(partially) new Tundra coming?

tacollie

Glamper
Well... it won't have a v8 according to rumors, and I'd give long odds that the payload will still suck. Payload and "commuter vehicle" don't go together. Plenty of people just beef up the suspension and tires and load them up, however.

V8 or some kind of V6 is fine. 12.5 mpgs in a truck rated for 1450lbs is my complaint. Mine has beefed up suspension to carry the loads. It handles fine for an overloaded half ton ?.

Dalko43

Explorer
Most Crew Cab Tundra's will come with 38 gallon tank.

I think only the F-150 offers a comparably-sized fuel tank.
The Tundra is also inherently heavier than most of the competition.

So yes 1200-1300lbs for a Crew Cab Tundra isn't what one would expect from a 1/2 ton, but the weight/payload comparison is not exactly apples-to-apples.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Most Crew Cab Tundra's will come with 38 gallon tank.

I think only the F-150 offers a comparably-sized fuel tank.
The Tundra is also inherently heavier than most of the competition.

So yes 1200-1300lbs for a Crew Cab Tundra isn't what one would expect from a 1/2 ton, but the weight/payload comparison is not exactly apples-to-apples.
Payload to payload is the only thing that matters. You don't get cool points for building a heavier truck.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Payload to payload is the only thing that matters. You don't get cool points for building a heavier truck.
Yep. Exactly. I still want to be able to carry crap. Hopefully the next one has more payload. I'm at 1,800 on my truck. Don't really want to lose payload on the next one. 3/4 ton is overkill for me 95% of the time. And no. I don't want a 3rd commuter car.

Dalko43

Explorer

I wasn't bringing up "cool points," though I know that a select few here like to argue about those like there is no tomorrow.

When you build a heavier truck (to include more fuel capacity, among other factors), you see a bigger hit to GVWR.

The extremely short bed of the Crew Cab almost makes the payload discussion a moot point anyhow. Double Cab Tundra's still have decent enough payload for what the 1/2 ton trucks are designed to do. The current Tundra's specs are more than adequate given how most 1/2 ton owners use (or rather don't use) their trucks. The next gen Tundra will likely see an improvement in those payload specs.

A lot of people pick the Tundra apart based on #'s and specs; recent sales trends would indicate that most Tundra buyers really aren't too concerned about those issues.

Everyone has their mind made up and no amount of discussion is going to change that.

D

Deleted member 9101

Evidently pointing out that the Tundra has a lower payload than an F150 or that it gets the second worse MPG of any 1/2 ton truck currently on the market is considered trolling and will get your post deleted.

D

Deleted member 9101

That's insane! I thought the Tundra got the worst milage in segment ?

Honestly I did too...haha.

I have a crew cab, 4wd, GMC 2500, 6.0 gasser as a work truck.... It gets better gas mileage than either of my 2wd Tundras ever did and it's literailly twice the truck....haha.

al_burpe

Observer
Evidently pointing out that the Tundra has a lower payload than an F150 or that it gets the second worse MPG of any 1/2 ton truck currently on the market is considered trolling and will get your post deleted.
Which truck got the worst mileage?

al_burpe

Observer
Honestly I did too...haha.

I have a crew cab, 4wd, GMC 2500, 6.0 gasser as a work truck.... It gets better gas mileage than either of my 2wd Tundras ever did and it's literailly twice the truck....haha.
How did your Tundras compare to trucks of the same year? My understanding is that while the domestic trucks have all updated and improved their mileage, the Toyota has done very little since 2008.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles