(partially) new Tundra coming?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
This is interesting:

I wonder if the title should be changed as it sounds like an all new truck is coming?
LoL 2025,, it’s pretty bad when GM has you beat with stuff hitting the show room sooner and the hybrid thing was started by Toyota ?‍♂️. I’m pretty sure Toyota designers all left the building in 2005 and its just been the body shop guy adding filler to the fender presses the last 15 yrs ?

skrypj

LoL 2025,, it’s pretty bad when GM has you beat with stuff hitting the show room sooner and the hybrid thing was started by Toyota . I’m pretty sure Toyota designers all left the building in 2005 and its just been the body shop guy adding filler to the fender presses the last 15 yrs

Made a similar comment on the GXOR group yesterday.

The engineers in the Toyota truck division must have a lot of free time on their hands. Adding power seats to the Tacoma in 2020 didn’t exactly shake things up.

GA Native

With Toyota truck and SUV sales being so strong, I am not sure Toyota needs to make any massive overhauls. I have always liked Toyota's reluctance to rush into anything, and their emphasis on quality and reliability that comes with proven designs. Today's EVs and hybrids still have a ways to go and may be obsolete sooner than later with the development of hydrogen fuel cells and better battery technologies. The future is not always as certain as it may seem. I appreciate Toyota's conservative approach.

rruff

Explorer
Today's EVs and hybrids still have a ways to go and may be obsolete sooner than later with the development of hydrogen fuel cells and better battery technologies.

Better batteries and even hydrogen will make EVs and hybrids better, not obsolete... it's just improved fuel storage.

Hydrogen isn't doing well... think Toyota has wasted their R&D on that project. The big negative is poor energy efficiency in hydrogen generation, transport, and storage.

GA Native

Better batteries and even hydrogen will make EVs and hybrids better, not obsolete... it's just improved fuel storage.

Hydrogen isn't doing well... think Toyota has wasted their R&D on that project. The big negative is poor energy efficiency in hydrogen generation, transport, and storage.

I agree. The tech will get better. The EV technology just does not seem to be there yet for practical use let alone long distance travel and/or hauling substantial weight. It just seems there are too many unknowns at this point to justify the investment in infrastructure and industry. It will be an interesting transition.

rruff

Explorer
I agree. The tech will get better. The EV technology just does not seem to be there yet for practical use let alone long distance travel and/or hauling substantial weight.

For decades I've been advocating tiny EVs (500-1000 lb) with limited speed and range as city cars. That is their forte. The biggest hurdle is repurposing roads and infrastructure to make them convenient and safe next to the ubiquitous 5,000 lb+ US vehicle.

I'm not the least bit excited about EVs for long trips, or ExPo related stuff. I think ICEs will have that niche for a long time.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For decades I've been advocating tiny EVs (500-1000 lb) with limited speed and range as city cars. That is their forte. The biggest hurdle is repurposing roads and infrastructure to make them convenient and safe next to the ubiquitous 5,000 lb+ US vehicle.

I'm not the least bit excited about EVs for long trips, or ExPo related stuff. I think ICEs will have that niche for a long time.
This is where i think Hybrids would shine. Battery power for around town uses with the back up of a generator or engine for extended trips.

GA Native

I think you are right. I just do not see my Tacoma with skids, sliders, off road tires, shell, drawer system. and cargo as well as pulling a trailer getting far on the current EV systems. EVs for commuting and local transportation makes sense. As far as backcountry travel, I like the proven record of older technologies that are familiar and able to be worked on by myself and most mechanics.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Honda divested its entire Hydrogen business including its investments in the supply business. Which was interesting given Honda is the definition of boring cautions business decisions lol.

The ultimate solution will be fuels for specific uses where they work best. EV’s will no doubt be the local short range easy fix. Longer range light duty truck likely a hybrid solution. Tractors will dino burners for a long time in some form.
As said above the science makes it no mystery how much CO we have released into the atmosphere. Re capturing and storing it in biomass or some other method will become a priority in my kids generation. My generation still gets called to be apart of the lawsuits for manufacturing materials causing health issues caused by business practices and materials used by prior generations. My kids and their kids will only have one goal that matters. Save our tiny little life boat called Earth.

rruff

Explorer
This is where i think Hybrids would shine. Battery power for around town uses with the back up of a generator or engine for extended trips.

Maybe... although the parameters for the optimization of a city vehicle vs a long-trip vehicle are so different that it makes more sense to have two... IMO.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maybe... although the parameters for the optimization of a city vehicle vs a long-trip vehicle are so different that it makes more sense to have two... IMO.
I see your point from a usage standpoint. For me, economically it does not make sense to have two vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles