(partially) new Tundra coming?

86scotty

Cynic
Sure is. Wide mouthed bass. Reliability is king,but Toyota's full size styling could take some cues from the domestics especially Ram.

I agree. In my post above I was mostly comparing that ugly concept drawing to the awful 3/4 ton stuff coming from the domestics. The half tons are looking pretty good these days but I still think all vehicles are just getting fatter.

Dalko43

Explorer
The Yota fan boys have been saying "direct injection and twin turbos aren't reliable" for over a decade. Wonder if they'll change their tune since Toyota is now doing it?

Is find it kind of odd that the payload and tow ratings are so low. Wonder why they didn't try to compete with the domestics?

Toyota hasn't said much at all about the upcoming Tundra, or even admitted that one is forthcoming for next year. So speculative, click-baiting articles about what the next Tundra will be like aren't worth anything more than a casual glance.

Yota" fanboys are really just typical fanboys who can latch on to any brand that suits their fancy...people who truly follow and understand Toyota acknowledge that the company has plenty of experience with direction injection and turbo's (in North America and globally). There is no concern about 'reliability' but rather implementation -
  1. A turbo gasoline engine stuffed into a truck sounds great on paper, but realistically provides limited benefit for towing/hauling applications (at least in terms of fuel economy). There is a reason that the domestic's have yet to put a turbo gasoline into their 3/4 and 1 tons.
  2. Likewise, Toyota's first stab at a direction injection truck engine (the Tacoma's 3.5l Atkinson cycle v6) looks decent on paper but has lackluster performance on the road.
  3. Hybrids have seen some implementation in the truck world - can't really say that they've done all that well since their real-world mpg #'s appear to be only marginally different from their non-hyrbid peers.
If Toyota can make a turbo gasoline that doesn't gulp down fuel when under load or a direction injection hybrid that actually provides decent grunt and better fuel economy, I think Toyota consumers will gladly hand over their money...but those are big "if's."

I think it is far more plausible for Toyota to offer an updated v8 (perhaps direct + indirect injection) which is geared more towards torque delivery rather than mpg (something most Tundra owners are perfectly fine with). A hybrid or turbo gasoline is certainly possible, but far from certain (despite all the internet rumblings). Toyota has repeatedly stated that while fuel economy is important there is limited benefit to turbo gasoline engines in truck applications. Truck hybrids need to offer some tangible mpg advantage in order to justify their R&D costs. I think a turbodiesel is far more plausible given Toyota's recent patent applications and past experiences with that technology.

But all of those are based upon what "I think." What Toyota actually does is anyone's guess.

bkg

Explorer
there are other "pictures" out there... motori.com has on in gray. Looks very much like a Titan w/ a Chevy light/4runner grill.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess... will be interesting to see how it turns out. I have neighbor that may switch his plans to upgrade his Denali Duramax for a Tundra, if the payload/towing numbers work out.

D

Deleted member 9101

I couldn't agree more. Why the powers that be think we all want an 8 foot wall for a truck grill is beyond me. And to make the rest work you wind up with a 6' bed rail height that no one can lean over in to actually use the truck bed. Then we have to have all of these steps and ladders and crap. All this is before the obligatory 6" lift.

Look at the hideous domestic grills, especially the 3/4 tons. Toyota will do whatever the big 3 do because they think that's what all 'Muricans want. And we have all seen the rolling blasphemy they've done to Lexus designs.

Newer truck engines make a lot of heat. That requires a large radiator...which...needs a large grill. Atleast.. Thats my take on it.

rruff

Explorer
Truck hybrids need to offer some tangible mpg advantage in order to justify their R&D costs.

Speaking of... the Tundra being a low volume North America only vehicle, there is no way they are going to invest a lot in R&D. Toyota hasn't even done much with the Tacoma. Anything fancy and high tech is going to be shared with other vehicles, I think. Turbo diesel? Not likely. What else would they put it in? They could have been putting a Hilux diesel in the Tacoma all this time, but even that's too much trouble.

A turbo ~3.5l I could see, since they've had one in other vehicles for awhile, and the Tundra really needs a more modern engine. I wouldn't necessarily expect more engine options; there is only one currently. Probably more gears; but maybe not. New rear suspension like Ram? Maybe a hybrid a few years down the road.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
there are other "pictures" out there... motori.com has on in gray. Looks very much like a Titan w/ a Chevy light/4runner grill.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess... will be interesting to see how it turns out. I have neighbor that may switch his plans to upgrade his Denali Duramax for a Tundra, if the payload/towing numbers work out.
I think that front end was taken from a spy shot of a Tundra and plastered onto the front of a current gen Titan.

But, I suspect the front end treatment may be close to the production version.

tundra22.jpg

Something about that spy shot of the front end makes me think it's next gen 4Runner. The grill and vent below the headlights have a 4Runner feel to me. But, I could be wrong.

burlappcar-toyota-tundra-1.jpg
6b7255bcba4b5bf4326404b0bff617b4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94