(partially) new Tundra coming?

ace944gs

Price and actual MPG missing from the announcements are red flags for me.

I have a f150 tremor at a dealer with a deposit holding it for me. Part of why I was slow playing actually picking it up was to wait for this announcement. I would have been willing to overlook the tonka truck design if the hybrid mpg details and price were clear winners...but the fact they're not part of the media release is a sign, IMO they're not competitive and enough to take the risk here.

The tremor is not apples to apples to what I was potentially hoping to cross shop for... but I didn't want to wait X months to get a tundra and risk these unknowns. Plus, the tremor is bada$$, and all the fun stuff is factory warranty...

Im personally disappointed... we've been a Toyota family for years (never trucks though), and was hoping to keep the trend going. Oh well, I get to see what American manufacturing and reliability is like...it's good, right?!? :)

phsycle

Adventurer
Some things I noticed:

-Fully boxed frame now.
-Still available in Double Cab+ 8.1ft bed.
-Crew Cab + 6.5 ft bed now available... guess they will have 3 frames.

Here is the crew with 6.5' bed:

2022-toyota-tundra-platinum-101-1631806982.jpg

Glad to see them come out with a 6.5’ bed and crewmax. Funny it’s now a fully boxed frame. Wonder what some of those “C channel” apologists will say now? ?

Overall, I’m sure it’ll be a good truck, but I was hoping for a bit more with less ugly.

D

Deleted member 9101

Some things I noticed:

-Fully boxed frame now.
-Still available in Double Cab+ 8.1ft bed.
-Crew Cab + 6.5 ft bed now available... guess they will have 3 frames.

Here is the crew with 6.5' bed:

2022-toyota-tundra-platinum-101-1631806982.jpg

Lol... Fully boxed frames are sooo 2015...lol. Double cab and 8' bed seems kinda silly when your payload is under 2k...lol.

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine it has a modular frame like Ford. They just click 3 pieces together to get the combination they want. Makes production easier and makes frame repairs easier too.

D

Deleted member 9101

Glad to see them come out with a 6.5’ bed and crewmax. Funny it’s now a fully boxed frame. Wonder what some of those “C channel” apologists will say now? ?

Overall, I’m sure it’ll be a good truck, but I was hoping for a bit more with less ugly.

I love how 90% of the truck is a copy of the F150.... Gunna be some rough moments when the fan boys have to admit that Ford was right all along....hahahahaha

D

Deleted member 9101

The engine always comes on at 18 mph, the electric motor doesn't go off at 18 mph. In tow-haul the electric motor is always on.

"Although the electric motor does the bulk of the work at lower speeds, once above 18 mph, the gasoline engine is constantly in operation for excellent performance in the mid- and high-speed range. When in TOW/HAUL mode, the i-FORCE MAX system is constantly in operation to provide impressive acceleration and torque for towing needs. "

Then I stand corrected.

D

Deleted member 9101

Oh well, I get to see what American manufacturing and reliability is like...it's good, right?!? :)

My 2017 F150 has been flawless. I would be a little hesitant to buy a 2021 or 2022 (from any manufacturer) due to all of the supply chain problems.

tacollie

Glamper
Rear locker, boxed frame, cool rear suspension, and factory 3" lift are super cool. Payload and mpgs are better but not class leading. I could live with that stuff. It's ugly inside and out. Not my cup of tea. Makes me miss my 08'. We don't need a full back seat and I like the double cab Tundra. The Ford super cab makes so much noise off-road.

I agree 2021 and 2022 are going to be rough model years for any vehicle.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I like what I see. When the time comes I will look at this truck and the F150 again. Maybe I'll start a thread comparing the 2 and asking for everyone's insight.... :ROFLMAO:

I'll probably look at a Ram to. Once I've looked at and driven all 3 and can see what they offer for the dollar, then I'll make a decision.

onemanarmy

Explorer
So they didn't add front tow hooks (Or even just ONE).....I wonder what other cost cutting/lower dependability/dumb decisions were made when, you know, designing a new TRUCK. Toyota has been ******tting the bed for so long now. It almost like they are trying to outdo BMW on how far you can stray from your initial roots and legacy.

but its got a big screen! Just what every one wants these days! YEA!

phsycle

Adventurer
Not necessarily. Standard doesn't come out til Dec, hybrid next March. Probably hasn't been EPA tested yet.

Hope no one is holding their breath. It’s a 3.5L V6 mated to a 10-speed transmission. Big brick-like front grill, no improvement in weight (may be heavier than previous Gen).
At best it’ll be on-par with F150 but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s rated slightly less.

rruff

Explorer
It might be lighter... composite bed, boxed frame, and smaller engine. Doesn't have aluminum panels though...

On the highway, aerodynamics rules. Around town, weight is certainly a factor but the huge one that is often overlooked is the rolling resistance of the tires. The stock Bridgestones on mine were turds in this respect... beaten by much larger ATs even!

I don't expect it to be better than the 3.5L or hybrid Ford for MPG... but it will be an improvement on the old Tundra!

ChasingOurTrunks

Here's the rundown from Expo's Scott Brady:

I was really excited with all the shared technology and design from the Land Cruiser, but a 1455 lbs payload if you want the off-road goodies is super disappointing and rules it out for me. That's less than most mid-sized trucks, so as far as an "Overland Platform" goes, it's not only competing against Silverado/Sierra/F-150/Ram 1500, but it's also going toe-to-toe with the Ranger/Colorado/Gladiator/Frontier in this respect, and that latter category will be way better in technical terrain. There's only 280 lbs difference between the Full size Tundra and a Gladiator Rubicon in terms of carry capacity (I picked the Rubicon for illustration as it has a lot more off road goodies than the TRD-Pro, and is the most payload-challenged Gladiator out there).

My point is, if someone needs an Overland platform, and they could look at ALL of the above, why would they pick the Toyota Tundra apart from the reliability, which is far less of a factor in modern vehicles than it used to be?

It has "up to" 1940 lbs, but I'd be seriously curious how stripped down a model would be to hit that number.

rruff

Explorer
I was really excited with all the shared technology and design from the Land Cruiser, but a 1455 lbs payload if you want the off-road goodies is super disappointing and rules it out for me.

It's no worse than the old Tundra. Looks like Ram and GM are ~300 lbs higher on max payload... F150 goes over 3,000 lbs with the HDPP. I'd guess over 90% of people with a decked out and loaded (people and stuff) 1/2 ton overlanding rig are over the sticker weight... and that is without a regular camper.

nickw

Adventurer
Here's the rundown from Expo's Scott Brady:

I was really excited with all the shared technology and design from the Land Cruiser, but a 1455 lbs payload if you want the off-road goodies is super disappointing and rules it out for me. That's less than most mid-sized trucks, so as far as an "Overland Platform" goes, it's not only competing against Silverado/Sierra/F-150/Ram 1500, but it's also going toe-to-toe with the Ranger/Colorado/Gladiator/Frontier in this respect, and that latter category will be way better in technical terrain. There's only 280 lbs difference between the Full size Tundra and a Gladiator Rubicon in terms of carry capacity (I picked the Rubicon for illustration as it has a lot more off road goodies than the TRD-Pro, and is the most payload-challenged Gladiator out there).

My point is, if someone needs an Overland platform, and they could look at ALL of the above, why would they pick the Toyota Tundra apart from the reliability, which is far less of a factor in modern vehicles than it used to be?

It has "up to" 1940 lbs, but I'd be seriously curious how stripped down a model would be to hit that number.
I assume they'll make a 2wd version which is typically where you get 'max' payloads out of trucks. I know the F150 has "up to" 3kish....single cab, 2wd, long bed....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94