Parking brake on Tacomas

erin

Explorer
After this weekend, I started to notice that my parking brake was not biting very well, no matter how hard I set it. Granted, some of the hills I had to stop on were pretty steep, but quite a few were not, and the truck still wanted to creep rearward. Have any of you with 2004 or older trucks experienced this at all? I realize I can't expect it to hold at all inclines, but I really feel it should hold better then it has been.

By the way, it was just adjusted about 5000 miles ago. I do use it everyday, but that is on flat ground 99% of the time.:smilies27

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The parking brake adjuster on my truck is sort of odd, but I can't say for sure if it's the same on the Tacoma (I assume it is). It adjusts only when you're backing up, so all the pulling on the handle while sitting still isn't going to help. What I do is find a gentle sloping spot, like in a parking lot or someone's driveway. Drive to the top like normal and let it roll back down slowly, pulling the parking brake handle. I do this a few times and I'm usually able to get it to adjust enough to have solid engagement at about 5 or 6 clicks. But you also have to make sure the shoes are thick enough and that the adjusters themselves are not frozen or rusted solid. When I first bought my truck, they probably hadn't been adjusted since the previous brake job and were solid hunks of metal, fused into one.

erin

Explorer
Yeah, I heard the same thing when I had my 89 toyota pu. but the only real way I ever got more handle tension, was to adjust the tensioner on the back of each drum. I haven't looked at this truck yet to see if they still adjust the same way. Even after the last time I had it adjusted at the dealer, it only lasts so long and then the same thing again. I have always wondered if it was due to the fact that there is so much cable involved that it just keeps stretching. I have though about the AllPro disc brake conversion mounted on the drive line out put, but have not found any real feed back on this type of setup yet.

Seeker

Adventurer
It's been my experience that the Drum Brake e-brake mechanism (same as employed in the 95.5-04 taco) is virtually useless in reverse unless you make a herculean effort at pulling on the handle. I'm looking at changing my e-bake over to a disk attached to the drive shaft - which holds like glue. I can't even trust mine in my driveway.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Parking Brake Adjustments

DaveInDenver said:
It adjusts only when you're backing up, so all the pulling on the handle while sitting still isn't going to help. What I do is find a gentle sloping spot, like in a parking lot or someone's driveway. Drive to the top like normal and let it roll back down slowly, pulling the parking brake handle. I do this a few times and I'm usually able to get it to adjust enough to have solid engagement at about 5 or 6 clicks.

I too have used this adjustment method once and it was successful at adjusting the parking brake. The only word of caution I would add is that if you use this method, you may over adjust your rear brakes. When I used this method, I got real solid engagement between 8 to 12 clicks but the first time it rained and I hit the brakes going down a slight hill I nearly lost control of the truck as the back end locked up and started swinging around. :eek: Afterwards I did some controlled testing and found that my rear brakes we locking up too early so I had to manually back the off. Just a word of caution.

Cheers :beer:,
P

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
erin said:
...I have though about the AllPro disc brake conversion mounted on the drive line out put, but have not found any real feed back on this type of setup yet.

I've got one on the beater.

IMO the stock unit is better, but was not an option since I've got the pinion rotated up at a 15+ degree angle, and am using a thick leaf pack.

It works fine - as long as you never leave the brake on. I've set the brake in crawlin' situations and forgotten it was on, and with 109:1 gearing, not even noticed it was set. The pads are very soft and wear out extremely fast if you drive with the brake set. Replacement pads are not available, you have to buy the entire caliper unit at a cost of $89.00.

erin

Explorer
Thanks crawler, so what you are saying is that the Allpro unit holds well, but not that well? I would think it would hold better, but maybe I'm not looking at it correctly. I would just like a better piece of mind when having to park on hills and it barely feels like it is holding, then running around looking for a sizeable rock to jam under a tire!!!:eek:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The only big advantage of the t'case brake is if you're in 4x4 and locked both axles - all four tires are holding at that point.

They also need frequent adjustment since the pads float in the caliper and make slight contact with the disk. I've used two sets of calipers since installing the unit in 2003, but the truck has only got about 10,000 miles on it since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier