(partially) new Tundra coming?

Clutch

<---Pass
If you have got dogs, which I will soon, I would rather have a pick up tuck. Especially for upland hunting.

Most of the guys using hunting dogs here flatbed their pickups, easier load crates, I would assume. Or will go full on crate body.

DSCF0006.JPG

Think I see more Toyota mini-trucks in the back country with this type of setup than any other. Couple weeks ago I was waaaay out in the back country and saw a guy with a Suzuki Side Kick I believe, with the top off and a couple of dog boxes in its' place...betcha he could get back in to some super gnarly spots with his setup.

0a3fbbf1109967389f6de1f70c5470a2.jpg

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
I wish they would make a 3/4 or 1 Ton Tundra.
I met an engineer that worked for Toyota and worked in a project around 2007 or so where they build a drw tundra with a hino Diesel engine. He said Toyota talked about building it for the us market, but there was a ton of emissions regulations and other issues it would have to meet which were difficult and they didn’t think they would see enough of them. Google it you can see the prototype... I would drive it.

Explorerinil

Observer
If you have got dogs, which I will soon, I would rather have a pick up tuck. Especially for upland hunting.
Yes! Years ago growing up we had Brittany spaniels for pheasant hunting and used an suv, not a good idea. When you get a wet dog with mud on them that’s been running ina field all day long you don’t want that on carpet... that smell doesn’t come out.

Wallygator

Adventurer
My post from the older topic.
It's more appropriate here

What I personally expect / wish in the Tunda 2020 is

- New 8 or 10 speed
- a new rear suspension (like Ram)
- Rear locker on all trims
- Fuel management system
- 120V outlets in the bed and in the cabin
- Full time awd, like the TLC200, as an option for people who care less about towing big stuff.
- May be a diesel too.

More suggestions and wishes accepted

-6' bed with the crewmax
-lockers
-lower price
-work truck trim

Wallygator

Adventurer
Ok I am going to place this here to stoke the fire a little. IF any of the Tundra news is true, could be another haymaker from Toyota coming.

Dalko43

Explorer
A lot of gossip about a hybrid Tundra. I just don't see why Toyota would go with a hybrid 1/2 ton before experimenting with that technology on a CUV or a smaller BOF SUV. Especially given that the Tundra is widely considered to be the most reliable 1/2 ton on the market, the risk seems too great.

More efficient v8 gasoline...definitely likely.
Diesel....maybe.
Hybrid....just doesn't seem like a move Toyota would make with one of its 4x4's.

Clutch

<---Pass
A lot of gossip about a hybrid Tundra. I just don't see why Toyota would go with a hybrid 1/2 ton before experimenting with that technology on a CUV or a smaller BOF SUV. Especially given that the Tundra is widely considered to be the most reliable 1/2 ton on the market, the risk seems too great.

More efficient v8 gasoline...definitely likely.
Diesel....maybe.
Hybrid....just doesn't seem like a move Toyota would make with one of its 4x4's.

The Rav4 and Highlander are available in Hybrid.

https://www.toyota.com/?srchid=sem:...n40kIteo_yn20pG5ThxoC7NkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plus Hino has a one in the medium duty line.

http://www.hino.com/hino-trucks-hino-195h.html

Makes a lot sense in a truck, especially with the current pissing match of the "Torque Wars"...can't beat an electric motor for torque.

Don't think I would be too worried about reliability, Prius can easily go 200K. Couple out there with over 500K on them.

https://artofgears.com/2016/02/23/this-second-generation-toyota-prius-has-close-to-600000-miles/

Last edited:

FullTankHank

Adventurer
I'd pass on a hybrid version, imo. These trucks already weigh a ton. I'm not sure on how it would be adding another 500-800lbs for the battery bank and associated systems. I'm all for a direct injection version of our 5.7 though, like the lx570.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Hybrid might be viable when capacitors are more powerful and cheaper. Batteries suck.

Hopefully it'll have a nicer frame, and dodge or Super Duty sized wheel wells. 35's stock, 37's with mild lift.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
I like the 35's stock idea. They wouldn't even need to make the wheel wells larger, if they would just do a minor redesign on the cab mount, since that's what everyone chops to clear 35's to 37's.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I am all in on thinking it will have a hybrid option. A twin turbo V6 hybrid and possibly a diesel. Time will tell but all the other brands are heading this way and given Toyotas ten year all new plan, I really believe they will bring the hybrid out this time. Toyota hybrids are proven to be very reliable and it shouldn't be any different in a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94