(partially) new Tundra coming?

D

Deleted member 9101

Hoping with the revamp, they’ll address that. V6 turbo should be a good upgrade. PHEV would be very ideal for me. EV range of 20-30miles would be more than adequate for an average daily mileage (although if we go back to the office, it’d be nice to have 50+).

Plus, having a generator for camp outs would be pretty sweet.

So basically copying Ford.... The Yota fan boys will love it! Hahahaha

The generator aspect is pretty neat and my next truck just might have one. It would be all kinds of handy for Hurricanes. It suxks having to constantly fill a generator and gas cans. It would be so much easier to just fill the truck up and then go home and plug the house into it. IIRC it had a couple of days run time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

phsycle

Adventurer
So basically copying Ford.... The Yota fan boys will love it! Hahahaha

The generator aspect is pretty neat and my next truck just might have one. It would be all kinds of handy for Hurricanes. It suxks having to constantly fill a generator and gas cans. It would be so much easier to just fill the truck up and then go home and plug the house into it. IIRC it had a couple of days run time.

The only thing missing on the Ford is the EV-only mode. My daily duties include very VERY short destinations, which is where I’d appreciate the EV mode. Especially during the cold winter months where it’s not the most ideal for gas/turbo motors.

Hope Toyota comes through with this, and hopefully not with a lot of strings attached. Hoping GM and FCA have something in the works as well. FCA has the Jeep 4xe thing going which I’m guessing would translate over to the pick ups fairly easy.

D

Deleted member 9101

The only thing missing on the Ford is the EV-only mode. My daily duties include very VERY short destinations, which is where I’d appreciate the EV mode. Especially during the cold winter months where it’s not the most ideal for gas/turbo motors.

Hope Toyota comes through with this, and hopefully not with a lot of strings attached. Hoping GM and FCA have something in the works as well. FCA has the Jeep 4xe thing going which I’m guessing would translate over to the pick ups fairly easy.

When we bought my wifes Fusion we wanted to get the plug in hybrid for that exact reason (the regular hybrid doesn't do EV only mode in the same way as the plug in). We ended up not getting it and going with the regular hybrid because of the lack of trunk space...lol.

GM and Dodge have both built hybrid trucks.... They were not very popular. Hopefully Fords version is more successful.

I'm really interested in the EV F150 with the range extender. For me that would be the best combination. 90% of my driving could easily be covered by a 250-300 mile EV and the other 10% the range extender would take care of.

D

Deleted member 9101

On plug in hybrids, does it track the electric only mileage separate from ICE mileage? I would imagine you would need that for knowing your service intervals.

Nope...not on the Fusion anyways. The electric componants have no maintaince and the ICE componants go something like 10k between oil changes.

bkg

Explorer
Artist's guess on the new model. The hood actually allows for slightly better visibility, bucking current trends. Do you think that will actually happen?

Everybody is saying the V8 is dead and only V6 turbos and hybrids will be available.

2022-toyota-tundra-rendered-with-evolutionary-design-hybrid-v6-expected-150040_1.jpg

Does a decent job of blending the current styling queues...

rruff

Explorer
Does a decent job of blending the current styling queues...

I like it. Besides having a lower hood the whole truck looks lower. Kinda hate how the trend has been towards gratuitous height in pickups that doesn't improve ground clearance at all.

But I doubt that will actually be the case when it's unveiled.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
While the Tundra never quite made it to the commercial/ agricultural/ small business segment as the big three did, It did capture the hearts of overland/outdoor crowd for reason.
It will be very disappointing if Toyota didn't address the needs of this segment. Toyota needs to bring all the offroad gadgets the Tacoma has got, + some improved mpg.

I wish Toyota made a van, based on the Tundra, with proper 4X4 system and good room so you could put a bed in it.
The van segment is increasing. It has reached the record levels and what the market is offering at the moment? not much. It's only overpriced Sprinter, with questionable reliability, and only affordable for Silicon Valley tech bros and the second is the Transit, with an awd capability of Ford Escape.
I wish Toyota jumped in and gave us something roomy yet compact and capable 4x4 yet comfortable. The tundra would be a great bases for such a van. That was Nissan did with the NV, which is an ugly vehicle ever but is based on the Titan.

I am no longer in the truck market as I moved into the vans, but I am still looking forward to seeing the Tundra. It's is the greatest truck era.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
While the Tundra never quite made it to the commercial/ agricultural/ small business segment as the big three did, It did capture the hearts of overland/outdoor crowd for reason.
It will be very disappointing if Toyota didn't address the needs of this segment. Toyota needs to bring all the offroad gadgets the Tacoma has got, + some improved mpg.

I wish Toyota made a van, based on the Tundra, with proper 4X4 system and good room so you could put a bed in it.
The van segment is increasing. It has reached the record levels and what the market is offering at the moment? not much. It's only overpriced Sprinter, with questionable reliability, and only affordable for Silicon Valley tech bros and the second is the Transit, with an awd capability of Ford Escape.
I wish Toyota jumped in and gave us something roomy yet compact and capable 4x4 yet comfortable. The tundra would be a great bases for such a van. That was Nissan did with the NV, which is an ugly vehicle ever but is based on the Titan.

I am no longer in the truck market as I moved into the vans, but I am still looking forward to seeing the Tundra. It's is the greatest truck era.
Hopefully they offer an optional locker on the next Tundra. I'd be very interested if they do offer a Hybrid / PHEV version.

The only other thing I'd like to see made available that the current truck doesn't (as far as I know) is a 4 auto function for the transfer case.

rruff

Explorer

1/2 ton trucks are poser male macho commuter vehicles primarily. It's a tough market to get into with a "foreign" vehicle. Tundras do fine offroad, but factory options in that vein are limited... just like so many other options you can get on a domestic brand, but not a Tundra. I think they always intended it as a fairly low volume full size for people who like Toyota reliability. I don't expect that to change.

Or anybody else for that matter! About zero chance that would happen, but I would have likely bought one. NV didn't even offer 4wd.

All the vans are made for delivery; low to the ground, tiny tires, suspension not good for offroad (stiff frame and poor articulation). An offroad van would be a very niche market.

Payload. I can live with a v8 that gets 15 mpg if it has decent payload. We are looking at replacing ours with a 3/4 ton for hauling the camper.

Well... it won't have a v8 according to rumors, and I'd give long odds that the payload will still suck. Payload and "commuter vehicle" don't go together. Plenty of people just beef up the suspension and tires and load them up, however.

phsycle

Adventurer
Payload. I can live with a v8 that gets 15 mpg if it has decent payload. We are looking at replacing ours with a 3/4 ton for hauling the camper.

I hope they’ll do better than the current measly 1200lbs in the Tundras (crew cab). Especially if they go hybrid, all those battery packs aren’t light. PHEV, 1,700+lb payload, in SR/SR5 trim, and it’d be hard for me to say no.

Offroad wise, I don’t care if it’s got a locker or not, honestly. Atrac worked extremely well in my old Tacoma. Sure, I’ll take it if it’s available, but it’s not a deal-killer for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles