Palomino Rogue

Huntv

Also waiting for some reports. I may pick one of these up soon, but am hesitant because of past quality issues with the Palominos. I see a lot of the Palomino Backpacks running around here in the PNW with happy owners, so I assume they have improved over the years.

cndoverland

I hate to be the guy to ask a stupid question but is there any way to mount these to the inside of the bed similar to FWC instead of the the outside?

No not really, FWC campers have a pass thru thru the body to get to the turn buckles mounted within the frame of your truck. Palominos do not have this feature, they are set up more like a traditional camper with frame side tie downs. We sell Palominos and people often ask if the can just use the truck bed tie downs or bolt it to the truck bed. In my opinion this is not recommended, most manufactures of trucks do not test full shear strength of a 1800 lbs camper bouncing in the truck box, and only being lashed to factory tie downs. expectantly considering aluminum truck beds and composite beds on tacomas and some chevys.

Frame mount tie downs in this application would be what i would recommend but honestly it comes down you your personal preference and risk that you would want to take. FWC campers are engineered to be bed mounted and palominos are engineered to be frame mounted.

On a side note we sell a lot of palominos up here on Vancouver island bc, they are a decent camper for the price. The power lift jacks for the roof were moved to outside the camper in 2020 this really helps with maintenance. If for any reason you have a jack fail or run out of power you can use a 10mm and lower the jacks down. ( lol if you ca find your 10mm haha)

We have seen a few fridges fail in 2019 models which were replaced under warranty, dometic had a control panel issue which was rectified. Most other issues have been small things like trim popping off from bumping into trees or vents being cracked from forgetting to put them down. Honestly these are very simple in design and with that they are simple to fix, you also don't have to wait for 6 months for part due to a small production line. Palomino is a huge brand with forest river backing and with that comes a real parts supply.

The ea1 and ea2 are awesome if your shorter as the bed is limited for tall people ( I'm 6'5 I'm too tall for most things) they have lots of standing room though. I like the v shape when its lifted, the windows are huge and it lets in so much light which in a camper is rare. With the roof on a angle you can park towards the sun and keep cool but also charge the solar which is a great feature.

1600 are great for news ford rangers, they will fit on tacos if you have the correct GVW a trd pro is under 1000 lbs in most cases so be careful there air bags are a must on a tacoma or upgraded constant load springs. We have fit 1600's on 1500, f150's, chev 1500s with adapter plates for the tie downs as the 1600 is narrower then must full size truck boxes.

1604's are our biggest seller we have these on 1500 to 3500s and its easily the most popular model.

Anyways i don't want this to seam like a sales pitch

If you have any tech questions about these campers i can find out the answers. If i see issues i will post them, we hate seeing issues as it costs us money and time so no issue blasting out problems when the arise.

Really company's want feedback as that's how they improve there products..... at least i hope they do.

jadmt

ignore button user
No not really, FWC campers have a pass thru thru the body to get to the turn buckles mounted within the frame of your truck. Palominos do not have this feature, they are set up more like a traditional camper with frame side tie downs. We sell Palominos and people often ask if the can just use the truck bed tie downs or bolt it to the truck bed. In my opinion this is not recommended, most manufactures of trucks do not test full shear strength of a 1800 lbs camper bouncing in the truck box, and only being lashed to factory tie downs. expectantly considering aluminum truck beds and composite beds on tacomas and some chevys.

Frame mount tie downs in this application would be what i would recommend but honestly it comes down you your personal preference and risk that you would want to take. FWC campers are engineered to be bed mounted and palominos are engineered to be frame mounted.

On a side note we sell a lot of palominos up here on Vancouver island bc, they are a decent camper for the price. The power lift jacks for the roof were moved to outside the camper in 2020 this really helps with maintenance. If for any reason you have a jack fail or run out of power you can use a 10mm and lower the jacks down. ( lol if you ca find your 10mm haha)

We have seen a few fridges fail in 2019 models which were replaced under warranty, dometic had a control panel issue which was rectified. Most other issues have been small things like trim popping off from bumping into trees or vents being cracked from forgetting to put them down. Honestly these are very simple in design and with that they are simple to fix, you also don't have to wait for 6 months for part due to a small production line. Palomino is a huge brand with forest river backing and with that comes a real parts supply.

The ea1 and ea2 are awesome if your shorter as the bed is limited for tall people ( I'm 6'5 I'm too tall for most things) they have lots of standing room though. I like the v shape when its lifted, the windows are huge and it lets in so much light which in a camper is rare. With the roof on a angle you can park towards the sun and keep cool but also charge the solar which is a great feature.

1600 are great for news ford rangers, they will fit on tacos if you have the correct GVW a trd pro is under 1000 lbs in most cases so be careful there air bags are a must on a tacoma or upgraded constant load springs. We have fit 1600's on 1500, f150's, chev 1500s with adapter plates for the tie downs as the 1600 is narrower then must full size truck boxes.

1604's are our biggest seller we have these on 1500 to 3500s and its easily the most popular model.

Anyways i don't want this to seam like a sales pitch

If you have any tech questions about these campers i can find out the answers. If i see issues i will post them, we hate seeing issues as it costs us money and time so no issue blasting out problems when the arise.

Really company's want feedback as that's how they improve there products..... at least i hope they do.
have you put any on a newer power wagon yet? my payload is 1565 but I know I can add air bags so not terribly concerned with the weight but not sure how the tie downs would be.

cndoverland

have you put any on a newer power wagon yet? my payload is 1565 but I know I can add air bags so not terribly concerned with the weight but not sure how the tie downs would be.

Not on a PW but i did mount one on a 2500 dodge with the tradesmen package, similar payload. He also tows a aluminum boat so he has air bags but it does sit nicely. RAMS have a taller cab height over the bed so you do need to have some 2x4's under the camper to clear.

bhunter71

Not on a PW but i did mount one on a 2500 dodge with the tradesmen package, similar payload. He also tows a aluminum boat so he has air bags but it does sit nicely. RAMS have a taller cab height over the bed so you do need to have some 2x4's under the camper to clear.

Put one on a Power Wagon last week. Installed air bags right away. truck.jpg

bhunter71

how does it handle? what type of tie downs are you using and did you have to put 2x4's on the bed to lift it to clear the cab? What does the weight decal on the camper say actual weight it is? you got me all excited
It handled like crap until I put airbags on. I just put on the Firestone ride rite bags and Happijac tiedowns. Handles much better now although I haven't had it off road yet. I did not need 2x4's to clear the cab. I think the decal says 1390 ish.

jadmt

ignore button user
I'm not understanding the difference between the EA1 and the EB1? Is it just the color?
I have went back and forth on the their website and I can not see a difference other than color.

lbene

If anyone is interested; here's a review of the Rogue EB-1 and a couple mods. Have had it for a few weeks and am pretty happy with it. I'm a newbie to truck campers but am glad I went for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior