, especially when you consider the payload difference is often in the low hundreds of pounds but the weight of the actual vehicles can be over a thousand pounds more; therefore you are dealing with a bulky, heavy 4x4 with only a scant improvement in carry capacity. The only differentiator in the segment is the F150 you mentioned where there is that significant upgraded payload package. I was hoping for something similar with the Tundra to really carve out a piece in this space and give us more options in full sized, non-HD trucks that can carry stuff.

ChasingOurTrunks

I assume they'll make a 2wd version which is typically where you get 'max' payloads out of trucks. I know the F150 has "up to" 3kish....single cab, 2wd, long bed....

My understanding was the F-150 was a package, akin to a tow package, so you could add it to various other trims of F-150 (including 4x4s) -- I might be mistaken though. Otherwise though I think you are absolutely right -- the "up to" is usually the most bare-bones version of the vehicle that's available.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My understanding was the F-150 was a package, akin to a tow package, so you could add it to various other trims of F-150 (including 4x4s) -- I might be mistaken though. Otherwise though I think you are absolutely right -- the "up to" is usually the most bare-bones version of the vehicle that's available.
Highest trim the payload package can be added to is XLT 301a. Needs to be ordered with either a 6.5 or 8' box. N/A on RCSB. N/A on PowerBoost equipped trucks.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Generally, I liked it! Not sure about the payload numbers if true.

p.s. what is a half tone crew cub 4wd truck with the highest payload in the market these days?

nickw

Adventurer
Generally, I liked it! Not sure about the payload numbers if true.

p.s. what is a half tone crew cub 4wd truck with the highest payload in the market these days?
I had one on order for several months but it kept being delayed (for months) so decided to go a different direction....it's a F150 w/HDPP, crew cab, 6.5' bed....it's a unicorn and generally is a custom order. Payload, depending on specific options, is ~2300, which as much as some heavily optioned diesel 3/4t rigs.

Some heavily optioned std. F150's are less than 1200 lbs.

D

Deleted member 9101

because it has 4 doors, a bed an a v6? that's a heck of a stretch

Twin turbos on a V6
Fully boxed frame
Aluminum body panels
10 speed transmission

Pretty much copied the things that makes the F150 successful...lol.

What's hilarious is they are all things that the Toyota loyalist said we're unnecessary/overly complicated on a 1/2 ton truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

phsycle

Adventurer
Twin turbos on a V6
Fully boxed frame
Aluminum body panels
10 speed transmission

Pretty much copied the things that makes the F150 successful...lol.

More specifically 3.5L TT. Added a rear locker as well.

I didn’t know that they had aluminum panels. Guess I missed that.

One feature I wish the domestics would copy from the Tundra is that slide down rear window. Such a cool option.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Curious to see what the payload differences are between a comparably equipped hybrid and not hybrid.

I think trailer tow rating would be fine for what I'd tow. I think if I were getting to a 10,000 lb (loaded) trailer I'd be looking at an HD truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 5 generations old battery technology in the after thought passenger compartment location is just absolute trash coming from the company that brought us the Prius. My first thought major battery supply chain issues for Toyota’s future which doesn’t bode well for their EV designs.
The toss it in the passenger cabin under the rear seat solution has me thinking all the really good hybrid engineers left Toyota 9yrs ago for other companies investing in EV development. Toyota likely had JR Fiat 500 engineers tasked with battery design/location.
The rear suspension makes sense no surprise there. The downside will be bushing life on the various arms and typical pickup loading / over loading speeding up the demise of the bushings on the rear suspension. The boring simple F150, 1500 trucks will be lower cost to maintain in that regard. However that rear suspension setup was great in my LC and Sequoia regarding handling.

D

Deleted member 9101

One feature I wish the domestics would copy from the Tundra is that slide down rear window. Such a cool option.

I wouldn't mind that feature, but you either have to have a spotless clean bed or a tonneau cover. Anything in the bed will blow in the cab when you roll down the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Yep. I found that out with an Avalanche..... After I emptied apparently 'most' of the dirt I was hauling out of the back.... ?

That was a fun 2 hours cleaning it out....

"Been there, done that" back in the sliding rear window days...haha.

D

Deleted member 9101

More specifically 3.5L TT. Added a rear locker as well.

I didn’t know that they had aluminum panels. Guess I missed that.

IIRC the doors, hood, and bed sides are aluminum. The bed is some kind of composite with aluminum bracing and sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94