Papa's Off-road Trailer Project

FN4PAPA

HI all.. well after lurking here awhile and learning as much as I can, I have taken the plunge and have started my trailer build project. I am hoping to get a lot of feed back from you all and appreciate the Good, The Bad and The Ugly :cool: . Not sure I can pull this off but have made some good progress in the first week, but I fear this is the easy part... I know the details are where it is difficult. But as they say you can eat an elephant one bite at a time... So stay tuned and watch it develop... it promises to be the most expensive portable toilet in the world !

I do have one question perhaps someone could help me with. I am planning to adhere composite panels to steel using VHB 3M tape. I was wondering if it is better to adhere to a primed and painted surface or to the cleaned metal before the frame gets painted. I am leaning towards primed and painted...Thanks for your thoughts on this...

Cheers

Attachments

• Pic_7.jpg
    Pic_7.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 123

jwiereng

I have pondered the same thing. Here is my though process - If coated with paint or primer, the vhb is really not sticking to the metal, the entire strength is dependent on the paint/primer sticking well. And I have seen paint peel off of metal. I would think that VHB to alum is best bare, but unsure about painted steel. I also wonder about VHB sticking to Hot Dip Galvanized steel.

I'll stay tuned because I am interested in the choices you make.

FN4PAPA

I have pondered the same thing. Here is my though process - If coated with paint or primer, the vhb is really not sticking to the metal, the entire strength is dependent on the paint/primer sticking well. And I have seen paint peel off of metal. I would think that VHB to alum is best bare, but unsure about painted steel. I also wonder about VHB sticking to Hot Dip Galvanized steel.

I'll stay tuned because I am interested in the choices you make.

Ya, I have seen paint peel off too.. think it is due to improper prep but it is a concern. But I am equally concerned that it might rust if place directly on the metal... hoping to get more input on this...

Cheers

john61ct

Adventurer
Hi John, The Suspension and the hitch were purchased from Cruisemaster. It is the same suspension used on the Patriot Trailers. Not cheap but quite robust.
So this, Aussie line?

"This system is not available outside of the Patriot Campers range of products"

FN4PAPA

So this, Aussie line?

"This system is not available outside of the Patriot Campers range of products"
Yes, except those are the airbag version, I got the shock versions. I got it thru Sloop Imports in Steamboat Springs CO... about $3k and includes everything except the wheels...

FN4PAPA

3M must have a spec.... just do it.

Not sure if this is the spec but it took seconds to google it.

Yes, but should it be applied on clean metal or primed metal or primed and painted metal.. I have submitted the questions to 3M and will let everyone know what they say..

Cheers

FN4PAPA

Well, heard back from 3M finally, seems they recommend applying the tape directly to Metal. While I agree it eliminates any weakness from the paint bonding to the metal, without a primer it is going to rust and I would think that would weaken the bond as well. So I think I will apply an automotive primer but not the finish enamel.

"To answer your questions directly it is better to apply our VHB tapes to bare metals, as paints and primers can be harder to bond to for some of the tapes. Also a tape is only as strong as the coating and may require a tape primer if you are applying to painted surfaces, but you would need to do your own adhesion testing to be sure."

ITTOG

Well, heard back from 3M finally, seems they recommend applying the tape directly to Metal. While I agree it eliminates any weakness from the paint bonding to the metal, without a primer it is going to rust and I would think that would weaken the bond as well. So I think I will apply an automotive primer but not the finish enamel.

"To answer your questions directly it is better to apply our VHB tapes to bare metals, as paints and primers can be harder to bond to for some of the tapes. Also a tape is only as strong as the coating and may require a tape primer if you are applying to painted surfaces, but you would need to do your own adhesion testing to be sure."
I am running a test now with tape over paint. I am not ready to remove it yet so don't know if it is working. I plan to completely pull it apart to determine what the failure point is.

FN4PAPA

I am running a test now with tape over paint. I am not ready to remove it yet so don't know if it is working. I plan to completely pull it apart to determine what the failure point is.

GREAT... let me know what you find out... I am thinking it is going to be good enough sticking to well applied paint. But I will be anxious to hear what you find out..

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles