(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
Hmm... maybe they could offer it as a TRD accessory? haha

I wouldn't get your hopes up! The Tundra is an inherently low volume vehicle that carries a modest price tag, so they can't invest a lot in R&D or options. If they develop an engine like that for the luxury cars or LC, maybe it would be offered (for $$$). I think a hybrid is much more likely than a turbo V8... but even hybrids are still scarce in pickups.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I wouldn't get your hopes up! The Tundra is an inherently low volume vehicle that carries a modest price tag, so they can't invest a lot in R&D or options. If they develop an engine like that for the luxury cars or LC, maybe it would be offered (for $$$). I think a hybrid is much more likely than a turbo V8... but even hybrids are still scarce in pickups.
For now. I think we will start seeing more and more hybrids. Might even see a few PHEV in a few years. Who knows.

rruff

Explorer
Based on Toyota's recent design work, I suspect it will be angular, edgy, aggressive... and stupid looking...;)

This guy speculates that there might be an upscale "Trailhunter" version with a 4.0TT V8:

This one thinks there will definitely be a V8 because Toyota can't be the only fullsize without one:

I don't know. How many engines does Toyota offer now? Just one. And the variations between all the models are pretty minor. I don't see that expanding much for a vehicle with inherently limited sales potential. They can't afford the development $$$ that Ford can.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This is it allegedly:

Fingers crossed they truly made it a world beater like they said.
Beat me to it. I was just coming over here to put up a pic.
Screenshot 2021-06-18 084233.png
message-editor_1623993846053-message-editor_1623980654558-trdrear.jpeg

I'd like to see it in non TRD trim. A chrome bumper or a bumper without the black middle might tone down the aggressive look a little.

6BFF3ED5-EB7C-4787-BC2F-F8F432276F90.jpg

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
2 new engines, more powerful than the existing V8. In the Land Cruiser, Toyota's new V6 produces 409 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque, which is a pretty nice upgrade from the Tundra's current 5.7-liter V8, which offers 381 hp and 401 lb-ft. The other engine might be a higher output version of this 3.5L twin turbo... or maybe a hybrid? The LC also has a 10spd, so that will probably be in the Tundra.

Retains the short 5.5ft bed on that crewcab. The spy shots appeared to have a longer wheelbase and longer bed, so that might be an option this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles