Pajero/Montero NL Blister Fender gen 2.5 Shock Absorber discussion

Hi all,

So like many of my threads, I would like to open up a discussion for a topic I have struggled to find definitive answers for online, and in other threads.

I have a 1999/2000 NL Pajero 2.8TD LWB (gen 2.5 blister) and am looking to upgrade/replace my current tired shock absorbers.
I have Nissan Patrol Springs in the rear 3"/75mm lift, and Ironman HD Torsion Bars front wound up around 40mm+-.

As many of us know, and for those that don't, front suspension travel on the IFS Pajero/Montero gen 2 is extremely limited and bound by the bump stops. Very difficult to safely gain more travel here without serious modifications.

With this is mind, my focus is to increase the articulation and travel of the rear axle/suspension. The limiting factor for rear suspension travel on our Gen2's/2.5's is the shock absorber and brake lines.
From my research and understanding, even 2" lift specified longer travel shocks in the rear, i.e most pajero lift kit shocks, still leave room for more travel if an even longer shock was used.

For the front I am planning to use standard length: 345mm (13.6") Max Length - 225mm (8.9') min/compressed Length - 120mm (4.7") stroke shock absorbers, as extra length won't matter because of our limited travel. geometry and bump stops.
Very likely Bilstein 4600 series monotubes (maybe even KYB or Koni), or TJM/OME/Ironman etc twin tubes because of availability. (in South Africa where I am, options like Kings, Fox, etc are not readily available or affordable)

For the Rear I am looking to use longer length (longer Travel) shocks over the standard: 457mm (18") Max Length - 297mm (11.7") min/compressed Length - 160mm (6.3") stroke shock absorber.

From what I have seen, for instance Terrain Tamer shocks, shocks for a 40mm lifted pajero in the rear are: 478mm Max - 308mm Min.
31mm longer max length, 11mm min/compressed length.

Is it safe to assume the rear shock needs around 30mm more length per 40mm of lift to gain extra travel based on the above?

My questions is this:

What is a good length shock absorber for the rear of the Pajero to gain max articulation and travel, without binding, or the shock coming into contact with the chassis???
(having longer brake lines installed and the sway bar removed, bump stops made to suit and spring retainers).

I have seen various threads on other forums of Pajeros using Toyota Hilux, Toyota 4Runner or even Nissan Navara shocks for long travel rear shocks.
Does anywhere have info or experience with this? and if so, what year model/chassis model Hilux etc shocks work?

references:

I would really like to get some solid answers here and any help or advise would be super appreciated!
Thanks!

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Ironman HD Torsion Bars front wound up around 40mm+-.

As many of us know, and for those that don't, front suspension travel on the IFS Pajero/Montero gen 2 is extremely limited and bound by the bump stops. Very difficult to safely gain more travel here without serious modifications.

You can't gain more travel within the confines of the stock length control arms. If you have the ride height set +40mm you have trimmed the bump stops or are riding on them.

You can't gain more travel within the confines of the stock length control arms. If you have the ride height set +40mm you have trimmed the bump stops or are riding on them.
Hi,

Yes, correct.

I am specifically asking about the REAR.

What is a good length shock absorber for the rear of the Pajero to gain max articulation and travel, without binding, or the shock coming into contact with the chassis???
(having longer brake lines installed and the sway bar removed, bump stops made to suit and spring retainers).

plh

Explorer
I am specifically asking about the REAR.

What type of suspension downward extension travel limit stop are you using or planning to use?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You can get better shocks now but back in the day before we figured ogetut how to get properly valved longer shocks for a Montero we used these Bilsteins for a Ford. They're really under dampened for a Montero on the highway but they're really good off-road. Be sure to add coil retainers and/or limit straps because a coil will drop out.

These are Bilstein 5100

Screenshot_20220629-142232_Gallery.jpg

A better option would be a stud/eyelet 8" Fox 2.0 shocks valved for your truck or go with full custom mounts and towers so you can run any eyelet/eyelet shock.

You can get better shocks now but back in the day before we figured ogetut how to get properly valved longer shocks for a Montero we used these Bilsteins for a Ford. They're really under dampened for a Montero on the highway but they're really good off-road. Be sure to add coil retainers and/or limit straps because a coil will drop out.

These are Bilstein 5100

View attachment 729421

A better option would be a stud/eyelet 8" Fox 2.0 shocks valved for your truck or go with full custom mounts and towers so you can run any eyelet/eyelet shock.

Hi Toasty,

Thanks so much for your response here, I was hoping you would add your knowledge to this thread(y)(y)??.

A couple questions, things to confirm:

When I took specs on my current shocks, the stem is an M10 and the eyelet bolt is M16. Would the above mentioned shocks work here, I think the top can work with the 12mm, but the bottom would I need a new 16mm sleeve and bore out the bushing a bit?

Between the 2 above options, have you tried both and which seem better? Is the extra 1/2" travel of the 24-065283 worth it and necessary? Which of the two seems better valved for the Montero? When you mention that they are under damped for the road/highway, does it give a bouncy and uncomfortable ride, do they wear out early because of being under damped?

The above table you showed is quite zoomed in so can't see the headings to the values, is the 224/100 & 398/94 referring to the valving, the damping and rebound etc?

I found these before you replied from my own research: https://www.my4by.com/product/bilstein-33-187174 4Runner/FJ Cruiser Rear Bilstein 5100's - 23.5" Max Length 14.91" min compressed length 8.59" Travel/Stroke - eye 19.1mm
Any ideas if these would work? Maybe because they are meant for the rear of the FJ/4Runner the valving would be better suited to the Montero?

- So my thoughts were going this these 4600 Bilsteins which are Gen 2 specific and I have found locally in SA: https://www.my4by.com/product/bilstein-24-017947 (they say they accommodate 1"lift, but like mentioned that doesn't matter, travel is already limited and they are the same lengths and travel as oem)

- 5100's from your mentioned options in the rear (I think the Ford Ranger 24-185684 would be easier to find locally.

Toasty

The 12mm studs will work but the bottom you'll need to remove the sleeve and install a locknut so you don't have to over torque and crush the eyelet. Or replace the bushing and install a 16mm sleeve.

As for valving, stock is 463/269 on a non adjustable suspension Montero, the softest setting on the adjustable is 362/183 to give you an idea on that. Type in the part numbers you found and see what their valving is. If you go with a longer than 13" compressed length shock you may need to get bump stop spacers, I recall that specific shock was the tallest possible with the bumpstops coming in contact before the shock bottomed but i still recommend a spacer or taller bump especially if you haul heavy loads or drive fast.

The 12mm studs will work but the bottom you'll need to remove the sleeve and install a locknut so you don't have to over torque and crush the eyelet. Or replace the bushing and install a 16mm sleeve.

As for valving, stock is 463/269 on a non adjustable suspension Montero, the softest setting on the adjustable is 362/183 to give you an idea on that. Type in the part numbers you found and see what their valving is. If you go with a longer than 13" compressed length shock you may need to get bump stop spacers, I recall that specific shock was the tallest possible with the bumpstops coming in contact before the shock bottomed but i still recommend a spacer or taller bump especially if you haul heavy loads or drive fast.

Thanks for the info! ? Really appreciate it!
Found these options on the Bilstein catalog as well:Bilstein right valving.JPG

Still looking for the right valving for the FJ/4Runner option I posted

I see though that those I posted are the 5165 series which is remote res and probably a lot more expensive though...
to keep in mind, I want the best bang for buck and quality on a budget here.

@Toasty

Bilstein right valving 2.JPG

So it looks like those FJ/4Runner shocks are 128/105 valved...
How do you think this would work/relate on the Montero? I'm no expert on shocks so not sure what the would be like on the montero? Way too soft and unsafe feeling on road? premature wear and tear.
The local resellers have these in stock,

Also those 2 you recommend aren't stocked locally here according to the Bilstein importers/resellers I've been in contact with:cry::cry::rolleyes::rolleyes:unfortunately

Toasty

I ran those 5156's before and they were really nice. I'm no shock expert and honestly once you get custom valved shocks even at the low end of the price spectrum everything over the counter becomes about the same. The most bang for your buck is going to be whatever you get a deal on.

I ran those 5156's before and they were really nice. I'm no shock expert and honestly once you get custom valved shocks even at the low end of the price spectrum everything over the counter becomes about the same. The most bang for your buck is going to be whatever you get a deal on.

Good to hear that the 5165's worked well, unfortunately the local suppliers don't stock them here:rolleyes::rolleyes::cry:
I have contacted the local Fox supplier for the 8" 2.0s, but no reply since Monday so that's not promising so far:rolleyes:

"So it looks like those FJ/4Runner shocks are 128/105 valved..." Have you ever run anything with similar valving to this? Think it will be too soft?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles