(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
TRD only gets you tires and stickers?. Classic Toyota move

And apparently skid plates for 2021: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/trd-skid-plate.308524/

A very brief search indicates you can buy lift kits with upgraded shocks and springs as well.

IMG_0622-rev-600x450.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Man, I hate the styling on those Ravs... liked the old ones much better. And the stupid tall hood is now a thing even on small SUVs.

Makes me think the new Tundra is going to be really ugly...

Of course it's going to be ugly. Every new truck is ugly. I think there is one truck, ONE, in my opinion, that isn't hideous. That would be the latest half ton Ram. Just good lines everywhere. As usual the newest Chevy's are the worst looking things imaginable. The new 3/4 ton Chevy and Ford are even worse! Freakin' horrible looking. Toyota will do the same I'm sure. At least for Toyota they don't have the temptation of making a 3/4 ton truck to put a more stupid tall grill on and bed side height that no one but an NBA player can reach over the side in to.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Of course it's going to be ugly. Every new truck is ugly. I think there is one truck, ONE, in my opinion, that isn't hideous. That would be the latest half ton Ram. Just good lines everywhere. As usual the newest Chevy's are the worst looking things imaginable. The new 3/4 ton Chevy and Ford are even worse! Freakin' horrible looking. Toyota will do the same I'm sure. At least for Toyota they don't have the temptation of making a 3/4 ton truck to put a more stupid tall grill on and bed side height that no one but an NBA player can reach over the side in to.
The height on those is pretty stupid except it seems like everyone lifts them anyway lol. On the flip side they are more secure ha! Cant take what you can’t see or reach.
The fold into the floor 3rd row trend lifted the floor in all the midsized and full sized wagons so its pretty shocking to see how restrictive the rear hatches are compared to the old gen stuff with the pull it out 3rd rows. My 19 Expedition rear hatch opening is 1.5 inches taller than my Subaru Outback hatch. The Explorer and Highlander was actually slightly smaller!!! They raised the floor / rear hatch lift over height to match the 3rd row stowed height. So lift over height is like 6-9 inches higher and the hatch opening size is impacted.
Anyway other than that I really like the 10spd and the 3.5L mileage has been really nice and power is just obscene lol

Dalko43

Explorer

I'd rather have an ugly but functional truck than a good-looking but compromised one.

Ram trucks may have a win in terms of subjective looks, but the designers do all sorts of things that compromise the truck's utility. The main thing that comes to mind is that the body panels go well below the frame rails....most trucks don't do that, because, you know, you'd rather have your frame rails make contact with the ground before your rocker panels do. But Ram designers insisted that covering up the the frame rails from view was a better idea.

A lot of truck makers put all sorts of effort into fancy front bumpers...most of them are very compromised in terms of approach angle. Toyota trends toward simple yet functional (off-road friendly) bumpers. I'll bet that the next gen will focus the same way.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'd rather have an ugly but functional truck than a good-looking but compromised one.

Ram trucks may have a win in terms of subjective looks, but the designers do all sorts of things that compromise the truck's utility. The main thing that comes to mind is that the body panels go well below the frame rails....most trucks don't do that, because, you know, you'd rather have your frame rails make contact with the ground before your rocker panels do. But Ram designers insisted that covering up the the frame rails from view was a better idea.

A lot of truck makers put all sorts of effort into fancy front bumpers...most of them are very compromised in terms of approach angle. Toyota trends toward simple yet functional (off-road friendly) bumpers. I'll bet that the next gen will focus the same way.
Front clips are all about mileage today. Toyota will be no different given how lousy their mileage is.

86scotty

Cynic

I agree, I was just talking about looks. I'd never buy a Dodge. I've owned a few Jeeps and other than a Wrangler I'll never have another modern one. My wife's 2016 is already having problems we shouldn't have at 60k.

I am a fan of Toyotas I can afford (current is 2012) and I don't care so much about interior bling but that view isn't popular here on Expo these days. Gotta be a freakin' Tesla inside if anyone is going to haul a load of mulch nowadays.

My boring Toyota has needed two things and both were shocks.

rruff

Explorer

It isn't that I think the tall grill and hood that has become ubiquitous looks *bad*. The problem is that you can't see in front of the truck. I'm 6' tall... I don't know how short people manage... elevated seats I guess? Driving through technical spots offroad, you have to create a mental map of what the next 50-100ft are like and then project where to put your wheels, because you can't see anything. It's especially "fun" when cresting steep hills too... nothing but blue sky...

skrypj

Front clips are all about mileage today. Toyota will be no different given how lousy their mileage is.

I disagree. While the front clips help with MPG, the main reason for the air dam and tall vertical grilles is cooling. How are you supposed to cool 400+hp motors that can tow 12,13, or 14000 lb trailers?

Chevy even said the reason the Colorado ZR2 has a lower tow rating that the regular colorado was because of the front bumper causing a reduction in cooling capability.

rruff

Explorer
I disagree. While the front clips help with MPG, the main reason for the air dam and tall vertical grilles is cooling. How are you supposed to cool 400+hp motors that can tow 12,13, or 14000 lb trailers?

It's for style, not cooling.

u0uzc6sfhkoautdsebt2.jpg

Watt maker

Corvettes overheat like its their job. There was a massive debacle over the C7 overheating on the track.

The air dams are def not for style. Half the people on the F150 forum rip them off the second they get home.

A rutted dirt road took care of the air dam on my F150. On that truck, the air dam helps direct the air that enters the bumper through the intercooler and radiator so I purchased a like new used air dam and trimmed it so it wouldn’t hang down so low. I never scraped or broke it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles