(partially) new Tundra coming?

rruff

Explorer
How did your Tundras compare to trucks of the same year? My understanding is that while the domestic trucks have all updated and improved their mileage, the Toyota has done very little since 2008.
AFAIK nothing has changed 2007 except for maybe "programming". I average >16 mpg though with big fat AT tires.

D

Deleted member 9101

How did your Tundras compare to trucks of the same year? My understanding is that while the domestic trucks have all updated and improved their mileage, the Toyota has done very little since 2008.

In case you missed it, I answered your question....and then it was deleted because it was considered "trolling."

Evidently facts that don't shine a positive light on the Tundra are not allowed here.

al_burpe

Observer
In case you missed it, I answered your question....and then it was deleted because it was considered "trolling."

Evidently facts that don't shine a positive light on the Tundra are not allowed here.
I did see it. I wasn't surprised that the 2015 Tundra was worse than the 2017 Ford, but it is very interesting that the 2002 was worse than the 97 Ford.

rruff

Explorer
Wow...three post deleted for pointing out the Tundras dismal fuel economy and backing it with first hand experience and commenting on it's low payload rating.
Evidently posting facts is considered "trolling."

Maybe the fact isn't the problem but the repetition. ;) :unsure:

According to Fuelly, the Tundra is in fact about ~2mpg lower than comparable domestics, and 4-5 mpg less than the 2.7l in your Ford. Surprised that motor isn't more popular, but I guess everyone thinks bigger is better...

D

Deleted member 9101

Maybe the fact isn't the problem but the repetition. ;) :unsure:

According to Fuelly, the Tundra is in fact about ~2mpg lower than comparable domestics, and 4-5 mpg less than the 2.7l in your Ford. Surprised that motor isn't more popular, but I guess everyone thinks bigger is better...

My Tundra got ~18 at 70 mph. My F150 gets ~24mpg at 70 mph. In town the F150 drops to ~20 mpg and the Tundra was ~12 mpg. Towing a 7k travel trailer the Tundra got about 2 mpg worse than the F150 and didn't have nowhere near the pulling power, especially once I started climbing in altitude.

I save about 1,000 a year on fuel, which is more than enough to pay the insurance for both of my vehicles...lol.

As for the "bigger is better" mantra, I think you nailed it.

rruff

Explorer
That's phenominal mileage for a 2nd gen.
I only got over 17 one time in my 2015. Averaged less than 14.

14 mpg is typical according to Fuelly. I am at high altitude which helps with air resistance; not sure if mpg is better too. And the fat ATs seem to have lower rolling resistance than the original tires, which was surprising... so at modest speeds and driving around town it does ok. Probably helps that I drive like an old lady... :LOL:.

My Tundra got ~18 at 70 mph. My F150 gets ~24mpg at 70 mph. In town the F150 drops to ~20 mpg and the Tundra was ~12 mpg.

Driving around town I typically get 15-16mpg... but at 75 on the freeway it isn't much better! I've never gotten >18 mpg for long at that speed unless there was a tailwind, downhill, etc.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My Tundra got ~18 at 70 mph. My F150 gets ~24mpg at 70 mph. In town the F150 drops to ~20 mpg and the Tundra was ~12 mpg. Towing a 7k travel trailer the Tundra got about 2 mpg worse than the F150 and didn't have nowhere near the pulling power, especially once I started climbing in altitude.

I save about 1,000 a year on fuel, which is more than enough to pay the insurance for both of my vehicles...lol.

As for the "bigger is better" mantra, I think you nailed it.
Stop trolling already..... lol

All trucks are equal in every possible way........ Did I get that right?

PerkyForkedIcefish-max-1mb.gif

tacollie

Glamper
With 33" ats and FWC ours is getting 12.5 but I have a heavy foot. I've had the camper off for 3 months while we were doing house projects. Ive been getting 13mpg half highway and half in city. All 3 of my 2nd gen Tacomas didn't do much better.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
This thread is now being watched by admins. Stop the trolling commentary or the thread will be locked. Sorry guys!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles