Pajero/Montero Gen 2/2.5 best wheel offset & size info etc

Hi guys,

forgive me if this has been discussed at length before, but I am looking at some upgrades on my Pajero in the next few months and would like some advice:

I've had 15" Wheels on the Gen 2.5 LWB Pajero before, and like them, but the tyre size, availability and prices are not to my liking. Also, wheel options in this size are almost non existent which is another negative.

16" Wheels are currently on my Pajero, they look good, ride well, and have decent availability, pricing, and tyre sizes, with good wheel options. My one hesitation is this size wheel/tyre combo's seem to be going the way of the 15"ers where their availability and support is being phased out to an extent in my experience.

Ultimately, I want to run 35"x12.5 tyres on my Pajero. I don't want to go wider than 12.5, but who knows down the line if I would like to go 37's or bigger (no need or want for the time being, but to future proof for myself, and knowing how I can get carried away with mods).
With this in mind, I am tempted to stay 16" wheels, this would be ideal, but if I wanted to upgrade to 37's in the future, there is no availability locally for 37's in anywhere close to a 12.5 width for 16s. Now I would probably be fine with 35 for the lifetime of my Pajero, but what if....

If I go 17's, this seems like the best current size in availability, pricing and size options, and also gives the option of upgrading the brakes of the car, and is most likely the most future proof.
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THIS?

Regardless of what wheel diameter I go, what are the best:

- Wheel widths for 12.5"/315mm tyres for off-road, on a Pajero, mixed driving of road and all terrains? running 35" tyres
- What is the best wheel offset coupled with this wheel width for the Pajero, running a 2" body life and 2" suspension lift?
- What is the ideal back spacing for the above? (most local companies here don't provide details for back spacing on their available wheels, but I'm sure I can get that information)

Please let me know your thoughts, experience and recommendations!

Current wheel and tyre setup: 16" OEM 7j 0 offset 265/75/16 32"x10.5 BFG KM3's

Thanks!Sequence 01.00_07_51_23.Still036.jpg

There is no "best", it depends on your preference and driving style. I didn't see you say what gearing you have, factor that in.

I ended up picking my wheel size based on what tires I could find abundantly. Offroad tire prices are a joke, after spending $1300 on new 33's a long time ago, I sold them and only run 35" junkyard sets now $100 for 4. I run identical size random brand spares cause I only use the spare if I get a blowout and not in rotation. In the US there's lots of american trucks that run 17" wheels so 35's and 37's are pretty easy to find in that size. Find the sweet spot on wheel offset low enough where they won't rub your steering arms, but not so low that you're putting stress on your hubs or wearing wheel bearings out.

In my experience 15" wheels are too small, caliper clearance is so small they would rip off barrel weights so I had to always use clip balance weights. 16's are fine if you can find tires in your sizes easily. 17's are best in my case for the above reason, anything bigger than 17" is unnecessary if you ask me.

There is no "best", it depends on your preference and driving style. I didn't see you say what gearing you have, factor that in.

I ended up picking my wheel size based on what tires I could find abundantly. Offroad tire prices are a joke, after spending $1300 on new 33's a long time ago, I sold them and only run 35" junkyard sets now $100 for 4. I run identical size random brand spares cause I only use the spare if I get a blowout and not in rotation. In the US there's lots of american trucks that run 17" wheels so 35's and 37's are pretty easy to find in that size. Find the sweet spot on wheel offset low enough where they won't rub your steering arms, but not so low that you're putting stress on your hubs or wearing wheel bearings out.

In my experience 15" wheels are too small, caliper clearance is so small they would rip off barrel weights so I had to always use clip balance weights. 16's are fine if you can find tires in your sizes easily. 17's are best in my case for the above reason, anything bigger than 17" is unnecessary if you ask me.

Thanks for your response!
Gearing, my Pajero has 4.9 differential gears, with the standard transfer reduction, I am however planning in the future to run 3.15 transfer gears.

Regarding offsets, how would I know what is right without actually fitting and testing the wheel and tyre? With the 7j 0 offset there is obviously no clearance issues, if I go to an 8j wheel would going -20 be fine or to a 10j -40? I know this is just thumb sucking but any advise on what other people run will be appreciated.

I definitely wouldn’t want any bigger than 17”, it’s an off-road vehicle after all, but would love to stay 16 but like I mentioned, tyres sizes etc can be an issue.

Thanks for your response!
Gearing, my Pajero has 4.9 differential gears, with the standard transfer reduction, I am however planning in the future to run 3.15 transfer gears.

Regarding offsets, how would I know what is right without actually fitting and testing the wheel and tyre? With the 7j 0 offset there is obviously no clearance issues, if I go to an 8j wheel would going -20 be fine or to a 10j -40? I know this is just thumb sucking but any advise on what other people run will be appreciated.

I definitely wouldn’t want any bigger than 17”, it’s an off-road vehicle after all, but would love to stay 16 but like I mentioned, tyres sizes etc can be an issue.

As far as offset, I've noticed staying around 0+/- anywhere between 6-8" wheel width is pretty safe. I currently run a 7.5" wide wheel with +15 offset and my 35" tires will hit steering arms without spacers. If you want to be more thorough and gather more useful info than you can find on the internet, just pull a wheel and sit there with a notepad and a couple measuring devices like ruler/square and take measurements off the hub face in all directions lock to lock and use as a reference to find your ideal offset.

I don't know if SA has more strict tire poke laws like Australia or other countries where if the tire is outside the arch at all you need flare/flaps/deflectors, but that's another aspect to get right since there's no good flare options for OEM box flares on the Gen2.5 that I'm aware of.

As far as offset, I've noticed staying around 0+/- anywhere between 6-8" wheel width is pretty safe. I currently run a 7.5" wide wheel with +15 offset and my 35" tires will hit steering arms without spacers. If you want to be more thorough and gather more useful info than you can find on the internet, just pull a wheel and sit there with a notepad and a couple measuring devices like ruler/square and take measurements off the hub face in all directions lock to lock and use as a reference to find your ideal offset.

I don't know if SA has more strict tire poke laws like Australia or other countries where if the tire is outside the arch at all you need flare/flaps/deflectors, but that's another aspect to get right since there's no good flare options for OEM box flares on the Gen2.5 that I'm aware of.

I reckon I'll give that a go measuring my clearances! Thanks.
Luckily SA is very lackadaisical when it comes to poke and vehicle laws! No issues there whatsoever.

Anyone else that would like to share their setup/experiences?

I think that the choice of wheels primarily depends on the tasks that the owner of the car sets for himself.

When I had the 2nd generation Montero, I chose the size 285/75/16/0" for my car. My car was not used for driving on heavy off-road. But if during the expedition I suddenly found myself in front of a heavy off-road area, I just used an electric winch and was not upset that I did not install the wheels 37."

At the same time, when driving on ordinary roads, the balance of speed and fuel consumption was observed.

I had a 5.25 differential, the suspension was completely standard, the body was raised by 2"-0"

Thanks, some good insights you have there, I love my current wheels and going to 35's would mean new wheels as I don't think a 315/12.5 would sit safely on a 7j on the road. So while its not off the table yet, I may just go 285/75/16's or 255/85/16, but time will tell, not planning on rushing into it

So...

Made this video if anyone is interested to watch:

32 vs 33 vs 35 inch tyre option opinions.

Anyone on here have any experience they could share regarding 255/85 R16's?
I like the idea of a skinnier, lighter, slightly taller alternative to 285/75's

Thanks!

Nbf

There is no noticeable difference. 255/85 were installed on my Pajero-1. On my Pajero-2, I wrote about it above, tires were installed in the size of 285/75. At the level of sensations, on public roads, fuel consumption on 255/85 tires was slightly lower. When driving on flat wheels on liquid mud, there was no noticeable difference, although according to the laws of physics, 285/75 should be more effective in this situation. On rocky ground, 285/75 seemed more predictable to me, but this is also at the level of sensations. In addition, you need to remember that my comparison is not entirely correct: Pajero-1 and Pajero-2 have noticeable differences and this could also influence my opinion.
Perhaps I would have continued to use 255/85, but my choice in favor of 285/75 was also influenced by the fact that in our country the wheel size of 255/85 is not popular and the choice of tires of this size is small. In our expeditions, it often happens that one or two wheels are damaged, and the prospect of being away from civilization without wheels of the right size does not please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior